• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sims 2 stories

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
It just occurred to me that some of you might want to read my Sims 2 stories. They're my main creative endeavour at the moment. Actually, working on them is slowly but surely kicking the noises at the back of my head that say I can't write fiction - so it's been pretty good for me :D.

I have two main stories going at the moment - the Friends family and the Grunt family. They're both premade Maxis families that I decided to run with. The Friends family started off as two college students sharing a house who became a gay couple with minimal work on my behalf ;). The Grunt family is this Army-mad family with a single father and three sons.

I've written the stories with very different objectives in mind. All of the photos are genuine screenshots, but they're not all genuine gameplay shots, if you see what I mean. With the Friends family, I've made prodigious use of cheat codes to achieve some of the effects (especially the alien abduction, which would take forever if I just waited for it to happen). The Grunt family is the total opposite - I played the game, took loads of screenshots, and wrote the story around them.

The Friends family:
Chapter 1: The Friends at College (click "next" to go to the next picture)
Chapter 2 - Strangetown nightmares
Chapter 3 is on hold until I get Nightlife, which is on hold until all my favourite modders have revised their hacks to be compatible with Nightlife's code :). Buggered if I'm playing the version of the game Maxis released, with all its bugs.

The Grunt family:
Chapter 1: Tank goes to college
Chapter 2: General Buzz's friend
Chapter 3: Ripp's Secret
Chapter 4 is on hold pending me finishing Chapter 1 of my Super Sekrit Project, which is - yet another Sims story. Anyone would think I was obsessed :p.

If you like either/both stories please comment - also, if you have an EA account and like the stories that are hosted there, please rate them & sign my guestbook. Thanks!

baratron

Staff member
I'm not sure if this is FanFic or FanArt, but here's a silly story about the band Freezepop...

Chapter 1 of the story, "Science Genius Girl", is online in two places:
1. On livejournal. Has the advantage that you get to see the pictures full size straightaway, but the disadvantage that you have to keep clicking "next" at the side to go to the next slide. And lj is significantly less laggy than...

2. At the Sims 2 Exchange. Has the disadvantage that you need to click on the pictures to see them full size, but easier navigation. And, if you have an EA user account, you get to rate my story with lots of stars :).

As I could not have done this alone, the artists & modders who helped are listed in Credits. Special thanks are due to Ren @ Gay Sims Club 2, who made the Freezepop sims for me, and put up with a flurry of emails including such gems as "The SimDuke's nose is too big!". I'm impressed by anyone who can work on a project with me and not go insane :). I'm already having ideas for minor tweaks that can be done to SimFreezepop to make them even more realistic, including silver nail polish for the boys, a better hair mesh for the Duke, and Liz's beauty spot... More Chapters of this story will follow... sometime.

Outtakes & Bloopers has some shots which I personally found funny, but which didn't fit into the story. My favourite is probably this one. (Poor SimSean. That must've hurt!)

Before anyone asks - yes, all the shots are actually from the game, no Photoshopping was used to create them. However, they're not exactly all gameplay shots - prodigious use of cheat codes was involved in setting up some shots. No, I'm not going to spoil the magic and tell you how. PM if you really want to know.

Please comment if you enjoy the story ;) Thanks!

I liked The Friends Family, I didn't read all of The Grunt Family because the pictures wouldn't load and it was annoying me :p

The scene in which Max got abducted was pretty damn funny. It was a good story, I never imagined Sims could be so deep. It almost brought a tear to my eye when Mitch and Max finally got together in chapter one.

baratron

Staff member
Alright, I've made a journal for my Sims 2 stories, so you can bookmark:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/baratronstories/

Any future stories will be posted there, in a journal post style that greatly minimises the number of clicks you need to read the story ;). I've converted one of the older stories, but it's quite a lot of hassle, and I want to actually play the game tonight :D.

I'll try to remember to post here when there's a proper update. But anyone who's on livejournal already can add that journal as a friend if they want to get the scoop as it happens. Some of the "outtakes" and sneak previews will only be posted there.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Unfortunately, I still have to read you stories, Baratron (Though I'm sure they'll be awesome).

I was, however, wondering if you were planning on picking up The Sims 2 for the DS?

I would assume that the cross-over would make it different enough, yet in the same vein as the original...

Truth-be-told, the last Sims I played was waaaaaaaay back on the first expansion of the first game....

Well, unless you count the butchered version of it on The Cube - of which I've played about an hour of........ :?

Also, are you interested in The Movies at all? It's from the father of Populous and Fable but is pretty similar to The Sims in certain parts.

It's certainly the only PC game I've been interested in since the original Sims and makes me a sad Panda that I have to wait to get a new computer to get it... :cry:

I can definitely imagine it managing to beat The Sims senseless - even with the Evil Empire of EA behind The Sims now....

baratron

Staff member
I'm very, very unlikely to get the DS Sims 2. Basically because I tried The Sims for PS2 and Bustin' Out for GameCube, and they both utterly sucked. Trying to play the game without a mouse is... icky. It's possible that the touch screen would get round that, but I dunno.

Also, one of the main reasons I love The Sims is the custom content that you can get into the PC (or Mac) version of the game. I have 300 MB of custom clothing, skintones, make up, genetics & objects in my game, and I am very selective about what I download. Many people I know have upwards of 1 GB. Playing with just the Maxis-made stuff is... meh. Gets old fast.

The Movies is interesting, and has sucked in quite a few simmers who are currently bored with Sims 2 (funny how many people COULDN'T WAIT for Nightlife to come out then lost interest within a month). I just somehow think that if I got it, I wouldn't ever get round to playing it.