• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Seven Greatest Wonders... of pokemon!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
1. The anime laws of logic are wtf. But anyway, the title of PokéMon Master is indeed impossible to obtain, but people try anyway. In any case,

2. Why does Skuntank learn Flamethrower? Why is Leafeon capable of learning X-Scissor? You don't have to belong to a certain type category to learn attacks of its type! Besides, Flygon levitates.

3. For the simple reason that Lickilicky didn't EXIST yet. Same as the baby Pikachus in Viridian forest in the Pikachu's Goodbye episode. ZOMG RETCON.

4. See my answer for question #2. In fact, I'm quite certain that Aerial Ace was CREATED to provide a nice flying-type attack for a lot of non-flyers and thus increase the diversity of that type.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, but DIAMOND AND PEARL did not exist, chronologically speaking - or at least weren't released - at the time of the event in Battle Frontier. Lickilicky didn't exist - or at least wasn't released - back then either, and therefore the anime didn't need to promote it. :p

Why does Flygon learn Fly, as it is not a flying type?

Why doesn't Lickitung (I think it is) evolve in Battle Frontier, as it meets the requirements set by generation 4?

Why do we hear all these comments about Lickitung's evolution method into Lickilicky was bungled up, yet it seems alot of people overlook how messed up Piloswine->Mamoswine is? Ancient power is one of Swinub's Egg moves. What would happen if you evolved a Swinub with Ancient Power in D/P?

What happened to one of the Magnetons on Megnezone? It mutated, how?

It is revealed via an NPC in Sapphire that the hero and his family are from Johto, but they are not mentioned in Gold/Silver, which is at about the same time, why isn't he/she?

How does May(game) gain a little brother in Emerald?

In Pokemon Box, why do you need 100 Pokemon to access Pokemon that are not yours?

Before you get the national dex in Firered, if your trading, you can see Hoenn and Johto Pokemon in the other's party, but of course they are not in yuor dex but, why did they let you do that?

Why do Pokemon no longer like you if you trade them, and trade them back?

Why did Firered's elite four team get 2 levels weaker than Red's elite four team?

Why are the main characters unable to run without running shoes? Are they aliens?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
1. A wizard did it. Seriously, They were influenced by the magnetic waves of the Coronet Mountain Range, which somehow triggered a fusion reaction? >> Composite PokéMon confuse me.

2. BECAUSE, Gold and Silver do NOT take place at the same time as Fire Red/Leaf Green/Ruby/Sapphire. Gold and Silver took place, continuity speaking, three years after Red and Blue, which means, after Fire Red and Leaf Green. Gold and Silver MAY be contemporaries of Diamond and Pearl and therefore STILL take place in the future in comparison to Fire Red and Leaf Green. Besides, Johto is a region full of people and who the fuck cares about someone random who moves to a different region that, may I point out, DID NOT EVEN EXIST as far as the games are involved back when Gold and Silver were released?

3. Max = Anime retcon only. Anime != Game. The anime is loosely based on the games, but again, VERY loosesly.

4. Game mechanic to introduce some, I dunno, CHALLENGE?

5. Game mechanics again! Just because your PokéDex doesn't recognize them doesn't mean they don't exist. >>

6. Dude, how would YOU feel if someone abandoned you and then changed their mind and took you back? I for one would be pissed off. :p

7. To make the game a bit easier for newbies? FireRed and LeafGreen were very newbie oriented as can be evident from the newly added online help system and Teach TV and whatever...

8. Why can people around this board walk around without a brain? Some things no one can answer...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Since the game doesn't follow Blue/Green/Whatever's path but rather, Red's path, we have no way of finding that out. As for Kadabra, he may have traded it and got it back. Raticate, however, might be a bug.

After you become the champion, in Firered, your rival does not beat you, but after you get the national dex, your rival is champion, why?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe the playable character gives up his title to his rival after defeating him so he can continue his travels rather than get stuck in a hall and having to defend it all the time?

Maybe the 're-adventure' of the main character after he goes home takes place a -while- after he defeats the league and his rival became champion again?

Or maybe, the Elite Four system in the games isn't really a league, as such. There aren't rival trainers from all over the world and the rank of 'Champion' is apparantly nothing more than a title for the 'Leader' of the elite four?

Or maybe it's a simple pre-scripted encounter in the game and the programmers couldn't be arsed to change it to adhere to laws of logic. Either of these can be correct. xD

How about...
A Pokemon CoOrdinator is someone who uses Pokemon elegantly, but a Pokemon Trainer is someone who uses Pokemon, so why does the anime count a Trainer and CoOrdinator as two different things?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
A coordinator IS a type of trainer, but it's sort of a title given to the sort of trainers that only use their PokéMon for PokéMon Contests, rather than takes on a gym challenge or what the hell ever.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's just like a Pokemon Breeder and Watcher in the Anime. They're all trainers, they just specialize in different areas of training.

I've read somewhere (I think the site was "The Cave Dragonflies" or something) that Poison Point can work on a Steel-type and Static can work on a Ground-type.  I find that messed up...

I've read somewhere (I think the site was "The Cave DraGONFLIES OR SOMETHING) that Poison Point can work on a Steel-type and Static can work on a Ground-type. I find that messed up...

No, Steel-types (and Poison-types.) can't be poisoned. I read it in a Pokemon book.

Is Groudon really just a dinosaur with issues?

How does Team Cipher close the Pokemon's hearts?

How did Ash's Pikachu learn Volt Tackle, when it is Pichu's egg move?

How did Ash's Pikachu learn Volt Tackle, making 5 moves?

How do Pokemon hold held items? Especially while fighting, or without hands?

If Pokemon never die, why is there is Pokemon Tower, and memorial pillar?

would Sneasel, as it is a feline, or Espeon as it too is a feline be considered Johto's "Meowth"?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
How did Ash's Pikachu learn Volt Tackle, when it is Pichu's egg move?

How did Ash's Pikachu learn Volt Tackle, making 5 moves?

Those two are easily answered, just as most of your previous questions have been. The Anime =/= the games. Wouldn't you have realized that by now? Pikachu has known more than five moves (T-Shock, T-Bolt, Thunder, Agility, Quick Attack, Iron Tail, etc.) for ages now, too :p

And who ever said Pokemon don't die? o.O

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That was so helpful, Linkachu.

I mean in the games.

But Ash's Pikachu exists in the Anime, not the games.

As for Pokemon not dying, we just don't see it happening because time doesn't actually pass in the games. Everyone is trapped in a time warp...

Creepy world o.O

Are Illumise and Volbeat one species? Seriously, I bred a Volbeat and an Illumise together twice and got a Illumise once and a Volbeat the other time.

No, Steel-types (and Poison-types.) can't be poisoned. I read it in a Pokemon book.

Well here's #34 on "The Cave of Dragonflies" Fun Facts section:
Ground Pokémon are immune to Electric attacks, but not to the Static ability. Steel Pokémon, likewise, are immune to Poison attacks, but can nonetheless be poisoned through the Poison Point ability or Beedrill's signature move Twineedle (which is a Bug attack, but can poison).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Katie: The world may never know. If you ask me, it's just another in-game thing that wouldn't happen in an actual PokéMon world...

And PokéMon DO die. They also can be killed. They just seldom die in battle, and their natural resistance is so high that even seriously injuring one is difficult - however, it is quite possible.

Also, yes, Volbeat and Illumise ARE one species. Volbeat is male only, Illumise is female only. And yes, they WERE designed that way.

In battle a pokémon is only allowed to faint by running out of hp. To actually kill a pokémon would mean they ran out of HP and were still being attacked.

Im going to test the twinnedle thing with steel types, as it seems quite strange, but if it works it could be quite interesting.

I think Azurill's a normal type because it can't swim yet (and it still learns water moves because normal types can learn all types of moves, like meowth learning thundershock)

Why can Feraligator and Gyarados, both being water types, learn flamethrower?

Why does Skuntank learn  Flamethrower? Why is Leafeon capable of learning X-Scissor? You don't have to belong to a certain type category to learn attacks of its type! Besides, Gyrados is a dragon (sort of) and Feraligatr doesn't even know Flamethrower.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Truer words have never been spoken. Oh wait. They WERE spoken, By ME, a few frelling posts ago. xD

Ah well... >>

Regarding Azurill, it's quite simple. Azurill is basically an abortion Marill. It hasn't developed type characteristics yet. That also explains why Azurill has a higher female gender rate to male gender rate, which explains why sometimes female Azurills evolve into male Marills in-game. o_O Which was either intentional or just a really wierd flipping glitch...

How does Team Cipher close the Pokemon's hearts?

How do Pokemon hold held items? Especially while fighting, or without hands?

Sneasel, as it is a feline, or Espeon as it too is a feline be considered Johto's "Meowth"?

If in Gold/Silver you can trade across time, in the anime, why can't they time travel?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
1) How does Team Cipher close the Pokemon's hearts?

THEY STAB THEM WITH KEYBLADES. Seriously, I'm assuming that the energy that the snag machines or what the hell ever they're called affects the PokéMon's minds, blocking off neural impulses having to do with emotions. >>

2) How do Pokemon hold held items? Especially while fighting, or without hands?

Game mechanics rarely take anatomy into consideration. But forget that. I want to know how random wolf-thingy random encounters in Final Fantasy carry potion bottles and money. And for that matter, why?

3) Sneasel, as it is a feline, or Espeon as it too is a feline be considered Johto's "Meowth"?

Sneasel is not a feline. Sneasel is loosely based on the Nyula Mongoose, a type of Ichneumon. The fact it looks nothing like one doesn't help matters. I also have reason to believe that the species is very very loosely based on the youkai known as Kamaitachi, as well. Espeon is based on a Nekomata, a type of Japanese cat youkai. However, neither of them can be considered Johto's 'Meowth'. The second generation does NOT have a generic normal-type kitty. Thank god. There's too many of them as is.

4) If in Gold/Silver you can trade across time, in the anime, why can't they time travel?

Drive it into your skull. For the millionth time, Anime NOT EQUAL Games. The G/S/C games take place, chronologically, three years into the future since R/B/Y (and therefore, FR/LG and quite possibly R/S/E), therefore, in order to explain how can you trade PokéMon from RBY to GSC, they had to throw in some contrived time travel thingamagog.

Ash's visit to Johto, in the anime, does NOT take place three years into the future, but rather... A year, or so? making him a contemporary of the current Johto timeline, meaning that you don't have to travel in time to trade. -_-

5) How come Regigigas can learn Sleep Talk, but can't learn Rest?

Regarding Regigigas... All I can say is that a Wizard did it. That, and the fact that you know, someone might actually want to put Regigigas to sleep in order to knock that broken death-marshmallow out of the game for a few turns so they can pummel upon it merciliessly without fear of retaliation. That's where sleep talk comes in handy. :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Sneasel is loosely based on a mongoose, however, as mongooses and weasels are rather similar superficially... Yah.

Zangoose is a Feline-Mustelline cross - a 'Cat Ferret', quite literally.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
1) How does Team Cipher close the Pokemon's hearts?

THEY STAB THEM WITH KEYBLADES.

You win.

Anyway, I would wager that simply treating a pokemon horribly would make it close its heart to humans. Everything about pokemon is promoting friendship with the critters, and that treating them horribly is bad. If you take a criminal organisation, they could probably do much worse to pokemon (torture, psychological warfare and so on) to make it close its heart to humans.