• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Sniper Drapion

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Drapion@Scope Lens
Calm Nature, Trained in Defense
Sniper

Pin Missle
Cross Poison
Night Slash
Aerial Ace

Pin missle, though it isn't High Critical itself, hits multiple times making it more likely to get a critical hit. Truly the luck based attack of this Set with such a wildly varying power, ranging from 0 to 210 with Five Criticals.

Cross Poison and Night Slash are STAB'd and High critical to stack with Scope Lens, though I consider possibly getting rid of Cross Poison so I can have Pin Missle and Aerial Ace. Cross Poison has a 10% chance of Poisoning which in itself can destroy tanks, but poison offers horrible coverage.

Aerial Ace is in the event I come up against something using Double Team, I'd like this to be an Anti-Tank of sorts, so this offers more Anti-Tank Coverage.

for anyone who may not know what the term "Tank" means, it is a pokemon who uses many stat boosting attacks. Critical Hits have the ability to break Stat Changes, so this is an effective way around them considering it breaks them AND will do triple damage.

I'd consider Baton Passing Focus Energy onto it as well.

I haven't really given much thought to Drapion before, so thanks for any suggestions ;)

Is this for standard play?
Aerial Ace is in the even I come up against something using Double Team.
Because evasion clause covers that for you.

Looks pretty good over all, Knock off might be an idea if you really want to upset tanks. Brick Break might be an idea for coverage on steel types that will probably come your way. I like the thought behind pin missle but id have to see it tested first to judge.

Nature is off but its up to you if you want to rebreed.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
as far as the suggestion on nature goes, I haven't bred it yet ;p
I meant to say Careful though, Not Calm... I want Special attack to go down, not physical.

I want it to be Defensively trained, and I'm relying on Critical hits themselves to do damage, while it lives to take a good few hits. Most Defensive Tanks don't have a lot of hardcore power anyway, and also tend to rely on Toxic.

Knock off will definitely take care of Leftovers... but I'd probably put brick break sooner.

What is this evasion clause you speak of? I was wanting a way to fit in anti-steel, but I prioritized Aerial Ace over that. I mainly go by the Pokecharms Standard rules and I didn't see anything against double team there.

Hmmm, Evasion Clause...how should I put this...hmmm, got it!

Evasion Clause is a rule that makes all Pokemon's Evasion cannot be boosted by Double Team or Minimize and the like. I'm pretty sure Acupressure is fine since it chooses a random stat. Also, Sand Veil is fine as well, since it's so minor. Some people play with this Clause since it doesn't have to really focus on Pokemon that know never-miss moves or can use Haze and the like.

Doesn't hit Steels...but you know the options. Elemental Fangs are there, as well as EQ and Rock Slide. Some minor things.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sand Veil is fine as well, since it's so minor.

From what I know, it is illegal for a Pokemon with Sand Veil/Snow Cloak to hold the Brightpowder item, which would further cut an opponent's accuracy down. Probably due to the fact that using the item and ability together would constitute intentionally boosting your evasion, which is what the evasion clause is designed to stop.

Anyway, here's my attempt at a Drapion moveset:

Drapion @ Scope Lens
Sniper
Careful

- Night Slash
- Cross Poison
- Ice Fang/Fire Fang
- Earthquake

Basically what Plapti said...you've got Night Slash and Cross Poison for STAB'ed high Crit-chance moves, Earthquake to stop Steel-types from walling you and either Ice Fang to take out Ground and Dragon-types, since they will both probably be wielding Earthquake which Drapion is weak to, or Fire Fang to take out Skarmory, who will otherwise be able to completely wall you.

One question: You've stated that you've trained it in Defense, so I'm guessing that means 252 EV's in Defense. How have you distributed the rest between your Attack and HP stats?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I have not trained or even bred it yet.

and I should really be more clear about training defensively

I mean I'm going to train its defenses, or some blend between Defense, Special Defense, and HP. Special Defense will likely get Max EVs, but it isn't definite.

I'd go for Fire Fang first. This Drapion is only intended to take out Defensive foes, not Dragons.

I'd go for Fire Fang first. This Drapion is only intended to take out Defensive foes, not Dragons.
The problem with that is that if I were to face you, I'd send out my Garchomp and kill your Drapion if you dont have ice fang :S it all depends on your team though, just like I gave my electivire Fire punch instead of Ice punch since I have a Vaporeon to deal with Dragons.

From what I know, it is illegal for a Pokemon with Sand Veil/Snow Cloak to hold the Brightpowder item, which would further cut an opponent's accuracy down. Probably due to the fact that using the item and ability together would constitute intentionally boosting your evasion, which is what the evasion clause is designed to stop.
its frowned upon but its not illegal. People get pissed but its not banned from standard play. A weather change can counter it nicely.

Between Fire Fang and Ice Fang, it's all about who you want to hit.

Fire Fang hits Skarmory, Brongzong, Registeel, and Steelix harder.
Ice Fang hits Dragons, Grounds, Fliers

Either way, both are solid options. Thunder Fang even has a spot for itself. With Water-types common, Thunder Fang deals with it nicely.

It's all up to what his team needs.

Well, maybe this set?

Drapion and Scope lens
Sniper

Ice Fang/Pin Missile
Night Slash
Cross Poison
Focus Energy/Earthquake

Ice fang for Dragons, or Pin Missile if you have a pokemon to deal with Dragons. Night Slash for STAB, and high critical hit. Cross Poison for STAB, as well as Toxication, I think. Focus Energy to raise the Critical hit Ratio of Pin Missile (or all moves for that matter), or Earthquake to hit Steel Types, and Rock types. Overall Coverage.

Aerial Ace is in the event I come up against something using Double Team

Grammar error? Maybe add a t to make even event, otherwise it sounds grammatically incorrect.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Payback, Shado? ;D

Sadly, Skorupi/Drapion cannot Learn Focus Energy...
I thought they could at first too, and I almost included it in my first moveset.
Cross poison also only inflicts normal poison at a 10% chance... I wanted it more for the STAB and High-Critical.

Pin Missile
Cross Poison
Night Slash
Brick Break/Fire Fang

I think that brick break will offer the best coverage with some Power, and Skarmory taken into account. I really don't need it to take out Dragons or other offensive pokemon, just other pokemon with really high defenses.

Payback, Shado? ;D

Sadly, Skorupi/Drapion cannot Learn Focus Energy...
I thought they could at first too, and I almost included it in my first moveset.
Cross poison also only inflicts normal poison at a 10% chance... I wanted it more for the STAB and High-Critical.

I didn't check the movesets on this one. >>
Shame Skorupi can't learn focus energy. I got the the idea for this statement of yours:

[quote author=Ruko link=topic=4221.msg56975#msg56975 date=1208640244]
I'd consider Baton Passing Focus Energy onto it as well.
[/quote]

You confused me with that.
What do you mean Payback? Your Grammatical error? I can't stand reading incorrect Grammar though