• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Reshiram and Zekrom

I know it's old news, but while the site was down, the version mascots were released, Reshiram (For Black version) and Zekrom (For White version)

I'm not posting a picture because that might be classified as reporting news, which is a warnable offence, so instead, I'm gonna make this thread about which game you'll be choosing, given the Mascots' appearance. Before I saw them I was going for White, and now that I have seen them I'm glad that I did. Zekrom looks absolutely Kick-Ass! He might look a little bit like Palkia, but who cares? I also like Reshiram, but his let-down point was that he only had two pairs of limbs (with his arms fused with his wings), while Zekrom has six. Overall, I absolutely love the new mascots.

I was really excited when I first heard this news! Now you can't be accused of only liking Black or only liking White because Black's main legendary (Reshiram) is white and White's main legendary (Zekrom) is black! I'm still choosing Pokemon Black anyway, both of the legendaries look awesome!

I honestly think they're both awesome! They're both Dragon type, by the way, and Zekrom's speculated to be part Electric. If so, I hope Reshiram is part fire! ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Zekrom looks more badass but yeah they both look pretty cool. A dragon/electric type would be unique seeing how they never made one before

Agghhh, these being released just made my game-choice hardeerrrr :'<

I originally wanted Black, and when I saw just the picture I preferred Zekrom, so I was like "ohh yusss, badass black for PokeMon Blaaaaack ~" - BUT then I found out that 'Rom is White's mascot, and 'Ram is Black's. I'm stuck for choice kahjkej :x

I was thinking moar "'Rom - Drag/Dark" and "'Ram - Drag/Psyc" but eh, I don't really care, as long as if it's not something like Drag/Fly which is overrused ~ 8D

I really do like Zekrom! He doesn't look to be electric to me though, so if he is, I won't be too keen on him anymore. Reshiram on the other hand is a little different I think. He just looks awkward to me. These are my least favorite version mascots though.

Reshiram is way cool. The only thing is, he's in Black and Zekrom's in White, and I'm getting White... Oh well. My bro is getting Black (and he prefers Zekrom) so we'll just switch 'em. :D

I'm not a fan of either.
They seem much like rejected Yu-Gi-Oh monsters or Digimon. If I have to choose, though, I like Reshiram a lot better.

I'll be honest in that I'm not overly keen on either...yet, because my opinion will likely change. HOWEVER. I said I was getting Black from the beginning, and what do you know, I prefer Reshiram to Zekrom (or Palkiatron as KoL calls it). Maybe I need to see some more artwork, but Zekrom's all black coloration is oddly unappealing to me--if they switched the glossy areas and the matte finished areas I'd like it more. And I'll say that I'm impressed by the fact that the version mascots are the opposite color of their respective game. I'm also very, very happy they didn't make one angelic and one demonic (actually, Reshiram looks more fierce than Zekrom). That's a huge worry off my shoulders as far as the games go.

I really like these 'Mon. Making these Pokemon one colour was a gutsy move by Nintendo IMO and I think it's paid off. Personally, I prefer Reshiram, because it looks like an angelic kitsune of slightly-Ninetales-ish awesomeness.

Now, I was going to make a topic about this, but seeing as this topic was here, I might as well post about it now.
Reshiram and Zekrom are both confirmed as being dragon types. Now, it is almost certain that they are going to get secondary types, and there has recently been a lot of speculation about it, so here is my opinion:

Zekrom - When I first saw it, I thought "This has to be dark type." But as I looked at it more, I saw how this might not be the case. Indeed, a couple of days later, the host of Pokemon Sunday posted on her blog how she loves Electric types, which is why she wants to get one. This was quickly removed afterwards. Now, although it isn't confirmed, it makes perfect sense.
The names originate from the Japanese words "shiramu" and "kuromu," which mean "to grow light" and "to grow dark." Specifically, these words are used to refer to the sky becoming light and dark. This is further reinforced by Hiun City, as "hiun" in Hiun City's name can mean "clouds being blown by the wind." Also, the bridge connected to Hiun City is called Sky Arrow bridge.
So it could well be electric, as its tail looks like some sort of generator, it looks mechanical and, when it is dark, there are thunderstorms sometimes.
Reshiram - This one could well be part fire. Its tail looks exactly like a torch, and there is the sun, which is very hot.
I could, of course, be completely wrong, and they could be Dark-Dragon and Psychic/Light-Dragon, but it's an interesting thing to think about...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
On the "Zekrom may be part Electric-type" topic, I think it's fairly plausible. That jet engine on its tail could be a turbine used to generate electrical energy. I still classify the info as a rumor however, so looking forward to hearing the final word on it.

Now, about the Pokemon themselves... I like them both, but the more I look at 'em the more I favour Zekrom over Reshiram. Zekrom reminds of a one of the weapons from FF7... and I like that about it. XD Compared to Reshiram I find its design more solid too, and I really like the way its wings look. Unless some of the version exclusives in Black are too awesome to pass up, I'll probably be playing White version first. :)

I don't know why people compare these guys to Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh... they're more like Bakugan.

HA! Just kidding! ::)

We'll get used to them eventually...

I was disappointed when I saw they were dragon type, I was hoping for something new but with the huge amount of dragon legionaries there was bound to be a couple in gen five. Their tails remind me of a lightning bugs or firefly except it isn't glowing, Zekrom's more so. I'm probably going to go for Black version because I like Zekrom more.

ratsmilk said:
I was disappointed when I saw they were dragon type, I was hoping for something new but with the huge amount of dragon legionaries there was bound to be a couple in gen five. Their tails remind me of a lightning bugs or firefly except it isn't glowing, Zekrom's more so. I'm probably going to go for Black version because I like Zekrom more.

White version acrually has Zekrom. They put black in white and vise versa. I'm guessing that it has something to do with yin yang

Reina Carmen said:
I'll be honest in that I'm not overly keen on either...yet, because my opinion will likely change. HOWEVER. I said I was getting Black from the beginning, and what do you know, I prefer Reshiram to Zekrom (or Palkiatron as KoL calls it).

I'd have to agree with Carmi there, seeing as I wanted Black and I prefer Reshiram as well XD I'm kind of let down on the fact that it's a Dragon type, but I hope it has a secondary type that makes up for it, like Steel or Ice.

I think I would rather have White version because Zekrom looks the the angel of death. ;D
Maybe if he is electric type they will give him a special move that looks like a black lightning bolt.

Even if you guys say they look like Digimon, I don't think that's a bad thing!

Hear me out.

Digimon has been long-aimed at teenagers (in Japan), around the 14-year-old age group. If you look at Pokémon Black and White, you can kinda see a more mature look of it. Particularly the trainers, who look around 14/15. I mean, you could argue that Pokémon is trying to aim itself at an older audience, and the Pokémon themselves would have to change to meet the new age group, no?

I like 'em.

Even torchbutt.

Well, I do have to say that since they made the legendaries vice versa to the games, I think I may play mostly white for Zekrom. Since they did remove whatever statement it was that speculated the Zekrom being Dragon/Electric, I definately think that it may be that type. however, they could have just removed it to prevent confusion. Anyway, if Zekrom is part electric, if he is, then I guess Reshiram will be type. I don't really want one to over power the other, thats what the Dragon halves are for, I just want some good types.

I think, and this is different from what I've said elsewhere, but the pair will be PURE DRAGON. Yep, no secondary types. HOWEVER, if that is the case, then each will have a unique ability that either deals with light/dark, acts as the second type in a way, or a mix of the two.

...Now that I think of it, that theory seems to enforce the one I stated in The Evil Team thread, it just doesn't jump out at you as fast.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Alex - This is going to be legen- wait for it.... says:
huh
I hadn't realised that pokemon.com had announced black and white
we could actually finally have a main-series Pokemon game reveal at E3 at last
正気Chi - Soon the dark in me is all that will remain says:
That'd be nice
*is also a bit miffed that Reshiram's a bit pants*
... Actually it'd be awesome
That the white one?
yeah, for Black
(lol confusing)
That's the reason I'm happy about SOMEONE forcing me to get white version
The only reason so far, mind you
*will have both one way or another anyways*
I mean
Reshiram has a furry penis
>>
oh fuck
goddamn you
Bwahahaha
You'd notice sooner or later
I do kinda like it's head
but the wings thing is just bluh
and their bums are both weird
Reshiram's tail... circle... thing is kinda funky
But its armwing things are just wtf
Zekrom's are much betterer
And it looks like it's about to headbutt you to the moon
it seems that Zekrom will be Dark/Electric
which explains the blue streaks
Reshiram will probably be Psychic/Flying
so they completely cancel eachother out
Previous to that weird leak thing, I just assumed the blue things were highlights
Like Reshiram's purple shadows
And I guess Zekrom's tail thing looks kind of like a turbine
So it does make sense
wait, are they confirmed to be at least part Dragon?
huh
seems that they are
well that cancels out as well obvs

Welp, I can never look at Reshiram seriously again. <.<

Anyway, they're alright. They just seem bland to me. The one-color scheme may have something to do with that. They're not exactly giving me that Pokemon vibe, either. I think I just need time to get used to them. I didn't feel too good about Pokabu and Mijumaru either, but they've grown quite a bit on me.

As of right now, I'm probably going for Zekrom. He looks a lot more menacing than Reshiram (and doesn't have stupid-looking wings). As for him being Electric, that'd be pretty cool, actually. It seems totally unrelated, but at the same time, it just fits, somehow.

Guys! Guess what?! I think i know the types of the reshiram and zekrom! :o

It was confirmed in corocoro that zekrom has the ability teravoltage. And on that girl on that japanese pokemon show (I'm being really specific right?) said on her blog that zekrom was electric but it was removed quickly after it was posted as you may know maybe because nobody was supposed to know. So i believe since terra means ground or rock or something like that and electricity is measured in volts that may mean zekrom is ground and electric.

Now for reshiram. He has the ability turboblaze since blaze is typically fire and turbo has to do with fast , I believe he may be a very fast fire type.

of course I could be wrong but tell me what you think about my theory.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's already been confirmed that Reshiram is Fire/Dragon and Zekrom is Electric/Dragon.

I've personally taken a interest of Reshiram, it just looks so unique, so based off that mascot i'll probably claim Pokemon White, Zekrom doesn't really give off anything of interest to me and just looks like a dailga and palkia splice colored black. : D

Personally, as opposed to Reshiram being a Fluffier Lugia, I'd pick the big, black dragon with the awesome looking tail, even if it does resemble a Palkia palette swap.

On the other hand, Reshiram being a Fire/Dragon means that it only has one real weakness now that it has Fire STAB to take care of those annoying pure Ice types. Still, Zekrom's electric typing means that dual Water/Ice types and Water types that have Ice attacks on them (because let's face it, very few don't) aren't a threat to it either.

I believe that Reshiram and Zekrom were created to perfectly counter, type-wise, Dialga and Palkia. Dialga and Reshiram, being first, Steel/Dragon vs Fire/Dragon. Type-wise, Reshiram completely owns Dialga's ass. Palka and Zekrom, the latter, being Water/Dragon and Electric/Dragon, Zekrom now gets to Edgar Allen Poe-n Palkia.

Just a theory :3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wish I had the image link handy, but I'll try to grab it from somewhere later...

Either way, hot damn. That battle screen shot of Mijumaru vs Zekrom looks epic and just makes me love the thing more. The way it's colored/shaded in-game is really pretty snazzy, and this is still just a low quality, unmoving image of it. Can't wait to see Zekrom come alive in motion.

Screw the version exlusives. I'm playing White first for Zekrom. :D