• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

So many mistakes...

:@ You know, I felt I just had to share this. When I got an official guide to Legendary and Mythical Pokémon, I expected it to be reliable. But here's a list of the mistakes I found.

-Spotted this one right away, they have Mewtwo listed as the New Species Pokémon, which is Mew's term, instead of the Genetic Pokémon. The worst part is, it had listed Mewtwo X and Mewtwo Y as the Genetic Pokémon.

-They have Zekrom as a Dragon/Flying type, when he's a Dragon/Electric.

-They say Hoopa is Psychic/Ghost in both forms, when he's Psychic/Dark when unbound.

-They don't even mention Meloetta's Pirouette form, or Keldeo's Resolute Form, or Black Kyurem/White Kyurem, or the Therian Forms, or Deoxy's other forms, or Giratina's Origin form. They mention Shaymin's Sky Form, but they don't say anything about it except that it exists. It doesn't even have a picture.

-Don't get me started on all the Height and Weight problems, there are way too many.

Yeah, "Everything you need to know." my behind. Now, you might say, 'They were only focusing on base Pokémon, they left out the other forms on purpose.' Well, no. They mentioned Hoopa's unbound form, but they got the type wrong. And don't tell me they didn't put a sidebar for Hoopa unbound because it's not his base form. The primals and megas have sidebars. Well, this was fun!

It's a Scholastic book, and the copyright information on the back would seem to indicate that the author did all of this work on their own with no official help(maybe not even sanctioning) from Nintendo, and very clearly did not care to double-check ANY of their work. From the looks of it, this just isn't a very surprising thing to have occurred.

Why did you buy a guide to legendary and mythical pokémon in the first place? Surely it wouldn't have any information you couldn't already find online?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Why did you buy a guide to legendary and mythical pokémon in the first place? Surely it wouldn't have any information you couldn't already find online?
I'm a bit of a sucker for books. I love having cool-looking guides or interesting books on my book shelf. I really love my Bioshock Guide, and even though all the information and help it provides was available online, and often mot as detailed/complete as the internet counterpart, I just like having a physical copy of something. I think it's the collector in me ♥

That said, I'd hate to have one full of errors and incorrect info! I'd always be thinking about it whenever I see the book xD

This has been happening for years and years – I had a Pokédex book when I was a very small teapot that covered the original 151, and it was rife with errors. A lot of the books are done on the cheap to get some quick merchandise money.
I think I had the same book. It was actually my first introduction to pokemon, and before I got my first White game, I thought there was only 152 (counting Togepi) pokemon. I was so confused when I booted up the game.