• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

So... I want to showcase your art. Yes, you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You can give full credit to Reynald for this one ^^

It always amuses me how touched people are when they get asked to do a Member Showcase, have their pictures used as avatars or signatures, or showcased around the site in general. In my eyes, all of you dedicated artists deserve it, so it seems only natural to praise you for all of your hard work.

So, I thought up this. You know how deviant Art gives people the ability to showcase their favourite picture/piece? Well, I'd like to do the same in my own way: a short profile on each of our artists and their favourite piece of work (including both members and mods/admins). I don't just mean actual pictures either. Digital creations, sprite work, or stuff you built/sculptured is still artwork.

For this to work, I'm going to need some information from you guys, though. For starters, I want you to choose your favourite piece - or maybe just that special piece you think deserves more love - and to write a bit about it. It can be anything from what makes it special to you, what tools you used to create it, how long it took to draw/design/create it, etc. If you don't want to write something lengthy, don't feel obligated to. I just know myself that I love reading the creator's notes behind any piece of art.

Second... An actual profile. I'm thinking something brief, but detailed enough to get your name out there. You guys feel free to suggest more categories for a profile, but this is the basic info I'm hoping to collect:

* Your name or commonly used screen names for artistic related purposes around the net

* Your "tools of the trade", because I know that many of you use various mediums when creating.

* The urls and names of websites you use to showcase your artwork (could be a dA account or a personal website). If Pokecharms is the only place you post art, that's perfectly fine. Just link to your art thread(s).

* And a quick bio (totally optional). If there is anything else you'd want to share, maybe how long you've been an artist, the types of things you enjoy drawing the most or your favourite styles (ie. Anime or cartoony, realistic, etc.). This is pretty much anything goes.

... and that's it. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I'd just like to do a better job at showcasing this community because there's just so much bloody talent around here XD And I think everyone who's been dedicated to their work has earned at least that much.

Questions? Comments? Curses? ^^;

Just one last thing! If any of you are interested, please PM me your info - don't post it directly in this thread. I'd like it to be a surprise to the website when I finally post it =)

C

Celadon

So, the first few questions!^^;
The urls and names of websites you use to showcase your artwork (could be a dA account or a personal website)
Is it necessary that we have a showcase on another website? Won't just 'Charms do?

Secondly, does this include sprites?

Anyways, this is quite an appreciable concept, and has my full-fledged support.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hah, I was waiting for both of those questions XD

For the first, nope, it's not necessary to list another website. If Charms is your main source for posted art online (or the only source you feel like sharing), then linking to your Charms thread is just fine.

Second, I think I will include sprite work, too, because we do have many talented spriters around here. I debated separating sprites from this and doing a unique showcase for them, but to me that almost feels like a slap in the face... Maybe I'm reading into it too much though and that's what people would want. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback ^^

C

Celadon

What do you guys think?
I hope this is not SPAM.
Great! I wanted it to be like that. Especially because most websites do not maintain a showcase for sprites (only for art, they do), and they are often neglected.
(only my opinion, though)
So, as I said, you have my full support :3

P.S. Thanks for that 'no other website needed' statement. I am too lazy to make another account at any rate :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I hope this is not SPAM.

Not spam at all. You're just answering my question and giving feedback XD

And I agree about spriters needing more love. Maybe cheap color swaps aren't anything to write home about, but some of the work I've seen...? That stuff takes talent and time.

[quote author=Celadon link=topic=5438.msg87602#msg87602 date=1232712509]P.S. Thanks for that 'no other website needed' statement. I am too lazy to make another account at any rate :p[/quote]

No worries. I probably should've had that in the rules originally anyways because I know for a fact that a number of our members don't use dA and the like. All the power to 'em, I say ^^ (Goes to edit that in)

I would love to be involved with this.
Just one thing. When using different mediums I can't chose just one thing i like the most...
ex)I have a favorite drawing but I couldn't chose that over my favorite sprite, ect...

Do with it what you will, and i would love to see this up and running.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I would love to be involved with this.
Just one thing. When using different mediums I can't chose just one thing i like the most...
ex)I have a favorite drawing but I couldn't chose that over my favorite sprite, ect...

Do with it what you will, and i would love to see this up and running.

Hmm... I would say to pick the medium that you can discuss the most, or that you work with the most. If you're more of a spriter than artistic, use a sprite. If vice versa, use your drawn picture. Or... you could let other people pick for you? XD

Just a thought, because I would rather just have one from each person for now if at all possible. Remember that it doesn't need to necessarily be your "best", just one you feel like showcasing for whatever reason.

Don't worry about time, either. Take as long as you need to decide.

Edit: If other staff members don't object, I figure I'll sticky this for a bit. And thanks for some of the quick PM responses ^^

Edit x2: Alex has asked me to wait on posting these, so I shall do so. Keep PMing them through, though. I'll just keep 'em secret and keep 'em safe for now :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alrighty. Alex had asked me to hold off on my plans for this awhile back, and I've still heard no word on what's going to happen instead... so, I'm going to unsticky this and lock it for now. If/when things change, I'll bump it back to life again. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who PM'd me info. I still have it handy XD

Status
Not open for further replies.