1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports

Discussion in 'Small Talk' started by Secad MS, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Sports: Recreation and a way to tell some traits of various cultures. Do you guys play any? Watch any often?

I am on a basketball team and working towards my black belt in karate currently. I used to play on a soccer team, but that was ended as the coach wouldn't come back. I love both, but I prefer karate, as it has real-life applications and less-nasty class/teammates.

If I could, I would play on the male's team. :p

2. Over the years, I've participated in karate, baseball, football, and soccer (and paintball, if you count that as a sport.) I quit karate after the first class because all we did was learn how to count to 10 in Japanese. I played baseball for a few years, even though I sucked royally at it. Football is by far my favorite sport. I play linebacker, nose tackle, full back, and occaisionally punter. Football is also how I earned my school nickname of Zippy. I'm halfway good at soccer too. I play defense, and I hold my own out there I guess. Paintball really isn't a sport, but me and my friends play Woodsball occaisionally. I'm also starting golf lessons soon, but I'm a little worried because people say golf takes a lot of patience, but I have no patience, so I'll probably get kicked out for smashing my club against the ground Happy Gilmore style.

3. I'm laughably terrible at sports. I have very rudimentary depth perception and terrible balance, and airborne objects trace mechanically impossible paths in order to hit me in the head. It's quite remarkable actually.

I used to swim quite a lot but I got sick of it in high school and quit. I'm thinking about going back and doing it more often recreationally cuz I'm getting overweight. I tried out yoga with my mom and sister and really liked it. Unfortunately the teacher I liked left and the replacement makes it actually very difficult and they keep the practice room at about 27 degrees C with stagnant air, which is way too hot for me! I got dehydrated and nearly fainted the last time. I might get a yoga video, then I can go at my own pace in a cool room (i.e. my basement).

I'm also planning to ride my bike more often since it's good exercise and I won't have a car when I move to Toronto in the fall. Transportation!

4. Any sport with a ball, which seems to be a lot, is out of question. Like Keleri, balls seem to change physics for a second to hit me in the head. Like one time during a church dodge ball game, a ball glanced off of my boyfriend's arm (who was trying to protect me) and flew directly at my head, really bending up my glasses and giving me a black eye. It was redonkulus.

But I do participate in Marching Band, and if any other marchers are willing to back me up, I'll call it a sport. Takes a lot of air, teamwork, air, concentration, air, butt muscles and air. Cuz you're marching around a football field at 160 bpm blowing air into a horn that's probably as tall as you un-tangled for about 7 minutes for a short show. And even flutes have a hard time because they don't have any pressure coming back from their horn. The people up front in the pit on the xylophones (and drum majors, but they do a lot of band camp with you) are the only ones who don't get much exercise, but they have really hard music. So yeah.

5. I am a dedicated recurve archer, currently shooting 24 lb, which is pretty heavy. My other sports are things that involve water; Kayaking, wildriver rafting, swimming.

I suck at things thay involve balls or excessive movement of legs.

6. Well, I'm not a huge sports fan, but I do enjoy a few types. I've been playing volleyball for years, and I believe as of the next season it'll be eight years total. I don't really have anyone to practice with between seasons, though, so I remain at average skill level. *Shrug.* I've also started doing martial arts in the past year, a Chinese variety. When it comes to swimming, I do it whenever I can. ^_^

I'd also like to pick up archery, if it'd be possible.

7. That's what she said. ;)

In reply to Kel's comment about yoga, I've tried it, for three years even. However, I found it too slow, as well as too boring. During meditation, my mind would wander all over the the place. At least I gained a lot of flexibility from it. :p

8. Sports make me unhappy. They're boring, to me, and I just can't enjoy them. I never have been able to.

#8 Galaxite, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  9. I just started golf... and I am the WORST golfer ever.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Im really bad at sports I kinda like tennis and rounders but I never watch any sports on tv