• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Registeel

I know you're all tired of me posting Pokemon in here. :p

I'm not sure about the moveset, whether to go special or physical.

Physical
Registeel @ Leftovers
Impish
Clear Body
EV Spread - 10 HP, 100 Attack, 200 Defense, 200 Sp. Def

- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Iron Defense/Amnesia
- Protect/Stealth Rock/Toxic/Explosion

Special
Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold
Clear Body
EV Spread - 10 HP, 200 Defense, 100 SP. Atk, 200 Sp. Def

- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Iron Defense/Amnesia
- Protect/Stealth Rock/Toxic

I'm leaning toward Amnesia for the 3rd slot because the nature will help defense. It's going to be my wall if this means anything to with your advice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Clinic's here for a reason, Blisk. :p

Registeel does not want to put anything in offense, ever. He's a defender, he wants to defend, and that's that. Also, 252 EVs in HP is mandatory for any defensive wall that has less than Base 130 HP, which Registeel certainly doesn't reach in the HP category. As for movesets, Registeel has a lot to pick from:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Careful/Sassy
Clear Body

- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect/Rest
- Earthquake/Thunderbolt/ThunderPunch/Whatever

Standard flinch-hax set for Registeel, designed to slowly wear the opponent down and try to disrupt their attacks as much as possible. Not a lot will enjoy being paralyzed, especially if it's a sweeper, and paralysis + Iron Head can make it difficult to get attacks off on Registeel, which makes it that much tougher to kill thanks to Leftovers. With Base 150 on both defenses, Registeel can afford to take its time.

Third slot is dependant on which you'd find more useful, although Protect can clash with Thunder Wave's paralysis hax potentially despite being safer than Rest overall. The final move is filler really, to give extra coverage against anything that Iron Head can't damage much preferably.

I was thinking of doing:

Careful
EV Spread - 252 HP, 120 Defense, 135 SP. Defense

- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Earthquake

Better? I'm mainly asking about the EVs.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Split defenses on EVs tends to backfire usually since instead of allowing you to wall both physical and special, it instead spreads your defenses out too thin and gets you killed from both ends of the spectrum instead. Registeel CAN do split to some extent, but I'd put at least 200 EVs into the defensive stat you plan on focusing on, as well as having the Nature boost that stat also, if you don't simply dump 252 in both HP and Sp.Defense and leave Defense as it is - keep in mind your Defense will still be over 300 at Lv.100 without a single EV in it or a boost from your Nature, which lets your Sp.Defense shoot way over 400.