• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Second shot: single battle team

Alright, this is my second shot at a competitive single battle team. Pretty much, I'd like item recommendations, though all suggestions are welcome.

Empoleon:
Brine
Flash Cannon
Drill Peck or Grass Knot
Ice Beam

Tauros:
Return
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt
Giga Impact Iron Tail

Roserade:
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Toxic

Metagross:
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
Magnet Rise Earthquake
Explosion

Hippowdon:
Earthquake
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang

Donphan:
Earthquake
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang
Iron Tail

Mismagius:
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Hyper Beam Energy Ball

Strategy's simple enough, as they're all made for sweeping. Tauros's inability to touch several Ghost's makes me want to us Payback in place of Return or Giga Impact, but I'm really not sure. Again, item recomendations are wanted, though all suggestions are welcome.

Empoleon: Lum Berry
Brine
Flash Cannon
Grass Knot
Ice Beam

Took out Drill peck, Physical attacks dont work as well on it.

Tauros:
Return
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt
Iron Tail

Took Out Giga Impact, Iron Tail Might not be the best choice, but Giga Impact left you open for an attack.

Roserade: Big Root (if using Giga drain)
Energy Ball/Giga Drain
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb/Extrasensory
Toxic

Just threw some suggestions up.

Metagross: Leftovers
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt/Earthquake
Agility
Explosion/Earthquake

Magnet rise is too much of a novelty move, If something with earthquake is gonna attack, its gonna do it BEFORE Metagross can use it.

Hippowdon:
Earthquake
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang

I have no Imput on Hippowdon, But I say you should replace it with something else, as that sandstream is gonna hurt Half of your team..

Mismagius:
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball

Ehhh... I WOULD suggest calm mind, but it doesnt have the Physical Defenses/Health to deal with that...

I cant think much on the Items, Im afraid..

I definitely see what you mean about Hippowdon now that I've given this team it's first test run. I thought it would be more manageable than it is. So I found another pokemon with almost the exact same moveset. Magnet Rise was really a last moment choice, as I completely looked over Earthquake for one reason or another. As for getting rid of Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, probably for the best when I play online.

I'm still not sure about removing Drill Peck in favor of Grass Knot on Empoleon. It's there to handle his fighting type weakness, and all Grass Knot will really do for him is allow him to take down heavy water types (rock and ground can be handled with his other moves.)

I also just realized I may need a new Tauros with one that has Anger Point depending on how well the Scope Lens works (can't seem to find anything about it)

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions ;D

Nice team layout. Umm..

It's weird, most people who have an empoleon seem to have grass knot, and I really don't know why. If I were, I'd stick with drill peck; but you might wanna consider stealth rock to replace flash cannon. Depends on how you use your Empoleon though.

Both of Tauros' abilities are great, but critical hits are very situational. Scope lens increases critical hit chance. Anger point increases attack to max when you TAKE a critical hit. Because of that, I recommend you use a muscle band instead. Iron tail is nice, but it misses a lot; and steel moves aren't very useful against anything; with that in mind though, I can't find a good replacement for it.

Another Roserade user

Aha, so Anger Point IS kinda useless. I'll keep my current Tauros then and rub my friend's face in his wrongness.

And I may end up putting Thunder Wave on Mismagius. To be completely honest, I have no idea how this team will work against a good staller/annoyer. I want to say I could sweep it with at least one of my pokemon, but I guess I'll have to test it out.

Thanks for the advice though.