• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Site Changes for the Nintendo WFC Closure

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Since Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection closed its doors in May, the online functions of all games on the Nintendo DS no longer function, including the fourth and fifth generation of Pokémon games.. This means that only X and Y (and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire when they are released) will function online now.

As such, we have cleaned up the options available on the site to account for this change:
  • Areas of the forum dealing with online play (Pokémon Wi-Fi, The Doctor's Clinic, and Pokécharms Organised Play) now display your 3DS friend code on your posts, owing to now being the only code applicable. If you have not set this already, you can find it in your Contact Details settings.
  • The profile fields for all fourth and fifth generation friend codes have been permanently removed from the site and are no longer available to access on your profile, or edit in your Contact Details. The affected fields are:
    • Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2[prebreak][/prebreak]
  • Generation 4 and Generation 5 are no longer selectable as prefixes in the Pokémon Wi-Fi forum. The Generation 4 and Generation 5-related prefixes have been left selectable in the Doctor's Clinic due to the presence of battle simulators, however.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Well, there's not really much way around the fact that we haven't got Nintendo WFC anymore, so any DS friend codes are literally useless numbers now. There's no point storing them. Thus, we've lost something that's of no value, and gained a new feature in the process. I would hope that would add up to a good change overall.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Luxray901: They turned off both at the same time. :p All DS games no longer function online, that's the point. They're retired the online service for a discontinued handheld, well after they stopped selling it.

...............NO!!!!
Why, just, why? First Mariokart, now this?! My life is over.

The online functionality for Pokemon games were lackluster at best-- You're truly not missing out on much other than the GTS and a bunch of kids throwing around their legendaries in battles.

While I feel a bit sorry that the old friend codes had to go away, I'm glad they made this move because it makes thing far more streamlined. No more having to juggle six and seven friend codes for different things now.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Okay kids, this thread is abput site changes, not a space for you to whine incoherently about an event that happened two months ago already. If you can't find something to say about either the site changes or say something actually discussable about the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection closing, I'll be handing out warnings for spam.

For reference, @Carmen Lopez's post was one (but not the only) example of coherent discussion. Anyone who used more than one exclamation mark in their post is an example of what is not allowed.

Last edited:

YueliaBreeze

Formerly Midnight Midna, MoonSnow
I think i am kinda okay with this at the moment but with the 3DS FC thing would it ever be possible for when you can add two 3DS FC codes ? i mean like only if you have two 3Ds's since i have two IRL the XL one and the normal that started it but i'm also kinda sad to see the internet go down on black and white and heart gold and soul silver diamond pearl and platinum and black 2 and white 2 it was fun for trading while it lasted to be honest so sad to see it leave and i thought nintendo would never shut it down but i guess i was wrong...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I think i am kinda okay with this at the moment but with the 3DS FC thing would it ever be possible for when you can add two 3DS FC codes ? i mean like only if you have two 3Ds's since i have two IRL the XL one and the normal that started it but i'm also kinda sad to see the internet go down on black and white and heart gold and soul silver diamond pearl and platinum and black 2 and white 2 it was fun for trading while it lasted to be honest so sad to see it leave and i thought nintendo would never shut it down but i guess i was wrong...
Post it in the Feedback forum if you want it, I can give it proper consideration there so it doesn't get lost :)

Okay kids, this thread is abput site changes, not a space for you to whine incoherently about an event that happened two months ago already. If you can't find something to say about either the site changes or say something actually discussable about the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection closing, I'll be handing out warnings for spam.

Shoot, if anything you all should be whining to Nintendo for not implementing something something like this in the first place. Even when the old friend codes were working they were annoying if you had two DS's and switched back and forth between them. Good to Data for implementing the changes on the site ^^

I think it's because of the Wii U failing Nintendo that they had to close down NDS and Wii Wi-Fi. I heard rumors about it and I looked into it and they might be true.

It costs quite a bit of money to run a free Wi-Fi service, and the main successful systems for Nintendo right now are anything in the 3DS family (from what I heard) And with the Wii U not doing so well right now, they probably had to make those measures.

Either that, or just to keep some money to provide for other games and systems by discontinuing the old one's Wi-Fi service. :/

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's because of the Wii U failing Nintendo that they had to close down NDS and Wii Wi-Fi. I heard rumors about it and I looked into it and they might be true.

It costs quite a bit of money to run a free Wi-Fi service, and the main successful systems for Nintendo right now are anything in the 3DS family (from what I heard) And with the Wii U not doing so well right now, they probably had to make those measures.

Either that, or just to keep some money to provide for other games and systems by discontinuing the old one's Wi-Fi service. :/
It's not even that complicated. Companies habitually discontinue old services that aren't making them money (or assisting in making them money) anymore. Remember that the Wii and DS are no longer being sold or manufactured (the Wii Mini doesn't have online functionality), so Nintendo have nothing to gain by keeping their online services on. It is always sad to see these services go, but it's the natural way of these things.