• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Shiny tries to competitive

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'm actually not sure what I'm doing half the time, just kind of doing what feels right. So yeah. XD I tend to have the most problems with fairy-types in general, so help with that would be nice. (I originally had Skarmory to set up rocks and stuff, but I recently switched to Crobat. Not sure how much it's helped.)

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze
252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- U-Turn
- Overheat
- Close Combat

My main lead, so far Infernape has been pretty good at trolling spike/stealth rock setters as well as doing damage before switching out to another Pokemon in case the situation isn't looking really good.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Infiltrator
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Cross Poison
- Roost
- Brave Bird

The most recent addition to my team who replaced Skarmory, if only because I rarely if ever used Skarmory to set up rocks and I really needed something to get those pesky fairies. Not really sure how I feel about this guy yet.

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SDef
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

Used to be a spin blocker, now he's just kind of for defensive purposes. He's done pretty well in the times I didn't accidentally switch into an attack it's weak to, especially against water types.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Trace/Pixelate
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Wish
- Protect

Wish passer and also there for defensive purposes. I really liked having Thunderbolt, as it's proven to be more useful than the other moves I've tried for coverage. I originally had Heal Bell instead of Thunderbolt, and I've kind of been going back and forth about that.

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Skill Link
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

Another I'm not really sure how I feel about. Supposed to be my spinner along with helping Gardevoir wreck dragon types. Despite Cloyster's naturally high defenses, he's actually been pretty frail, though probably because I keep switching into special attacks.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Rough Skin
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Been playing around with this set and a Choice Band set which included Dragon Claw. I also tried Poison Jab, but that never really went too well so I'm testing this one.

Just realized I'm really lacking in special stuff, which might be a problem... I might switch Cloyster for Choice Specs Jolteon, who was pretty decent on my team for dealing with flying types trying to kill Trevenant and Infernape and stuff

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
There's not much to say about this since it's fairly standard and pretty good:

- Infernape may find more success with Fire Blast over Overheat due to Fire Blast being more useful when used repeatedly and thus allowing for greater flexibility with offense, and Infernape's powerful enough stat-wise that he doesn't really need Overheat's greater power.

- Consider U-Turn as a possible option for Crobat. Also worth noting that he functions nothing like how Skarmory does despite the similar typing; if you find yourself wanting a sort-of medium between the two, Gliscor is perfect.

- White Herb is a decent choice on Cloyster if you feel like preserving your defenses after Shell Smash. Otherwise he's fine. You mentioned having too many physical attackers; Shell Smash boosts both of Cloyster's offenses, so putting Hydro Pump or Surf onto him can help with that.

- Garchomp now has a new worst enemy in the form of Togekiss. Consider Stone Edge over Fire Fang to get rid of it. Also, Outrage is a free Fairy switch-in if used carelessly; consider Dragon Claw or Dual Chop instead.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Wouldn't having Gliscor on my team mean I'd have a really bad running weakness with ice, though? Not like I don't already have that problem with Crobat, but yeah. <<

As for Cloyster, if I put Hydro Pump or Surf on it, I'm not sure which attack to replace. I'm guessing Rapid Spin then?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
In that case I'd nix Garchomp over anything else in this team for an Ice resist since he currently seems the most "spare" out of your team members.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Alrighty then! Any suggestions for viable team members, then? I feel like I need a ground type but anything can work I guess ^^;

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Seems 'Charms' fucked up and destroyed your actual post as well.

Gliscor would be your Ground-type if it made it into the team. You don't need to have one however.

For Ice-resist, Steel and Water are the most useful types for that job. Any bulky Water or Steel-type should do just fine to cover that weakness for you.