• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sitting here, getting paid... Surfing Pokecharms

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's nice working in a computer lab. Easy internet access, and my PC's at the front of the class so nobody can really see what I'm doing. It's not like I'm slacking off too much - I'm just filling in the spare time when I have nothing else to do, no one to help, etc. They're fairly self-sufficent students being adults and whatnot XD

I wouldn't want to jump on web messenger or anything, though. Stuff like MSN takes too much focus (at least for me). Even actively posting is kinda bad, but... it's quiet right now. XP

So... Anyone else have a job around computers that allows you to freely use the web during work hours? Alternatively, do you have enough downtime to get on cellphone internet, text messaging, etc.? Or if none of those apply... what sort of slackerish things do you do and get paid for? XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I don't get paid, but I'm often on 'Charms at school. Having a wifi-enabled netbook is awesome. :3

Last semester when I was working for a local school district I would often surf the interwebs in my downtime. I usually frequented 'Charms too as I was bored and as there was too much good stuff blocked by Bess (a web filter) I usually ended up in chat too if I had the time. :3

I talk a lot when it's not busy where I work. And I often talk with friends when they come in to dine as well. And I still get paid for it too. Or working on the office computer, waiting for something else to do, I often open up and play a quick game of Solitaire or Minesweeper, cause I just can.

So when it's not busy, I talk a lot and still get paid for it. It's awesome, isn't it?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I certainly do. I'm the marketing designer at a company, and I work from home. Therefore, no filters, no one one watching, no one to see how much time I actually spend working XD

I'm fairly good with time management, and when there is a lot to do I get too it. But often, I have longer to do the job than I actually need, so 'Charms gets a good few visits. I make Tea a lot too, and often get distracted by my Gerbils. They're fun ^^

It is nice to know that I'm getting paid while not working. Besides, I work better if I have frequent but short breaks. It helps concentration and makes the whole thing more relaxed.

Not computer related, but since I've still got the part time job at a Supermarket, I may as well mention what I get up there. It's generally busy all the time, especially since I'm customer service, but when it's quiet I tend to have a good old natter with the other staff members who are at the front end (Kiosk/Till/Self Service).

When the store closes however, the fun begins. Never has a sword fight with out of date french bread been so savage XD

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
To be honest, my school has blocked Pokecharms because it's somehow in the "Games" category. So I spend my time trying to look for a proxy website that lets me in here.

So far, I've tried about 300 sites, and none of them worked (okay, about 100, but still... and I'm not exaggerating about 100. over 20 pages of clicking on Google links... yeeeeeeaaaaaah)

I has mIRC stuffs on my USB, so I may try to chat sometime. Doubt it'll work though. XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
'Charms, thankfully for me, isn't blocked at school. Yet. I will seriously stab things if it gets blocked, though - Bulbapedia wasn't blocked for a while, but they blocked it later.

Yeah, at school the two senior grades get their on personal laptops. Small little blue ones. We use them to write stories. I just go on MSN, and chat with the others in my classroom. Pokemon Crater has been blocked, so had Miniclip. I remember once I was on MSN. You know the noise when someone messages you(The notification one) I made this a big long guitar riff. My friend messaged me, i didn't know I had my sound up. Then riff echoed through the whole room. I had 50 faces look back at me. Now I spend my days posting on Poke charms.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Now, this amused me when I heard it on the radio yesterday:

Surfing the Internet at Work Boosts Productivity

People who are able to spend 20 percent or less of their time surfing the Internet at work are more productive than those who don't, according to research from the University of Melbourne. Small Internet breaks help workers focus better, though Internet addicts still have a problem.

However, as amusing as the study results are, I'm not sure if I'd fit the criteria on quiet days like today (will probably only have a max of 3 students all afternoon, thus lots of internet surfing). My co-worker, who's students are all at an assembly, just walked off to rest his head on his desk XP

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
So... Anyone else have a job around computers that allows you to freely use the web during work hours? Alternatively, do you have enough downtime to get on cellphone internet, text messaging, etc.? Or if none of those apply... what sort of slackerish things do you do and get paid for? XD

When I was working at Tesco, if I was on the Customer Services desk, I'd spend 90% of my time either reading a newspaper or magazine or random stuff, texting on my phone, playing games on my phone, or just generally dicking around with people and about 10% ever actually serving customers.

Especially on Sundays.

I had a job the summer before last where I interned setting up the computers in classrooms at a local community college. As it was a learning internship, they had a lot for us to do for the first two weeks or so, but after that I came in and spent the entire day either playing Diamond or reading webcomics. That was when I read the entirety of Bob & George, as well as looked at every last picture on I can has cheezburger.
I got paid $8.50/hour for two weeks forth of that. It was pretty nice.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
When I was working at Tesco, if I was on the Customer Services desk, I'd spend 90% of my time either reading a newspaper or magazine or random stuff, texting on my phone, playing games on my phone, or just generally dicking around with people and about 10% ever actually serving customers.

I must be working in the wrong store then XD

I spend all my time behind the customer service desk working my ass off. If I so much as try to set foot out of the 'box' customers descend upon me like a plague. It's good that I barely work there, otherwise I'd probably have had a meltdown by now.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Our Tesco makes Expresses look massive. It was an awesome place to work 'cos it really wasn't proper work in a proper Tesco. Getting about £500 a month for dicking around more than half the time was win.

At school, we get laptops twice a week. The district is kind of debating wether all students should have their own laptops, 'cause we do so much technical stuff. I'm with it. ;D

Luckily, our Laptops don't block Pokecharms, so all I have to do is open up two windows, one with Pokecharms, and one with the crappish math questions... I regret nothing.

There is an entire lab full of computers, which is empty almost all the time. So I can go on Pokecharms, surf the web, or even play games without being disturbed. Although that privilage might be lost when summer comes around, since everyone will be crowding inside at that time.

But doing it at home is good enough for me

unluckily for me my school has every fun website you can think of blocked, and you know who is responsible, a guy called MR.Butt, i kid you not, so when I'm in my IT lesson I'm normal on youtube listening to music while working. and when i say working i mean do nothing. so all in all a pretty sweat deal

P.S. i hope i get a job like Alex's

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I used to sit and play on my DS when I was working over summer. We had so much down time it wasn't funny, so I just sat on my DS until something came up. Sometimes I'd read the newspaper when I was bored.