• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Regarding The Recent Sun and Moon Leaks

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
There's been some reports of copies of the game ending up in the wild early, so I'd like to reiterate: Any information you may come across as a result of prerelease leaks is not permitted on Pokécharms until the games are officially out. This means that unless Nintendo have officially revealed something, either through the Pokémon website, their social media channels (YouTube, Twitter, etcetera), or through CoroCoro, it is not allowed until the 18th of November.

While I'm here, it's also worth reiterating our Sun and Moon spoiler policy: Once the games are released, if you wish to discuss something that you would only know by playing them, please restrict that discussion to our Pokémon Sun and Moon Spoilers thread. Please be sure to follow the instructions within :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Oh wow I didn't know they were being street sold! And just a few days before release! Can't people wait a little bit longer? *sigh*
I don't have any exact information to hand, but I don't believe any stores are specifically selling Sun and Moon yet – there's only been one person coming up with information so far, so it's likely that the copy in question was stolen from early stock in the back of a store, or otherwise obtained less than genuinely.

Closer to the release day we'll start seeing tons of leaks due to supermarket/drugstore type retailers putting it on the shelves early, or people going in and persuading confused employees to sell it to them early. I'm debating whether to do this myself this time around. ;) (I've heard there are sometimes penalties for employees/stores that do this, so I don't want to hurt anybody.)

I don't have any exact information to hand, but I don't believe any stores are specifically selling Sun and Moon yet – there's only been one person coming up with information so far, so it's likely that the copy in question was stolen from early stock in the back of a store, or otherwise obtained less than genuinely.

I was wondering if it was a leaked review copy given that we've had several occurences of such with 3DS games, but the hype is so strong for SUMO I wonder if Nintendo even sent out review copies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering if it was a leaked review copy given that we've had several occurences of such with 3DS games, but the hype is so strong for SUMO I wonder if Nintendo even sent out review copies.
Could certainly be, although I assume they'd have a closed, day-long media event for this. They've already done a major two-hour-long preview event for all the major gaming rags, and I can't imagine they'll be anything less than paranoid about full copies.

That's a really really really bad decision especially since this is a fan site.

This site is poke-tumblr made for people who can't handle truth and people who doesn't understand the purpose of an internet fanbase

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@Ethan Russell Pokecharms, unlike tumblr (or twitter, or any other major social media site) is a Pokemon-based website. As said in the article:

The law regarding fansites such as Pokécharms is a bit of a grey area – because we are technically infringing on Nintendo's copyright, we are at their mercy as to whether we are allowed to continue to exist. In our over 13 years of existence, we've never attracted Nintendo's ire, so they've allowed us to continue to operate as long as we play by their rules. We'd like to keep it that way. Unfortunately, as we are a dedicated fansite, we are in far more danger of being served with a takedown notice or otherwise having legal action taken against us than a general community like Reddit or Twitter.

It's a smart decision, unless you want the website to be shut down (and I sure don't, I've spent so much time here it's essentially my home now)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
This site is poke-tumblr made for people who can't handle truth and people who doesn't understand the purpose of an internet fanbase
Well, the "truth" is that if we posted these leaks, there's a very good chance that we'd be lawyered out of existence, so please excuse me if I put the site's long-term survival in front of two weeks' worth of discussion. As I said in the article itself, we don't particularly want to restrict this – but it's out of our hands. And I can promise you, if there's a "really really really bad decision," it's ignoring the clear evidence of what will happen if we allow the leaks.

If you're desperate to discuss leaked information, there are places for you to do so. But until the 18th November, that place is not here.

Welp, the .cia file has leaked. Nintendo might as well release the game now rather than let excited homebrewers and pirates get all over it, ala Color Splash.

I am literally fustrated. I just saw 2 new Pokemon on the image of a YT vid. And the names, which I luckily forgot. Why are people leaking already. Can't they at least wait until UK release. Or at least US. Now I can't even go on Youtube!!!

Also, did you say street copies? As in like a shady deal?

I am literally fustrated. I just saw 2 new Pokemon on the image of a YT vid. And the names, which I luckily forgot. Why are people leaking already. Can't they at least wait until UK release. Or at least US. Now I can't even go on Youtube!!!

Also, did you say street copies? As in like a shady deal?
Physical Copies of the game. Not shady, just from little videogame shops, not big chains ala Walmart.

lol

Despite what you might have heard, you're more like to to run into more than you wanted to see on tumblr rather than less, as I have discovered on many occasions browsing my dashboard in public. Large services like reddit and imgur can weather stuff like getting LAWYERS'D better than a small fansite like 'charms. Someone was streaming the .cia on twitch earlier before getting a hot cup of lawyers as well.