• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Shiny Legendaries?

It is said that, when you receive an egg, it's already determined whether or not it's a shiny or not. Is this the same with Legendaries? Is it determined at the start of a new game that you get a shiny or not?

No, it's not determined at the beginning of the game. For example, if you keep reloading every time you meet a Dialga, it will eventually become shiny. :)

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Eventually doesn't even begin to describe it but yes. You have a 1 in 8192 chance of it being shiny, :p This counts for anything, including plain wild Pokeyman, hatched ones, and Legendaries, and its not determined at the start of the game. So you could do as suggested above, if you have enough patience and no life that is ;)

Eventually doesn't even begin to describe it but yes. You have a 1 in 8192 chance of it being shiny, :p This counts for anything, including plain wild Pokeyman, hatched ones, and Legendaries, and its not determined at the start of the game. So you could do as suggested above, if you have enough patience and no life that is ;)
Actually, there are 4 Pokemon that I believe can not. Latias and Latios cannot in Ruby and Sapphire unless you get them from the E-Reader Event, which I doubt many know about these days. Something about the fact the rome everywhere makes them only their basic color. As far as I can tell, Mesprit and Cresseria have the same problem. Latias and Latios are facts, Mesprit and Cresseria are estimated upon that factor.

Actually, there are 4 Pokemon that I believe can not. Latias and Latios cannot in Ruby and Sapphire unless you get them from the E-Reader Event, which I doubt many know about these days. Something about the fact the rome everywhere makes them only their basic color. As far as I can tell, Mesprit and Cresseria have the same problem. Latias and Latios are facts, Mesprit and Cresseria are estimated upon that factor.

Considering that roaming Pokemon carry damage and status conditions over to each encounter you have with them, I'm pretty sure their Shininess is determined when you first meet them and stays that way for each encounter. I think that's more likely. Either that, or the Shininess odds weren't programmed into them, but if they have a Shiny form I figure they're just as likely to be Shiny as the other Pokemon.