• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Running the Wii on a 1080p HDTV

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I realize Pokecharms probably isn't the best place to ask this, but since some of you guys know this stuff better than me I figured I'd take my chances. Plus, I already googled for the answer and couldn't find a good one. XP

Right, so I currently have my Wii hooked up to our 1080p HDTV via component cables, and it looks horrible. Sure, the colors are vibrant and the FMVs run beautifully, but once you get into the game the 3D models are absolutely hideous. The jaggedness around the edges is killing me. I'm about ready to move the Wii back to my standard old non-HDTV because it quite honestly looked a helluva lot better, but I'm wondering first if there's anything I can do to fix the problem. The big ol' wide screen is just so pretty. D:

Is the Wii simply too underpowered to display properly on a 1080p HDTV, even when you have the appropriate hook-up? And yeah, I do have the console set to display in wide screen mode and 480p, so that's certainly not the issue. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it can only run as high as 480p... That might just be the simple issue. Someone else will know more than me, though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It can only run at 480p max, but I'm wondering if there's any possible way to make the TV display it without the jagged edges of doom. If the answer is simply "No, you can't get rid of that", then at least I'll know I've done everything I could try. XD

From what I've seen after some internet trawling, you need an EDTV to play Wii games on a large scale. Apparently External Scalers help, but don't get rid of the problem. There's also turning down the sharpness of the TV, but it would be very inconvenient. Unfortunately the Wii doesn't have enough anti-aliasing to cope with big screened HDTVs without the edges getting jagged.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
I realize Pokecharms probably isn't the best place to ask this, but since some of you guys know this stuff better than me I figured I'd take my chances. Plus, I already googled for the answer and couldn't find a good one. XP

Right, so I currently have my Wii hooked up to our 1080p HDTV via component cables, and it looks horrible. Sure, the colors are vibrant and the FMVs run beautifully, but once you get into the game the 3D models are absolutely hideous. The jaggedness around the edges is killing me. I'm about ready to move the Wii back to my standard old non-HDTV because it quite honestly looked a helluva lot better, but I'm wondering first if there's anything I can do to fix the problem. The big ol' wide screen is just so pretty. D:

Is the Wii simply too underpowered to display properly on a 1080p HDTV, even when you have the appropriate hook-up? And yeah, I do have the console set to display in wide screen mode and 480p, so that's certainly not the issue. Any help is appreciated.

The solution is to use a proper console.

But, seriously, there's really nothing more that can be done outside of buying component cables. The Wii just won't look good on 1080p.

Of course, Wii games are capable of solid output at 720p - and you can run them at 720p on an emulator (supposing you've got a computer good enough for it) - but the Wii itself is limited to 480p and any up-scaling will just make it look like crap.

So, yeah, if you've got a game that's not Nintendo exclusive, you may as well just trade it in for its better, bigger brother on the 360 or PS3.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Guess that's that then. Since I already have it hooked up with component cables I'll just need to accept that its graphical output is crap. :p

Thanks guys. :)