• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

RUMOUR: Netflix working on a live action Pokémon series

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
detective-pikachu-concept-art-1.jpg

An exclusive report by Variety has suggested that Netflix are currently developing a new live action Pokémon series. Helmed by Joe Henderson - Lucifer's co-showrunner and executive producer (who is currently working on the final episodes of that series for Netflix) - the project is currently in "early development".

Although this series would be live action and potentially even use the same visual style as 2019's Detective Pikachu movie, it seems unlikely that there'd be any direct connection between the two as there's no sign that the movie's studio, Legendary Pictures, are either involved or interested in continuing with the Pokémon license after Detective Pikachu's somewhat muted success.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising for Netflix to sign this project, however. The company recently announced a major push towards making and releasing its own games as part of the Netflix service and has quietly built up a strong array of exclusive gaming IP in its portfolio, including Resident Evil, Castlevania, Assassin's Creed and The Witcher. Netflix has also increasingly become the home of the Pokémon anime in the West, with the exclusive rights to the current Pokémon Journeys series in the US.

In 2015, Netflix was also heavily rumoured to be collaborating with Nintendo on an adaptation of The Legend of Zelda, and later revealed to also be working on a Claymation animated series based on Star Fox. However, Nintendo reportedly cancelled both series after word of the Zelda series leaked out.

There are some concerns that the same might happen again here, but fortunately in this case The Pokémon Company are the ones making those decisions and, I think we can say from some experience in the matter, they seem a bit more used to leaks by now...

I see a lot of people on twitter wrongly assuming this will be based on the anime, using Ash/Misty/Brock in some form, but I find that highly unlikely. Nintendo/OLM are very protective of their characters (I believe the Detective Pikachu director said they forbid them from using Ash in the movie even in a background cameo), so I think the show will just use all-new made up original human characters.