• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Service Pokemon

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this subject already... but I would definitely like to see this topic be discussed.

I was just thinking about the possible existence of service Pokemon in the Pokemon Universe. Many humans need help due to physical disabilities/illnesses and mental disabilities/illnesses, and since I can't think of much reason of why humans in this universe wouldn't have said disabilities/illnesses, then would there be service Pokemon available? I'd definitely like to believe they exist, since it's shown that a lot of Pokemon can lead domestic lives alongside human companions without having to battle all the time. Pokemon seem to be fairly intelligent, and understand human communication, so shouldn't it be possible that they could be trained for other services?

I had some ideas about some Pokemon providing different services, because the idea really excites me!

• Blisseys and Togetics as companions for people with depression.
  • Lucarios helping injured people recover through physical rehab.
  • Lillipups, Poochyenas, Elektrikes, Houndours, and Growlithes for children to read to.
  • Slowkings as companions to deaf or mute people that know sign language to help them communicate with others.
  • Kirlias and Gardevoirs that offer emotional support.
  • Pokemon that are trained to guide blind people.
  • Musharnas, Gengars, and Drowzees for people with severe insomnia or chronic nightmares.
I'd love to hear more ideas! Please share them!

That's a pretty good idea! I think you could train dog Pokemons to be service dogs like in our world: to help people with disabilities (blind people for example), or for the police and the search teams, etc
Also, your idea with the nightmares is good, because if a Pokemon knows Dream Eater, it can literally eat the nightmares.
I can't think of any other ideas right now, but I'll think about it ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Great topic!

The games and Anime series have done a nice job at displaying various service jobs for Pokemon, such as Machoke/Machamp/Rhydon/etc. helping out with construction, or certain electric-types like Ampharos assisting in lighthouses. Larger water-types like Lapras can make for good water transport, and Dodrio/Ponyta/Rapidash/Rhyhorn/Gogoat/Skiddo are equally great for certain land transport. We've also seen Pokemon assist in search and rescue operations, such as water-types for oceans/lakes/rivers, fire-types for volcanoes, flying-types for air searches, and certain rock/steel/ground-types for caverns/mountainy areas. I really liked another concept the Anime once used re: electric-types manipulating lightning storms to keep people safe, or having them store electricity from lightning storms for use later in power plants and such. ^^

Another job I was considering is psychic-types helping to move debris from wreckages and such, or maybe move immobilized hospital patients from a bed to a stretcher. Those trained in telepathy could also assist people who were unable to express themselves verbally/through writing. I have the perfect image in my mind of someone playing chess, who's unable to move their hands or call out moves, having a psychic-type like Alakazam assisting to read their thoughts and make the moves for them. It'd still be a very difficult life but at least the Pokemon could help ease it a bit.

Well chansy and audino work in pokemon centers...id think frufru could be a seeing eye dog for the blind..and maybe even alakazam could play into this..alakazam has a sky rocketing IQ...there for he would be more aware of helping people with diseases and disabilities..maybe even curing them

Do you think a Pokemon who knows Future Sight would be handy as "seeing eye Pokemon". I'm not too sure about the fine details, but having a Pokemon that can look into the future to foresee (and stop) potential disasters sound like it would be pretty handy to someone who is blind or vision impaired.

Very true..thats a very good point..a lot of psychic type pokemon know future sight and would actually be great choices to have in a disability situation

Future sight and Absol would be amazing for assisting with evacuations for disasters. Just think of how many lives could be saved if we knew of a tsunami days in advance. Pokemon with Teleport could be used to help less mobile people move around, provided it has no super negative drawbacks. If the power of psychic types was strong enough you could theoretically stimulate or sooth certain nerves, such as the one's causing the pain when someone is missing a limb. Electric types could potentially cause certain neurons to fire, causing the body to release something like serotonin, which would remove the need for it to be used as an antidepressants, so you could avoid negative side effects of using other chemicals to do this. Pokemon that could feel others emotions could be placed in areas like schools in order to try and detect people who are feeling depressed/considering dangerous actions, and alert the necessary people. Again if psychic types were powerful enough you could have a whole new kind of closed surgery, where the Pokemon preforms it using their mind. Basically think having Alakazam as a brain surgeon. Grass and Water Pokemon could be used to help food grow in more arid areas, potentially assisting with world hunger. There's just so much crazy stuff we could do under the right conditions.

The nice thing about pokemon is that since they're pretty much all quite intelligent and can follow commands, almost any pokemon would be a good service animal. But yeah, there are some definite considerations for pokemon powers and physical attributes to help out with human society, like Grimer could be your service pokemon but it would get slime everywhere, maybe not the best choice.

I think that would actually make a better case for pokemon being integrated into human civilization since pokemon battling seems a lot like sports, only a tiny minority of people can actually do it professionally. But there's millions of people who need help with basic tasks, and pokemon's elemental powers would be so useful for things that consume a lot of energy in our own world like power generation, transportation, or materials processing. Raichu is carbon-neutral! :up:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I've had a fic concept in the past involving the Pokémon world's police force and just how deeply Pokémon are involved in it. Aside from the obligatory K9 (or RK9, I suppose) units, certain species of Pokémon could be absolutely invaluable in tracking down forensic evidence. Porygons could make decryption, analysis of data and processing of electronic evidence faster. Psychic-types and their handlers (matched during academy training and trained together) may be present in interrogations and confirm whether or not suspects are telling the truth via surface scans (deeper scans are not admissible as evidence as there is no guarantee that thoughts aren't 'planted' into a victim the same way they are extracted). Sky's the limit, really.

Also, I'm not sure if I should point this out as it concerns a fanmade, but one of the Elite Four in my fan region has a psychic-type seeing-eye Pokémon. And it's an Aye-aye. A seeing-eye aye-aye. Terrible pun is terrible.

Future sight and Absol would be amazing for assisting with evacuations for disasters. Just think of how many lives could be saved if we knew of a tsunami days in advance. Pokemon with Teleport could be used to help less mobile people move around, provided it has no super negative drawbacks. If the power of psychic types was strong enough you could theoretically stimulate or sooth certain nerves, such as the one's causing the pain when someone is missing a limb. Electric types could potentially cause certain neurons to fire, causing the body to release something like serotonin, which would remove the need for it to be used as an antidepressants, so you could avoid negative side effects of using other chemicals to do this. Pokemon that could feel others emotions could be placed in areas like schools in order to try and detect people who are feeling depressed/considering dangerous actions, and alert the necessary people. Again if psychic types were powerful enough you could have a whole new kind of closed surgery, where the Pokemon preforms it using their mind. Basically think having Alakazam as a brain surgeon. Grass and Water Pokemon could be used to help food grow in more arid areas, potentially assisting with world hunger. There's just so much crazy stuff we could do under the right conditions.
Wow i really didnt even think about that..thats an awesome way of puting it:)

Bluefeather

Formerly pokeLPS
A Arcanine would be a good service Pokemon since most big dogs in the real life are good with helping people. Especially blind people I think. But, really any Pokemon that is kind could be a good service Pokemon.

Pokemon like Ponyta. Because they can transport People around, and they can't touch its flames! And using Pelipper to deliver your mail for you. Oh! And you could also use the fully evolved bird Pokemon to fly!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I like to think of Sylveon as a kind of emotional service dog, especially for people who experience panic attacks and major depression. At least, that's the kind of Pokemon I can see helping me, personally. Pokemon with moves like Aromatherapy could potentially also help people who aren't very emotionally stable.

Also, as walking around at night can often be dangerous, Pokemon that light up like Umbreon, Lampent, or possibly even Ampharos guiding people home as bodyguards. Or even a little Chinchou snuggling up with a kid as they go to bed, simply because the kid was afraid of the dark.

Bipedal Pokemon with opposable thumbs could possibly help people with chronic pain or disabling injuries accomplish tasks at home, or wheel around those who need the occasional wheelchair. I can see Blaziken and Infernape nannies who can help cook during the really bad days, and Greninja and I guess Poliwrath washing the dishes.

Floatzel, Azumarill, Mantine, and Lapras helping rescue people out at sea also makes sense to me. Floatzel and Azumarill for being buoyant Pokemon, and Mantine and Lapras for being large enough to carry several people to safety. I'd put Wailord there, too, but they're so... large. I feel like they'd do more harm than good XD

I know my dad has problems regulating his body heat in that he doesn't sweat when he's asleep, which can lead to some problems especially in the summertime. Avalugg could help cool the room for him while also acting as a table to hold his belongings, though I don't think he'd appreciate his warm cup of tea freezing over.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head~ this is such a fun topic!

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I can see myself with a Vaporeon to help me overcome my fear of drowning. Despite knowing how to swim, a few very close calls have boosted my anxiety to ridiculous levels of panic whenever I go into the water. I sink like a stone nowadays because of it. I live in Scotland, so water is something I'd be best getting used to rather than avoiding. XD

Intriguing. I have touched upon this in my own thoughts before but unfortunately haven't had much of a place to try anything out, despite the numerous short stories that could come of these. One thing that I haven't seen much of a focus on is Pokemon for those who suffer mental disorders such as phobias or extreme anxiety which can be extremely troubling in day to day life to the point that the person afflicted can't do normal things for fear that it might occur, such as not being able to open a closed door for fear that there just might be a snake on the other side. A few of these highly irrational fears can be easily amended by Pokemon, simply because there will always be able to be someone by their side. A mother, as much as she might wish, can't hold her child's hand for life, but a child can lean on a Pokemon forever.

For specifics, I see Absols or creatures like Espeon and Girafirig, whose lore, I believe, states that they can sense natural disasters and, for the latter two, currents in the air to obtain a mild 'vision' of the future, similar to the idea of future sight that was previously explored. I imagine that these would work wonders for those of high anxiety as I have spoken to someone who had it themselves and they stated 'It often helped to have an animal around because if animals are calm, I know I can be calm as well,' a principle that could be heightened with animals whose lore states that they can sense these 'disasters' even better than the average creature. I could also see, as stated by others before me, a lot of physic types simply for the vision that they hold, perhaps Luxrays for that same principle, and perhaps even ghost types to those who especially fear the supernatural.

In the end, it really comes down to someone who can always be at your side, and who is just as human as you are to boot. Although, what I'm really curious about now, is what is the most practical. Even service animals today have to be trained for a long time, and not every person, not a lot of people, in fact, can obtain access to these special creatures. Would the wide array of helpful creatures change this, or would they be just as hard to tame and train as animals in our world/ And would the ones who would be the most helpful actually be in use, as many of them are high evolved forms or rarer than the average 'pet' Pokemon? After all, trainers have been told to spend years searching for an Absol, or training their Shinx until it has evolved to its final stage, and it definitely takes a whole lot of work to do anything with Pokemon, even just obtaining and training them to be a pet. If these service creatures were the reality of the Pokemon world, would there be centers to train them, as we train guide dogs today/ Who would obtain them/ And what would these centers look like, the timeframe, the cost?

I am highly intrigued.

oh wow guys you put some great input!!

i hope sometime we see more worldbuilding in the anime or the manga that shows pokemon more in the service field. its always been a curiosity of mine, and like @Keleri said, I dont see most people going into the battling or training field at all in the world of pokemon. so its fun to think of how else they could be a part of our lives!

So confused by your post thechosenone123, you didn't add any content in, just linked 3 posts that are already on this page, when did that become something that happens? How does it even count as a post, like, anyone reading this thread will see all 3 posts before getting to yours... =/*

I've always wanted to be able to team up with my Janovii to do my job, I'm an osteopath and frankly the biggest problems you get in my clinic either involve patients that can't relax, or needing an extra set of hands to help support/stabilise etc, so I'd love to both be able to use sweet scent to relax people, but also get a good use of her vine whips to help me with difficult adjustments, naturally I'd train her to be the perfect assistant. I get this mental image of a janovii in a lil white coat and that's just adorable.

I think you're looking way too shallow in terms of psychic pokémon, for example imagine the potential for treatment of PTSD, or even the idea that a psychic pokémon could literally do the correct link to make a blind person be able to see from the pokémon's perspective, that'd be way more practical than having seeing eye dogs or something similar.

Goes without saying, I'm pretty sure a lot of kids would have their parents get an umbreon for a nightlight, or a fire type, but y'no umbreon's got that lovely look to it =)

As we've seen countless times, lots of physical pokémon would be used for hard labour, and I could imagine a lot of gardeners having tropes of grass pokémon wandering around tending to their plants.

I'd need 3 pokémon, one that can grow plants, one that can then dry said plants, and a psychic type to roll said dry plants in paper, and that would mean I'd never need to buy cigarettes again =)

* the chosenone123's post has been deleted, either by themselves or a staff member without me ever getting a reply, disappointing but I'm keeping the start of my post in the hope that one day i may get an answer as to why such a weird post existed

Last edited:
I feel as though Infernapes would be trained for people in wheelchairs (dialling 9-1-1, wheeling people around, etc), Arcanines are service dogs for blind people, Noiverns and Noibats would be able to alert someone with hearing impairs, Absol could be trained to look for areas of disaster and identify the type of disaster (hurricanes or storms for area disasters, or be able to pin point when someone is going to have a health crisis, such as seizure, relapse, any type of fatal injury), dog pokemon could help people learn to walk again, and that is all I can think of for now :p

I feel that some pokemon like cat pokemon could act as emotional support pokemon for people who need them.And some pokemon could be trained to work together for different things.Like a flareon and a vaporeon could work in spas as humidifiers.