• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

RNGing for competitive battling

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I realize this is OLD NEWS, but I only recently learned it was even possible from KoL... and now I'm paranoid. XD

I think we need to start treating Pokemon obtained through this RNG method the same as haxed Pokemon. While players are merely exploiting a flaw in the game, it's still an exploit and obviously not how the game was meant to be played. We have rules about people battling with haxed Pokemon, and this quite honestly is no different. I personally do not want people using these RNG perfected Pokemon on Charms.

Thoughts? Comments? Curses?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I know the main excuse for this being used is the fact that it isn't a cheat - it's a glitch. However, not all glitches are permitted for use in competitive environments despite being glitches, for instance, the Infinite Dimensional Cape in Brawl and Select Sequence Break in Metroid II: Return of Samus. The first glitch allows Meta Knight to turn invisible and invincible forever, and was thus banned from use in any and all Brawl tournaments. The second glitch allowed people to put holes in the map simply by pressing Select in certain areas of the game, allowing them to skip entire levels in the process, and was thus banned from use in all official speed-runs of Metroid II. RNG thus has no grounds for the "it's a glitch therefore it's alright" excuse, because the examples given prove that this isn't the case with certain games.

Also, there's no way of knowing whether something has in fact been RNG'd or hacked, if it has been hacked properly in a way where there's no way to be certain that it was hacked. Take my Chatot for instance: I hacked them to make them all shiny, but if not for the Cherish Ball I used to catch them and the fact that I had 64 of them, there's no way of ever knowing for certain if I'd hacked the things, since they're all simply shiny Chatot that were caught at their usual location, and taught moves Chatot can legitimately learn.

At the end of the day, you get the same end result from RNG as you do from hacks, so...yeah, no. No RNG for you.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I don't really know how you plan to enforce this rule... For one thing, if we consider this exploit haxing, what do we make of chaining for shinies? It's not exactly much different - it's exploiting the maths of the game to get an ideal result.

For another, short of every Pokemon in someone's team having 31 IVs in everything and being shiny (and the being shiny thing, really, is the only giveaway of likely hax anyway - you can't really tell if IVs are haxed without sitting down, getting a hold of their Pokemon and working it out...), how can you even identify who's breaking this rule and who's not?

Personally, I think it's a really lame exploit that involves an even sadder amount of time and lifewasting than just plain Pokesav haxing up a team, and I really don't think it's fair to exploit it to be able to wind up with a team of perfect IV'd Pokemon because you're removing the chance element from that equation in a way that can only mean escalation of everyone having to do it or just plain screwing over the people playing the game properly. But, despite all that, I just don't see any possible way to actually enforce this rule other than hoping for the best...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's fairly easy really - anything with a 31 IV in everything is essentially guaranteed to have been RNG'd or hacked, especially if it's shiny. If you went for anything less than that with RNG (say, 31 in one or two stats only, possibly a Hidden Power thrown in with Shiny-ness added) then it sort-of begs the question "Why did you RNG that in the first place when you could have probably got it legit a lot quicker?"

You'd monitor it the same way you would hacks, and I've already got a sharp-enough eye to see it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
You'd monitor it the same way you would hacks, and I've already got a sharp-enough eye to see it.

My thoughts exactly.

Plus, in the end, most people here are honest. We've never made comments about the usage of RNG Pokemon and in certain communities they're openly accepted, so it's best we make an official statement on it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
But, like I said, there's no real way to know without getting a hold of that person's Pokemon and checking. I mean, short of forcing people to register their teams with stats included, I don't really see how this can be prevented. People will still do it and they'll get away with it too.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Linkachu said:
Plus, in the end, most people here are honest. We've never made comments about the usage of RNG Pokemon and in certain communities they're openly accepted, so it's best we make an official statement on it.

I have nothing else to say, really. XD

Again, it's no different than monitoring haxing unless the haxed Pokemon are outrageous. The handheld RPGs can't detect typical hacks, so it's either up to checking stats or just taking someone's word for it. All we can do is say our piece and hope everyone follows it.