• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

S&M Grimsley Appreciation Thread

Threw this thing together early in the morning. I can't be the only one that absolutely adores Grimsley's new design, right?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

5FAxpzW.jpg

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
If we absolutely had to have a character from BW making a cameo, I kinda wish we got someone that anyone at all gave a damn about. But I suppose I've got little reason to complain since they did bring Colress back.

As for Grimsley (why do I keep expecting him to have a Houndoom named Muttley)... he went from being a bit of a sassy gambler type to some kind of a pale, gaunt, monochromatic edgelord and I find it a bit sad to be honest. The white stripes in his hair are decent, though, and I guess at least he gives you a rock-breaking speed shark.

If we absolutely had to have a character from BW making a cameo, I kinda wish we got someone that anyone at all gave a damn about. But I suppose I've got little reason to complain since they did bring Colress back.

As for Grimsley (why do I keep expecting him to have a Houndoom named Muttley)... he went from being a bit of a sassy gambler type to some kind of a pale, gaunt, monochromatic edgelord and I find it a bit sad to be honest. The white stripes in his hair are decent, though, and I guess at least he gives you a rock-breaking speed shark.

We did get Colress, but all he really did was show up for a few seconds and give us an item. It was a shame he wasn't integrated into the actual story, though it can't really be helped. As for 'giving a damn', I found Grimsley to be the most interesting character from the Elite four and found him interesting from what little text he had in the game. His change in design suits his role as a Dark Type elite four I think. His design in BW didn't really resemble much to me so this is an improvement in my eyes.

Or, maybe I'm just a sucker for edge.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly I was fairly unimpressed with the Unova Elite Four as a whole - and the fact that they basically just sort of hung about in their castle and were useless while the gym leaders did all the actual work kind of made me wish we'd have gotten a cameo with a character with more actual story involvement (hence one that actually matters), but yeah. There you have it.

i wanna know why it had to be grimsley . like of everyone of all regions .... ?

like . the people who made this game never opposed this idea ? someone was just like, "hey, remember grimsley ? he should appear . with no significant plot relevance . he should just show up ." and this idea was literally never opposed ? it made it all the way ? to the final game ? i wanna know ? how ?

I think that it's nice that one of the Unova Elite Four came back! :)
For a game that got so much hate, I didn't see what was wrong with it. Pokemon White was my first game, and Grimsley was actually the first Elite Four member that I ever fought. So, yeah. Cut the guy some slack! He by far wasn't my favorite(Shuntal was! Fellow book nerd!), but in my eyes, Unova and the Gym Leaders and Elite Four will always have somewhere special. If you don't feel the same way, then we can agree to disagree and move on.
Whew, sorry 'bout that. Just needed to get that out of my system...C'mon, guys! At least it wasn't flippin' Iris, coming back for a THIRD round!

I think that it's nice that one of the Unova Elite Four came back! :)
For a game that got so much hate, I didn't see what was wrong with it. Pokemon White was my first game, and Grimsley was actually the first Elite Four member that I ever fought. So, yeah. Cut the guy some slack! He by far wasn't my favorite(Shuntal was! Fellow book nerd!), but in my eyes, Unova and the Gym Leaders and Elite Four will always have somewhere special. If you don't feel the same way, then we can agree to disagree and move on.
Whew, sorry 'bout that. Just needed to get that out of my system...C'mon, guys! At least it wasn't flippin' Iris, coming back for a THIRD round!

oh no lie , the league members (elite 4 and gym leaders alike ) of unova are by far my favorites . i think its out of love and surprise i question that they placed grimsley there of all of them . i always used to tease his fashion sense a bit and my gf and i joke around about him sometimes so i got a good laugh out of it . i guess hes more of an inside joke with myself.

but tbh im always down for unova love . unova is lit ♥

Personally out of all of Unova to return, I would have most liked to see possibly one of the other Seven Sages, or a Gym Leader, probably one which was replaced in Black and White 2, which could make for some actual explanation as to why they were there, to get stronger or something.
I really liked both the Gym Leaders and the Seven Sages, the latter of which i wished i could see more of. Personally the gym leaders are one of my favourites out of all the regions, the gimmick with Cress, Cilan and Chill was just so clever and when they didn't come back for the seven sages ultimate rematch at the end of Black and White, I always wondered why they were not there. This could actually have tied in really well to an appearance in Alola, because it was explained somewhere in black and white 2 that they left their Gym to train, so it would have made sense for them to travel to Alola.