• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS shuckle!and more...

i'm trying to get a good shuckle, i'm going to ev train it at some point...just need an approval rating

shuckle
---nature
toxic
rest
sleeptalk/snore
double team

any good? or do i need to change the moveset, or what? any help would be appreciated.

also....
does light ball work for raichu?
is volt tackle worth using?
is it ok to use my dragonite as a special sweeper?
(its current moveset at lvl 74 is...thunder, fire blast, wing attack, outrage)

The moveset works for me though that's not saying much. It helps Shuckle do what it does best...and that is to annoy me.

The Light Ball does not work on Raichu >:( As a matter of fact I think they invented it just for people who won't evolve their Pikachu. Plus Pikachu's sp is so low it needs all the help it can get. Not so much in Raichu's case. And Volt Tackle is worth using, especially on Raichu. Whether or not you use Dragonite as a sweeper really depends on what you're using for.

i would replace one of your shuckle's moves with spomething with a little more atack power...
QUESTION: where can i get a light ball/in what game?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ryot!, Shuckle has NO attack or speed to speak of. Using a Shuckle as an attacker is pretty much a waste of time. In fact, Shuckle's only real use is an annoyer. >>

Rest and Sleep Talk make a nice combination, especially as Shuckle would take a long while to take any sort of meaningful damage, And Toxic is pretty much a must on an annoyer-shuckle. I'd personally replace Double Team with wrap, though, since you don't want your opponents to switch out, nullifying Toxic and turning it into an ordinary poison (or in case of anything with Natural Cure, nullifying the poison altogether).

To answer your question ryot!

As far as I know, you have to get lucky and catch a Pikachu holding a Light Ball in R/S/E in the Safari Zone. That's how I got mine and you can't Thief or Covet one either. That's the only way I can think of.

oh, that sux! thanks carmen, i also think you can find them on wild pikachu in diamond/pearl... they should have made it possible to get a pikachu holding a light ball in leaf green/fire red, where pikachus are plentiful...

i can understand where you're coming from about wrap, but... double team is a must, especially on an annoyer with such low offense.
i also saw something on serebii about ev training it in attack and giving it earthquake...waste of time if you ask me.
also, i'm going to give the d-nite this moveset, after much council:
flamethrower
t-bolt
dragon dance
dragon claw

only bad part is i have to rebreed to get dragon dance, and that will be hard getting it back to 75...anywho.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
No, I recommend Wrap over double team. Plus Shuckle has the Defenses to take the hits anyway. You'll be much happier with it.

the only problem with shuckle taking hits is his health is crap. so i'd rather he didn't take hits, and when he did take hits they wouldn't be very good...worst comes to worst, i can just use him on their last pokemon.

Doesnt sleep talk make it use one of its other moves? (Never used it, honestly) I would think that could mess you up if it used toxic twice, or it tried to use rest again... i dunno, stop staring at me...

mayhaps. but considering it has no offense, snore is of little value to me. any other suggestions as to a move to put there? safeguard, possibly?

Safeguard is an excellent move for Shuckle. One of the main ways people try to beat Shuckle is by inflicting a status condition. Sandstorm could also be an option along with Toxic but I'm not sure you would want to waste the TM on Shuckle.

Toxic
Safeguard or Rest
Sandstorm
Wrap
This moveset could work. It would be my worst nightmare to meet a Shuckle with this moveset in the Battle Frontier ;D.

well, don't fret. you will meet a toxic shuckle in the battle frontier, whether you like it or not.

so i think what i've boiled it down to is:

double team
toxic
safeguard
rest