• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Silent Release of Two New English Names

Straight from the oddest source, Manene and Manyula got their new English names today. They were seen on official merchandising at one of the stops on Pokémon's 10th anniversary tour, and received no other announcement. Manene shall be henceforth known as Mime Jr. (gag, bland, whose brilliant idea was that?) and Manyula has earned itself the name Weavile (wow, sweet, it's pretty good-looking).

Whatch'all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Mime Jr should have been Mini-Mime but you can see the theme they're getting at with Mr Mime, Mime Jr.

All we need is a Mrs Mime... Not that it's really possible to pull that off considering Mr Mime can be both male and female.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
.... I am SO naming my Manene that. MINI-MIME! xD

So... what do you get when you cross a Heracross and a Sneasel? A Boll Weavile?

Ugh, my ears. -_-

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Am I the only one who thinks Jr. Mime sounds better than Mime Jr.? Either way, I too was banking on "Mini Mime". Ah well =/

If Weavile is a combo of Weasel and evil as TBA pointed out, it really isn't that bad a name when compared to Sneasel (which quite a few of you loathe to begin with).

So now we have Munchlax, Bonsly, Lucario, Mime Jr., and Weavile... Not bad, not bad. And as its been stated many times before, you'll be actively using the names in a few months anyways. Well, unless you're Stel or the name is "Manectric" ('cause who can stand that name?) ;)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If Weavile is a combo of Weasel and evil as TBA pointed out, it really isn't that bad a name when compared to Sneasel (which quite a few of you loathe to begin with).

If "quite a few" equals just Stel, then yes. :p

I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with Sneasel, or Weavile's names - they fit just as well as 99% of all Pokemon names.

Manectric though.... >_> My biggest argument is that they had a perfectly usable romanisation sitting there for them but unlike most of the rest of the R/S generation - they never bothered their arse.