• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Seven Artifacts of the New World

Rex

Resident Furry
8Lwk4g2.png
Ancient legends speak of seven wondrous treasures located far across the ocean. These treasures grant their owner power beyond their wildest dreams. For the longest time, they were believed to be nothing more than fairy tales. A land across the ocean, filled with legendary artifacts? Preposterous!

Or at least, that's how it was. A few years ago, however an expedition set sail across the ocean. Upon their return, they brought back fantastic tales of dense jungles, treacherous rivers, ancient ruins, and hostile natives. A New World had been found, waiting for them across the sea. Expeditions to find the legendary artifacts began almost immediately.

You are part of one of these expeditions. Adventure, power, fame, what ever it was that got you to sign up for this mission, you're on it now. You signed up under the command of a Floatzel named Marco. He was an experienced sailor. Perhaps his charm won you over. Maybe it was his energy. Whatever it was, he's gone now.

Disappeared, in fact, a day after the last sliver of land disappeared off the horizon behind you. The ship was searched top to bottom, but not a trace was found of the Floatzel captain. What's more, a prevailing west wind prevented the ship from being turned about to go back towards port and search while still making good time. With no money to resupply, a favorable wind, and a limited number of provisions, the choice was made to sail on without him.

This left command of the vessel under the first mate - Marco's younger brother - a Shiny Buizel named Richard. Richard is not the captain his brother was. And with dissatisfaction comes whispers of mutiny. For now, Richard remains captain, following his brother's plan for the voyage to the letter. After weeks of sailing, morale is low. Richard has promised land to be sighted within the next day. The future of this expedition, no, the future of the world, is in your hands.

Arceus' Cutlass - Blade decorated with symbols of the Unown, this fabled sword is chief among the seven artifacts, much like Arceus' place within the Pokemon pantheon. This sword grants complete control over the Unown, and with it, the ability to rewrite reality. Such a powerful artifact cannot come easily. Only the presence of all six other artifacts can awaken it.
Dialga's Watch - The face of this strange pocket watch is blank, though Unown symbols are etched into the lid. Much like Dialga, this watch has control over the flow of time. Most specifically, by opening the lid, time is stopped, but only so long as the second hand ticks. A full revolution, and the watch snaps shut by itself, resuming the flow of time.
Palkia's Bag - On the outside, this bag appears to be nothing special. It's simple canvas, stamped with images of the Unown. This bag shows its true power only when you reach inside. This bottomless bag can conjure an endless amount of whatever you wish for, excluding itself and the other artifacts. Food, water, supplies, anything small enough to be pulled out of the bag.
Rayquaza's Sextant - Unown decorate the eyeglass of this sextant, the use of allows even the least experienced of navigators to always know exactly where they are. While this artifact can easily find both latitude and longitude based on what celestial object it is pointed at, it has trouble automatically supplying distances for anything within the atmosphere, though an experienced navigator can use it as a normal sextant with no problem.
Kyogre's Scepter - Decorated with stylized waves and Unown, this artifact grants the holder control over the sea itself. Cut through stormy seas, or sink hostile ships. Though this artifact cannot create water, rendering it largely useless off the ocean, in this age of sail, power over the very ocean is a force to be reckoned with.
Jirachi's Compass - A compass with a blank face, and symbols of the Unown decorating the sides. This compass is useless as a navigational tool. Its true purpose, however, is to point towards the deepest desire of the user. While theoretically it could be made to point towards the other artifacts, it cannot be fooled, and will always point to what the heart desires most.
Ho-Oh's Medicine - An endless vial of ashes with a printed label consisting of Unown characters. Ashes from Ho-Oh's revival can be mixed into medicines to cure any disease in the world, rumor has it that it can even bring back the dead. While the uses of the ashes are nearly infinite, it is limited by the medical know-how of its user.

So yeah, this is a concept I've been planning on and off for a while, based on an RP that started by never got anywhere a very long time ago on a different forum. This would be a PMD-based RP set during an Age of Sail. This means your Pokemon character can use various weapons up to and including flintlock firearms should you so desire. Or, they can rely solely on their powers as Pokemon, it's completely up to you. I do, however, have a few ground rules.

1. There will be no Legendaries in this RP. Ever. Even though these artifacts contain their power, we will not be meeting the Legendaries themselves.
2. You may not play as a New World native, or a member of any other Old World crew. We're all together on this voyage. While mutiny and marooning are possible, they will need to be discussed in advance as to not disrupt the flow of the story or hamper any RPers enjoyment of the overall RP.
3. As this is a PMD setting, you cannot play as a human. Theoretically, any non-Legendary Pokemon is available to be played. However, please keep in mind that the characters will be expected to travel and work on a sailing ship. Weight and Height should be taken into consideration, as well as if the character has the ability to grasp and hold something with teeth, claws, tail, etc.
4. The events of this RP do not leave the confines of the RP itself. Likewise, you may not take the artifacts found here and use them in a different RP. At journey's end, something will be done to separate the artifacts from our characters.
5. Likewise, unless I specifically make a sequel to this RP, the characters you use for this RP are considered separate from the characters you use in any other RP. This does not mean you need to make completely new characters for this RP. However, it does mean that the character used in this RP and the character used in another RP are completely distinct from one another, even if on paper they are the exact same character. The experiences they have here are unique to this RP, and experiences they have had in other RPs are not things they have experienced here.
6. Please follow all rules of the site in general and the RP board specifically. This includes the minimum content length of a paragraph, no one line posts. If a post is too short, I will send you a message asking you to change it. Likewise, keep OOC comments to this thread only.
7. These rules, and the status of this RP, are subject to change at the discretion of myself and the staff members. This RP toes the line of what is acceptable, and if you cause trouble it will be clamped down on.

Now that that's out of the way, feel free to show your interest and discuss and create characters for the RP. If you're feeling adventurous, maybe you can even put up a character sheet for them! Interest is first come first serve, however. Let's say, five or six people, including myself?

Firstly can we use fan mades
Secondly have the artifacts been allow by admins etc
Thirdly can we have our own ships to captain and crew
And finally have you considered that almost eveone only ever uses about fives characters ever asking us to redesign them is pretty harsh and saying we can't use our experiences here elsewhere is illogical and unenforcable

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hi. I'm the admin who authorized this particular thread. You bring up a few points in your reply - and I'll do my best to actually answer them.

Point 1: Clarified with Rex - Yes, fanmades are allowed provided they are balanced and not overpowered.

Point 2: You may notice this thread has been open since August 24th. If the story wasn't cleared with staff, it wouldn't have been here still as I would have personally removed it long ago. As it stands, Rex got everything re: the story checked out with me and I've given my blessing to this particular version of the story.

Point 3: It is generally advisable to thoroughly read a person's RP prompt before replying to it, especially when the post itself answers your question.

2. You may not play as a New World native, or a member of any other Old World crew. We're all together on this voyage. While mutiny and marooning are possible, they will need to be discussed in advance as to not disrupt the flow of the story or hamper any RPers enjoyment of the overall RP.

So no, you may not be a member of another crew, a captain, or anything other than a member of this particular expedition.

Point 4: It would be wise of you to remember that it is not your place to determine what is and isn't "unenforcable". That is strictly up to the staff to decide - and I say it is very much enforcable. Namely, if I receive a report and/or catch anyone making references to the events of this thread outside of this thread, they WILL be dealt with summarily. This story being self-contained was a condition for the RP's approval, and if you take issues with that, don't join.

That is all.

Just on the point of enforcing the self containment
That could cause some problems with some people as they may have had an idea branching from this rp or the way some portray a certain character. So by saying that nothing in this rp can be used outside it your kinda killing the creative spirit of rping
You know learn from others and the past then improve how you roleplay tomorrow

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Just on the point of enforcing the self containment
That could cause some problems with some people as they may have had an idea branching from this rp or the way some portray a certain character. So by saying that nothing in this rp can be used outside it your kinda killing the creative spirit of rping
You know learn from others and the past then improve how you roleplay tomorrow
Assume it's an alternate universe. If the RP owner wishes the RP to be self-contained, that's their right. If you do not wish to follow the terms outlined in the first post, you are welcome to excuse yourself from participating in this role play.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
In addition to what Teapot has said - I've been occasionally glancing at your posts and threads, and for a person who claims that "You know learn from others and the past then improve how you roleplay tomorrow", you show very little signs of learning OR improving.

Let me tell you something about RPing - I've been doing it since before you were born, so I'd say I know a thing or two about the "creative spirit of RPing". I'd say that actually having restrictions enforces creativity, as you have to figure out ways to think outside the box and work within your limitations to create something compelling enough rather than pulling off some boring sue and basically pressing-X-to-win through threads.

But that's neither here not there and is irrelevant to the subject at hand. If people are not creative enough to come up with multiple characters, that is their prerogative. If people are inspired by this idea and wish to do something similar to it, that is also their prerogative provided they clear out whatever needs to be cleared out with staff, as Rex did when he addressed me with the concept for this RP. Whatever you think of this particular limitation, it stands and there's nothing you can do about it. So I'd advise you to cease arguing for the sake of arguing. If you wish to join this thread, make a bio and see what Rex has to say about it. If you don't, move on elsewhere.