• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sableye Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
So, I'm on the hunt for a Prankster Sableye, but while I do I'm trying to figure out the set I want to run with it. Don't even mention Taunt. I don't live like that. The one move that I know I DO want and seems to be a staple move on Prankster Sableyes anyway is Recover.

As for the other moves? I'm thinking of W-o-W, Confuse Ray, Hone Claws, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak. I'm basically trying to improve on my Gen IV Sableye for those of you who remember it. Probably nobody reading this remembers except for KoL, who never had much trouble with my Sabelye or my team in general anyway.

EV spread and Nature obvs depend on the set I decide on, but I remember on my last Sableye I did 252 Attack and split the rest into Defense and Special Defense. I like how that worked out because my Sableye ended being able to take hits moderately well. I'm wondering if I should go full HP this time instead of Attack and leave the rest in defenses? I could then rely on Hone Claws for Attack boosting, and the accuracy boost would greatly benefit W-o-W.

Item is also up in the air but I'm for anything that increases Sableye's longevity, like Leftovers. Though with Recover I could run Life Orb, which would help whatever attacking move I choose to have. I DO want an attacking move, because that's how I live my life.

Calm Mind and Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball is also viable, but I prefer to stay physical.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Prankster Sableye is quite easy to dismiss as being gimmicky or niche due to the fact that it's Sableye, but Prankster is for me the single best Ability in the entire game, and Sableye makes extremely good use of it in ways no other Pokemon can.

I won't go into some long essay on what Sableye can do because I'll be here forever, but here's an example moveset to give you an idea:

Sableye @ Lagging Tail
Careful
Prankster
252 HP/252 Sp.Def/6 Atk

- Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Prankster bypasses the negative priority effect of Lagging Tail, which allows you to quickly Trick this crippling item onto an enemy and force them to be the slowest Pokemon in the game for the duration of the battle. Sableye is the only Pokemon to get Prankster Will-O-Wisp, which in itself will provide all the physical defense you'll need really, which is why the EVs are stacked in HP and Sp.Def only. Gen V's offensive power creep makes full HP EVs mandatory for Sableye this time around, plus with Prankster on Recover you'll become much more difficult to kill, so Sableye doesn't need offensive EVs to grant him more damage since he doesn't need to kill his enemies quickly anyway.

Other moves you can use include:

- Taunt
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Mean Look
- Confuse Ray
- Gravity
- Role Play (if you're an idiot)

Sableye works well in both Singles and Doubles format, although it's worth noting that for Doubles play mainly, Sableye also has access to Fake Out while being immune to the move itself.

since prankster gives priority to recover you can give him as low speed as possible (with hindering nature at lv50 its got 49 base speed) and include metal burst (egg move from bisharp lv 52, has to be rememberd) and also max def/sp def and the rest of his evs on hp, metalburst does exactly twice the damage that you recieved previusly on the same turn you dont need atk, sp atk
in battle you can on the first turn use metalburst and if you have enough hp another one on the second turn and on the next you use your priority recover, in order for this to work you need to prevent your opponent from using moves like taunt, how to do so i leave to you since you dont want us to tell you to use taunt yourself

move set that i would recomend for this is:
-recover
-metal burst
- i know you didnt want to use taunt but i still recomend it here
-will-o-wisp/attract

item:rocky helm for extra damage/leftovers for extra regen or safety goggles(cant remember if thats what its actually called) for defense against weather.

also if you happen to have a spare prankster sableye, may i have it? Fc:0044-3549-9321. pm me yours

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Holy fucking gravedig Batman, this thread died in January. We're in December now you know.

Locked and warned, read post dates on threads (and the forum rules while you're at it,) Karlthefirst.

Status
Not open for further replies.