• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

So I just...

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
finished making gingerbread and put the last bastch in the oven. I've got 15 minutes to kill before they're ready, so I thought I'd ask around.

I'm off college today with a sore throat (and also because I have an essay due in and now I have an extra week to do it in). Went to the doctor's earlier to make sure it wasn't anything serious, and it isn't. But because I'm ill, I've had loads of time to kill. I decided to be productive, and after some rummaging I found enough ingredients to make gingerbread.

A random thought occured to me - just what do people do when they take time off for illness? Assuming, of course, that you can still function. So what do you guys do?

Today I baked, but on the whole I usually sit in bed on the computer or a console, maybe catch up on homework, stuff like that. Baking is always a fun way to kill an hour though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Depending on just how sick I am, I'll usually plop myself down in front of a TV and zone out to it all day between naps. Other than that, I'll read something or play a video game.

Sometimes I'll use the internet, too, but usually when I'm feeling cruddy I can't keep focused on it and/or don't like sitting up for that long. TV watching is a much more laid back activity for sickly Katie.

Hope the gingerbread turned out good :3

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The last time I was ill I just slept pretty much the whole time...

Normally I'd probably do some random site stuff though. Which pretty much just makes it like any other time. >>

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'd say read, but generally with me I don't get ill often, and when I am ill it's generally a cold. I rarely get anything else, but colds effect me weirdly, they always go onto my chest and give me breathing problems etc and give me terrible headaches, so reading is out of the question.

I'm pretty much a stay in bed and have the TV while trying to nap kind of girl. When I start to feel a bit better though I'll play on games and stuff, just to break up the day. In summer I'd also go and lay outside in the shade. Fresh air heals all.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
You've made me want to make some now XD

I might pick the ingredients next time I'm out and about. I'll keep baking in mind for when I'm next feeling a little
under the weather.

Hope your throat feels better ^^

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'm on a steady diet of ibuprofen and coffee. My throat's alright as long as I have either of those things on me at all times.

The gingerbread is worth my throat's protesting.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Internetting 'til I get bored, then if there's a tv I lie on a comfy surface with some choccy and watch something. Usually it ends up being the music channels, but some surprisingly interesting stuff sometimes pops up on the documentary stuff.

If there's no tv, then it's internet all day until I get so bored I fall asleep :p

When I'm ill I go to work. I don't get paid to stay at home on my bum. This does of course have the problems of not seeing the GP when I need to and then having subsequent asthma attacks whilst serving customers in one of the dust and lint riddled environments you can legally find.

Still alive.

Unless I get prompted by family or Xanth, I'll silently suffer, but at least get paid. When I do take a day off, I surf the 'net, play Pokemon (maybe some other games, but I can't at the moment because I need a new mobo and RAM... and a CPU fan), watch TV or read. I'm going through Faust at the moment :)

The only other problem I've had, which hasn't happened for a couple years now due to some lovely pills from the GP, is the terrible CRAMPS. Yeah, spending one day a month with a hot bottle on your pillow, the taste of vomit in your mouth and painkillers an arm reach away while you sleep is not fun. Well, at least not my idea of it.

Misery enjoys company, so I have no qualms with infecting the shopping masses :p

I haven't made my DS long enough to play when I get sick, but's that's what I'm gonna do from now on. For as long as I can remember, when I was TRULY sick enough to be beridden, I either watched some TV or slept. Mainly slept. My mom says if I'm well enough to get on the computer then I'm well enough to walk around and etc. Which is total bullshit in my opinion. But I just catch some sleep, which I love doing.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm a generally healthy person and even when I get sick I still go to school and other places as needed.

However on the rare occation that I am severly down with the sickness I'm in bed sleeping most of the day, eating something light like saltine crackers (if I'm even eating at all), and going to the bathroom either naturally or forcefully depending on the ailment. When I can't sleep anymore I'll either lay in bed listening to music or watching TV if anything good is on.

I don't actually get ill or least never ill enough to take time off of university or work but i suppose if i did I'd be on the internet most of the day probally cook and eat loads.

i don't actually watch TV but get all of my entrainment through the internet
youtube, BBC iplayer etc

I haven't been sick in a while, but when I was I stayed home and watched day time telly. Thank the lord I got Sky now...

*Turns on MTV only too see Westwood*

I take back that final statement

I usually just sleep and hope the medicine kicks in. :p

I also play video games, read, and use the computer. When I feel lonely, I text my friends in class and make fun of them because they have to work. ;D

Most of the time when I'm sick, it's just an upset stomach and nothing contagious, so I go to school. (I can't say work yet, since I have no job). But when its contagious, I watch movies (most of the time their anime, of course), read manga, or on rare occasions, I read an actually American book! LOL I also play video games until my friends get home from school so I can call them.

Nothing much different than the others around the board. I s'pose it would depend on what kind of sick I was.

If, for say, stomach flu or other such "crap," I would likely not want to be too active, and thus likely be in bed reading a book. If I could sit up, possibly be on the computer.

Having a cold doesn't really get me out of things often, but if I had some free time I'd likely be doing what I usually do (aside from gardening, which I love!)

Tailon

Gryffindork
It's summer now, and being just MONTHS from driving alone I spend most of my time as if sick, which means wasting alot of time watching TV, here on pokecharms, or playing TF2 or platinum.

If I have stomach flu, sleeping and watching TV is a personal favorite.

Otherwise I do serious video gaming. And if I end up with a bad athsma cough like every other year? a day or two, or sometimes three off for uber-gaming, usually accompanied by internet-iering. :D

Come to think of it... I've never had gingerbread. Is it cinnamon-y? :)

-AL