• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Releasing New Pokémon

Am I the only one that hopes that all the new Pokémon aren't announced? I'm sure, nay, I know that they will be, but wouldn't you like to actually find a wild Pokémon and say "What the hell is that?" Rather than having seen it on the internet and thinking "Ah that's a [Pokémon]". Although it'd be nice to see your first new wild Pokémon either way, I'd like to have the feeling I had when playing Red and Blue a bit more.

I know it's up to the person whether they want to know all the Pokémon before the game comes out, but there's just so much temptation (well, there will be)! I really want to now know what they are and just find them in the game until I get as far as I can. I personally am gonna try and not look at any of the new Pokémon... maybe a few up to release but that's it. Even if they weren't all announced, the instant the game comes out it's going to be hack hack hack, which will ruin it for me.

What does anyone else think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Before R/S came out we only knew of about 40-50 tops of all the Pokemon that came out in the new 135 batch. The majority of the rest were discovered by the Cryptimon Hunters playing through the game and logging what was there.

That's how we first learnt that there were 135 new Pokemon (With the help of hackers) and not 100 or 150.

A lot of the info was found by us going through the Japanese versions of the games. The same will happen this time around.

However, if YOU wanted to play through the games when they're released in English without knowing all of what you'll encounter, it would be best to shy away from Pokemon Fan Sites from aaaabout Summer onwards.

When the games are released especially there'll be an onslaught of names at least coming through. Pictures will be a harder thing to get this time around, for a while we may have nothing better than crude digital camera photos of the DS screen but I doubt we'll go too long without official art dropping into our laps.

Nintendo may keep a beady eye on what their fan-sites get up to and where they get their info and pics but they know that if they didn't use fan-sites as free advertisements for their games and Pokemon they'd be screwed.

Don't be surprised if images of all the new Pokemon just happen to be officially released online outside of press offices around Xmas-January 2006 time....

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Nintendo may keep a beady eye on what their fan-sites get up to and where they get their info and pics but they know that if they didn't use fan-sites as free advertisements for their games and Pokemon they'd be screwed.

I disagree with you there. Even without us fansiters Pokemon is still gonna make a huge impact on the general public. Us being behind in information isn't going to effect things too badly... It'll just make everyone that much more eager to get the games ;)

Anyways, on to the topic. I know exactly what you mean about the wanting to keep everything new and exciting verses the temptation of looking at breaking news/information. When R/S info first started flooding in I wanted to read everything I could, but soon I started taking a totally different approach. I stopped reading reviews of the games, stopped reading spoiler articles, and even stopped looking at the new Pokemon lists. While I had spoiled the majority of 'em many were still a big surprise for me - especially concerning type combos, evolution levels, move lists, locations, etc.

Even now, working on this site, I dislike spoiling major points of the games/movies. While I might read the basics I don't like reading too indepth - a general feeling of what it's about is all I really need to describe it to someone else. Good thing people like Gary, Nem, and Stel don't worry about details like that, or we'd never have indepth information :p

Guess the best thing you can do, as the Doc said, is just don't read anything. Try really, really, REALLY hard to avoid fansites and just read the general, tone-downed info Nintendo releases. Who knows? It might be enough to satisfy you until the actual games come out.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Interesting question, because I came to Pokemon "late" and missed out on a lot of information through simply not having been interested at the time.

I've probably told this story before (tell me if I'm getting too boring :roll:), but I bought Sapphire last Christmas (yes, Dec 2003) because I'd become addicted to a wap game that I'd realised was basically a cut-down Pokemon ripoff and I wanted to play the original. Spent a lot of time on it, but wasn't really obsessed... until Pokemon Channel. Which I bought solely because it had Jirachi in it (yes, I know). All the extra information that the TV in Channel provided, the anime, and the dozens of Pokemon I hadn't encountered before basically all added up to make me completely addicted (and probably quite boring to people around me in real life :p).

Anyway. So FR/LG had quite a lot of completely new Pokemon for me, because I wasn't into the game before. And I guess I must've looked at sprites of the Pokemon and read the names of them a dozen times, not least of all because they were "in" Ru/Sa but not actually catchable. But all I really cared about was when FR/LG was coming out and whether it would be much like Ru/Sa. And it still surprised me. Bits of it are still surprising me.

I should probably mention that my usual method of reading a book is to read the first few pages, then the last few pages, then the whole of the last chapter (if it has chapters), then flick to a bit in the middle, then flick backwards and forwards... Basically, I NEED to know what the plot of the story is first of all. Once I know that, I can settle down and enjoy the writing, characterisation and dialogue. It's just how my brain works. You could give me all the spoilers in the world, even give me the actual script of a film to read, and yet I'd still enjoy the film - more so, because I'd know what to look out for. Games are the same.

It may sound a little funny coming from a webmaster, but I'm also going to keep myself in the dark as much as possible. I was part of the original Cryptimon Hunters, and totally spoiled everything about those Pokémon to myself. In making the Cryptidex (I miss that thing), there was nothing about those Pokémon that I didn't know...except for a few English word translations (names, abilities, moves, places, etc.).

I don't plan to shy away from any information I sumble across, but I'm certainly not going to hunt for info, either. If websites offer Pokédexes, I'm not interested. Only what information I accidentally read will I take in (best case scenario: everytime someone mentions a certain Pokémon, I think "What the heck are they talking about?").

Nintendo Power Player's Guides give a list of every Pokémon, and where you can find each Pokémon. I prefer a list of every location, and what Pokémon you can find in each location (so that I never leave an area without having all the new Pokémon I can catch there). Thus, I always use Nintendo Power's list as reference in making my own list. I plan for this to be my first majour encounter with English names (Pokémon and places). Of course, I won't be able to give faces to all the names I'm typing up, but it'll be cool to go through the game and say "So THAT's an Usohachi!"

Then, of course, I get to do the UDex with all these strange new Pokémon. That'll be fun. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
What I plan to do once the Cryptimon hunt really heats up (probably from Festa onwards) is avoid placing any pictures of the new Pokemon at all on the main page.

I WILL post names, however - but I don't think that people would be as worried about that spoiling it than the pictures of the Pokemon.

The only place you'll see all of the new Pokemon's pictures will be on the cryptimon page - where you'll find all their info too.

As the games come closer to release and we have more Pokemon around, there will be a small cryptidex of sorts. Basically to handle the greater amount of information that will have to be held.

So, if you want to keep up-to-date but not in a way that spoils it all, keep it here. ^^

Personally, it's the thrill of playing the games for the first time that does it for me. The magic of R/S was not hindered at all to me when I first played it - even after going through all the Cryptimon.

I'm really looking forward to Diamond and Pearl but what will interest me most is how the fan-sites cover it. Undoubtedly, only the biggest sites are going to have the games to cover it with since the smaller ones can't get it illegally any more. So, you're likely to only have Serebii, Pokemon Forever, Pokecharms and maybe TPM, Bulbagarden (Though they're mere shadows of their former selves) as holders of the information.

Fun ne?

It wont be a lot of fun for the smaller sites though, sadly. I can't imagine Serebii giving out images etc to them either. If I have anything decent to distribute come November time i'll let the material be free with credit.

Of course, if you're TL or another affiliate, you get free access to everything and anything. ^^ Well, except my game :p

Nemesis

Former Administrator
You guys seem to be forgetting one thing- The "hunt" is likely going to be different this time. (Without using the E or R word!)

As of now there is no working way of playing DS Games without buying them, and even if it happens, it will probably be a while, the touch screen will be hard to implement.

The majority of hackers, particuarly the ones working for serebii, for the recent games didnt own the game, and that's how we got the infomation so quickly.

Granted, some people will import, but we will be relying on them to play through the game before we get any infomation on Pokemon.

I might be wrong, but it does seem that things will be different this time around, because of the change in technology.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
How exactly does it make you unexperienced? And why deny yourself a good game? If you're a true pokemon fan, you can't get unexperienced :wink:

And while we're here, what's this E and R word? :? :shock:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Emulator and Rom... Yoshi... You know those nasty illegal things that we'd of course NEVER use. ^^

Yes... Roms are baaaaaaaad. You'd never catch me using them *coughs* ;)

Anyways, I agree with Yoshi's comment about not playing the latest games. Even if you haven't played the series for years you'll never get back to a point of being "unexperienced", so really it's just your own loss. You could be missing out on some really great stuff ^^;