• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Serperior Starter Planning

Hello, I am planning a final moveset for my determined starter, Snivy. I won't worry about its movepool too much early game, though later game, it becomes more important. So far, I have this set:

Species: Serperior
Nickname: Raja
Ability: Overgrow
Item: So far, I think a Leftovers would be best
Moveset:

Coil Around
Leaf Blade
Giga Drain
Dragon Tail

I still need advice on a decent nature. I am rather inexperienced with grass types as well, which is not helpful.

For this set, I plan for it to be my normal starter sweeper. I want it to cover the majority of types and Pokemon, to make it easier for me to get through the game.

Unless you're planning on using Dragon Tail to force switches I wouldn't use it. I would also pick Leech Seed over Giga Drain as well, since Snake Coil focuses on raising Serperior's attack stat. Your next best choice on attack is really up to you- go for Return, Aerial Ace, or Rock Smash depending on what the rest of your team needs. The best thing Serperior can really do unless it has a type advantage towards the foe is set up Leech Seed and switch out. Regardless, for the in game storyline, he will do just fine with just about anything you give him.

Serperior @ Leftovers / Big Root / etc.
Overgrow
Nature N/A (But would suggest neutral or Jolly (+speed), Impish (+Def), or Adamant (+Atk), all of which are -Sp. Attack)
EVs N/A
-Leaf Blade
-Return / Rock Smash / Aerial Ace
-Leech Seed
-Snake Coil

Despite Serperior's Special Attack stat being identical with his Attack stat, both movepools are lackluster, but he has more moves that cater to his Attack stat (you will only find Normal- and Grass-type attacking moves under Special Attack on him unless you breed for Twister). However, if you prefer Giga Drain over Leech Seed, by all means use it. In my opinion, though, Leech Seed takes merit over Giga Drain for the fact that it will heal my allies as well.

EDIT:

Serebii also has feature Serpy as their Poke'mon of the week- so go ahead and check that out for more ideas, though they're aimed more at the meta game, they will still be helpful during gameplay.

http://serebii.net/potw-bw/497.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Andrew. I think I shall go with the Adamant, Giga Draining, Aerial Ace-ing Serperior. I choose these because they allow me to pick up some quick HP, allow me to hit non-adjacent Pokemon in triple battles (I chose Black), and boost my attack which is important for a sweeper. Serperior already has decent speed. :p