• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Seven Greatest Wonders... of pokemon!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Request denied, thank you and have a nice day.

Again - Just because they might have a protective exoskeletal construct doesn't mean it has to be particularily powerful. Abras are NOT oversized arthropods (or arthropods at all) - and their defensive capability is also hampered by their atrophying muscles and the fact that a lot of their psychic concentration has to go for life support as well. So yeah, large predators - or even small ones working in a coordinated effort or just uninfluenced by psychic attacks can and will inflict massive damage upon them, even with their plating.

The entire line is too reliant on its psychic abilities, and therefore it's physical side is FUBAR'd. So excuse THEM for having no defenses to speak of.

Feebas is the feminine reply to Magikarp. While gyarados was a powerhouse, Milotic was a beautiful, powerhouse. Having qualities that make it perfect for both contests and battles, Feebas had to be made a rare pokemon. Or it could be an excuse to play the game a little while longer....

Here's another one...although I'm not sure if it's a wonder or a Shame...
Remoraid into Octillery has to be one of the most irrelevant evolutions I have ever seen.
Remora/Archer Fish--->Octopus...whut? ???

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Octillery is not a true Octopus. Rather, it's an alien biosphere equivalent - and is more likely to be a specialized form of fish.

Also, Something about the phrase "Feebas is the feminine reply to Magikarp" just irks me. Feebas and Magikarp do share many resemblences (in being useless fish that evolve into powerful critters). The only difference is that Magikarp/Gyarados are based on a specific Chinese myth, and that Feebas evolves via 'beauty' (which is by the way in the eye of the beholder - I see nothing pretty about that Mermaid-Eel-Slug, kthx) into a god-moding bastard of a PokéMon.

Automatically assuming that grace and beauty are a feminine trait whilst raw power and strength is a masculine trait is wrong on its basis - fact is, that in most species, it is the MALES that are being attention whores with bright bold colors, extendable floppy crests dingdongs and loud noises, NOT females. Not everything is about human society, and DEFINITELY not everything is about human dimorphism.

Also, Feebas were made rare to make the lives of those who wish to train that accursed Milotic beast a living hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to that is ina previous psot somewhere in this thread...

Ever wonder if Ash has a credit card since he can pretty much pay for anything at the shop?
Rather, how does the currency system work in the Pokeworld?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Indeed, I've already made THAT rant. And as you didn't read the thread before asking an already answered stupid question....

YOU GONNA GIT WARNED.

uhh... I'm sorry? I can just delete it if you want

ANYWAYS back to Rocket x's post...

Well... you get money whenever you defeat a trainer (at least in the game). I'm sure some of the townsfolk have jobs. Not quite sure about Ash and the others though (you never see him telling a trainer to fork over his cash after he beats him). And then there's always an episode when one of the girl characters (Misy, May etc.)go on a shopping spree in a big city and are carrying mountans of stuff.... where the heck do they put it all?? And, on that note, how do you fit all your items (plus a BIKE) into a backpack??

uhh... I'm sorry? I can just delete it if you want

ANYWAYS back to Rocket x's post...

Well... you get money whenever you defeat a trainer (at least in the game). I'm sure some of the townsfolk have jobs. Not quite sure about Ash and the others though (you never see him telling a trainer to fork over his cash after he beats him). And then there's always an episode when one of the girl characters (Misy, May etc.)go on a shopping spree in a big city and are carrying mountans of stuff.... where the heck do they put it all?? And, on that note, how do you fit all your items (plus a BIKE) into a backpack??

a) it's a parallel universe. bags have endless bottoms.
b) the bikes are foldable. haven't you read any of their item descriptions?

Ok then anime-wise, there's the fact that Brock can somehow fit a small table, pots, and silverwear into his bag too. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Nah, brock has his own kitchen in his backback with the cheffs that help serve food to this little keychains. it's like his dream world,
aside from that, what is poliwags, poliwhirls and poliwraths swirl for?
if that was already in this thread just comment and I will edit it.

Brock has magical powers. Either that or a pocket teleporter.
[quote author:princeRioulo link=topic=1517.msg20676#msg20676 date=1181013426]
Nah, brock has his own kitchen in his backback with the cheffs that help serve food to this little keychains. it's like his dream world,
aside from that, what is poliwags, poliwhirls and poliwraths swirl for?
if that was already in this thread just comment and I will edit it.
[/quote]

It's pretty simple really, Brock' bag, as all other Pokemon Explorers' backpacks work like Pokeballs, turning solid objects into light and storing them deep within the enigmatic recesses of the bag. If Pokeballs can store 40 foot Wailords, I don't see why a backpack can store an entire house into itself...

And Poliwhirl's swirl is ised for hypnosis, although I think I've read somewehere that Satoshi designed it after the weird shape tadpole organs are arranged under their transluscent skin...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Keleri, a fanfic writer I'm rather fond of the works of, has explained it by having large items stored inside smaller Pokéball-technology based 'Item Balls'.

And yeah, the tadpole thing is right.

Who's the guy who decided that 10 year olds are old enough to be pokemon trainers? I mean Ash almost gets killed half of the time. And in a world full of single mothers I'm surprised not one of them has filed a lawsuit.

Who's the guy who decided that 10 year olds are old enough to be pokemon trainers? I mean Ash almost gets killed half of the time. And in a world full of single mothers I'm surprised not one of them has filed a lawsuit.

though i do believe you're right, it's more like a world full of divorcing mothers, as opposed to single. and for Ash's almost-getting-killed-half-of-the-time, it's what 10 year olds do. it's like they attract cars.

All the Lawyers are busy being Pokemon Trainers ;D

...What exactly is koffing and weezing...some sort of meteorite?

The craters all over their body give you the impression they're floating rocks....

So how old is Ash exactly? One episode has Brock saying that "they've been falling into Team Rocket's traps for years" is this an expression? Or maybe Ash is possibly 13 or 16, he doesn't really bother to celebrate his birthday...

The craters all over their body give you the impression they're floating rocks....

So how old is Ash exactly? One episode has Brock saying that "they've been falling into Team Rocket's traps for years" is this an expression? Or maybe Ash is possibly 13 or 16, he doesn't really bother to celebrate his birthday...

I've been watching this show for almost half of my eighteen years. Ash has got to be 15-17 years old. But like most cartoons, the characters don't age.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The Anime is stuck in some kind of perpetual time warp in which the characters never age, it seems. And never develop personalities, either.

Well, that's called a floating timeline. Where charcters don't age and don't develop much.

Here are my wonders:

1) How did Shaymins merge with grass?
2) How did Turtwigs get twigs on their backs?
3) What exactly is the process of Apricorn Pokeballs and Normal Pokeballs?
4) Is the Pokemon World a world nation?
5) Are Pokemon converted to cells once they return into their balls?
6) Is Ash really stubborn about Pokemon Evolution?
7) Are Pokemon growing as humans grow?

I also have an answer for Brock's table thing. It's an ad that says this:

The All New Tea Set and Table from Tea Freak is here! There is a folable table top, 4 legs, table runner, tea pot and cups, and it comes with Leppa Tea, Pecha Tea, Enigma Tea, and even Berry Blast Tea! Here's a message from one of our customers, Brock! Here it is:

"With Tea Freak, My tea sets have easy storage in my bag: It even has its own remote control when it comes out of my bag-- really practical!"

So buy it now for only 29.99 Pokemon-ey!

There. Happy?

1)Maybe cyanobacteria grows on its back. That's how a sloth's fur gets green.
2)A seed is planted on it at birth.
6)It's the Pokemon that tend to be stubborn about evolving.

It may be an age thing. You start out as a small child (Slakoth), sleeping a lot. Then you turn into a teenager/adult...Vigoroth. Then finally, an elder who'll slaughter you if you wake him up from his nap. (Slaking)

A thought.

Question:
Why doesn't GameFreak just make Charizard a dragon. It's been so long. Let me have SOMETHING.

It may be an age thing. You start out as a small child (Slakoth), sleeping a lot. Then you turn into a teenager/adult...Vigoroth. Then finally, an elder who'll slaughter you if you wake him up from his nap. (Slaking)

A thought.

Question:
Why doesn't GameFreak just make Charizard a dragon. It's been so long. Let me have SOMETHING.

It's too late I guess. Game Freak isn't big on changing a Pokemon's type, especially since three generations have passed since then. The Physical/Special split was the biggest thing to happen in years. Magnemite and Magneton were special cases.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
1 and 2) Grass-type PokéMon seem to have a symbiotic relationship with plants. That's just part of their, ya know, essence.

3) There actually isn't a satisfactory explanation for that question. Something in Apricorns triggers a change in their molecular biology, I guess.

4) There isn't an explanation for that either as PokéMon was never about politics. I'm personally assuming that every region is somewhat of a self-sustaining 'country'. The PokéMon centers are probably a worldwide organization independent of any of the regions, sort of like the Red Cross. It is possible that some of the cities used to be 'city-states' in older times. But really, DOES IT MATTER?

5) I'm assuming they're converted into energy which is stored in some form of digital matrix inside the balls. Of course, this all depends on what canon you follow.

6) Ash is retarded. No doubt about it. But then again, Ash has the point of a moral protagonist - to show when even the odds are against you, you can win with the power of love and level 5 cute fuzzy puppy kittens.

7) If you mean biologically, then probably so.

Also, the next time I see the Charizard/Gyarados Dragon question, someone is getting warned. This has been discussed a million times in the topic and will NOT be repeated. Read the damn thread, foo'.

Magnemite and Magneton were type-retcon'd because they had only one type before and when Steel was introduced, they could have welded it to Magnemite/Magneton with ease. For all we know, Steel and Dark types have been in planning before Gen2 and they just didn't have space in the ROM or whatever...

Why can't you store items on your PC in D/P? I have more stuff in my bag than I know what to do with. Not that it's useless but I don't necessarily want it in my bag.

That's actually pretty funny and that's a good point.

Maybe because it was really reaaallly annoying how you ran out of room in all the other Pokemon games so you had to go deposite stuff that you could have used later then be real mad/angry at yourself that you couldnt use it so they decided to get rid of that fruastration by making it limitless =o Just a thought.
Because it annoyed the piss out of me.

And Poliwhirl's swirl is ised for hypnosis, although I think I've read somewehere that Satoshi designed it after the weird shape tadpole organs are arranged under their transluscent skin...

Interesting, but poliwags swirl is backwards from the others what does it do does it do the same or the opposite thing?

Interesting, but poliwags swirl is backwards from the others what does it do does it do the same or the opposite thing?

Poliwag's backwards swirl is probably an excuse for a pokedex entry.

Is it just me, or are Deoxys and Jirachi's types mixed up? Deoxys is the super-intelligent virus form space which possesses a satellite and it's not a steel type? ON the other hand, Jirachi doesn't have much to do with being metallic, other than coming from a crystallized egg.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Who are we, mere mortals, to question the type decisions of the almighty Game Freak/Nintendo.

Personally I think they made Jirachi Steel/Psychic to make it have a different type combination than other Mewannabe Unobtainables.

Regarding Deoxys: In spite of its classification (which was another half-assed attempt by Game Freak to sound awesome - or like a bad 50s B-movie, take your pick), Deoxys is anything but a virus. A virus, you see, is a glycoprotein-based capsule protecting DNA or RNA. It is completely nonsentient and has little biological activity. It reproduces by infiltrating living biological cells, slicing its own genetic coding into the cell's DNA and thus forcing it to create exact copies of the viral DNA and its glycoprotein capsule, until the density of the viruses within the cell is too much, causing the cell to burst and release the newly cloned viruses, which infiltrate moar cells, rinse and repeat until all specific host cells have been used up (which in most cases will effectively kill it) or an immune reaction has turned on and eliminated the virus.

The very classification of viruses as living organisms is VERY controversial. Alive or not, they're simple creatures. Deoxys is anything but simple.

Deoxys, in essence, is a silicon-based life form - its inert form is a crystalline 'core' with some form of organic components and DNA patterns embedded into its crystal lattice - which it can 'scan' and call upon to generates biomass (The orange, green and whatever pieces of Deoxys, which can regenerate if destroyed provided the central crystal sphere is still intact). I'm assuming Deoxys use meteors (or form artificial meteors) around themselves when entering a planet's atmosphere and setting their mind into hybernation to avoid getting their crystal matrices damaged. Once in hibernation a Deoxys may require a large burst of light energy to 'reactivate' in a way and synthesize biomass that would allow it to become mobile and manipulate its environment.

Why do Deoxys visit planets? Who knows. Maybe they are in search of knowledge, or DNA patterns to enrich their own genetic stock (which they scan with their minds). Maybe they do it just for kicks. That is another mystery for another time.

Point of the matter is Deoxys are sentient, aware, quite definitely alive, capable of self-reproduction (rather than host-induced replication) and are generally too complex to be a virus from space, or any form of virus at all.

So sorry. :-\ I didn't get much sleep. Forget it....

Uh, anyone else wonder about Lucario being a steel type? ???
And about the time lapse thing... Dialga hates them ;D

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=Rocket X]...ON the other hand, Jirachi doesn't have much to do with being metallic, other than coming from a crystallized egg.[/quote]

So, sir Arceus Lord, I believe that this proves that you haven't thoroughly read the question. That's Warning for you.