• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Resetting The Chat Stats

Should the chat stats be wiped and start afresh in the new year?

• Yes, and restart on a rolling schedule, only tracking the last week or so.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes, and restart as we were before, using all of the logs.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No, leave them as they are!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, for all of you chatgoers, you'll know about the chat stats - the page hosted on my server that lists various achievements, like who spoke the most and who's the most sweary. And which mod holds the record for kicking people (hint: it's me. :3) If you haven't seen 'em before, they're here: http://thegrue.co.uk/logs/.

Recently, the stats have become rather clogged up - we've clocked close to 600,000 lines in the last few months I've been running them, and it's nearly impossible to shift the stats one way or another now.

So, the question I ask is this: Should the stats be reset on New Year's? If they are, we'll essentially start from zero - although the name database will stay intact, so you'll all still be tracked properly, everything else will go. A clean slate for a new year, and a chance for some of you to appear in the slots us diehards have been occupying for a long time.

When the stats return after New Years, when I will be cleaning them up anyway, it'll give me the chance to do some configuration. At the moment, we simply count all of the logs I have - starting way back at the start of August, the logs parse every single line up until now.

This could however be changed, so the stats only count activity from the last week - a rolling schedule, as it were. Bear in mind, though, that the schedule could last for as long or as short as we want it to, so it could be two weeks or even a month rather than just a week.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions on this - if you have any suggestions, or just need me to clean up that mess of text up there, feel free to post in this thread or PM me. :)

I would be more partial to keeping the stats for approximately 3-6 months before each wipe as in that time people can usually accumulate the good numbers thy might want to see. ^^

I agree with Pheo. If it would be too much to have the chat stats track the whole year, I'd like to see it track for months at a time rather than just a week--especially since I can't always access the chat stats for whatever reason.

But my preference would be to restart yearly.

I'm with Carmus and Popo on this one- I like the idea of wiping the stats clean, and I think it shouldbe done every few months or so. After all, from when we started in August it's been what, four months?
I personally think that's a pretty decent length of time to leave before resetting them again :>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My thoughts are similar to Pheo and Carmen's. I think resetting every few weeks is far too often, but every 6 months or so wouldn't be so bad. 6 months would be a nice half-way point, and a decently long amount of time for people to accumulate stats.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, verdict reached. The stats won't roll - they'll just be reset tonight at midnight GMT. For those of you in less awesome timezones, that's in roughly two hours time as of this post.

I still have all of the old logs, they're just archived now, so if we ever find use for them again... they're not gone. xD Thanks for your time, everyone!