• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Reasons why November is the REAL month of evil

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
x.x

You thought Halloween was bad for evil? Try November in the world of gaming.

A quick leaf through my trusted copy of the latest NGC has only worked to compound my horror as I face a month of bankruptcy.

My tale of woe begins on Friday 4th November, with the first big game release of the month: Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.

With new PSP titles ranging from £29.99 to £39.99 depending on where you look, i'm going to go with a middle number at £35.99.

On the 11th November, an interesting title called Gun is released for the PS2 and Xbox (later going onto the Cube too). A free-roaming Western, it's designed by Tony Hawk's developers and is shaping up very, very well. If I splash out on it, we're talking another £35.99-£39.99 for a copy on my Brick.

On the same day is a game i've been looking forward to since..... forever. The Movies is released for the PC that day and would cost me another £30. That is if I could play it. As it is, I only have 2/3s of a screen so I'll be waiting to get it with me new compy at the start of the year.

A mild saving grace, however. An exact week later, two of the biggest titles this year come out. ON THE SAME FRELLING DAY.

On the 18th, we're looking at the release of both the almighty Shadow the Hedgehog and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Both bound to be slightly underwhelming but definitely great overall. And both costing me £35.99 at least each.

Also, on that exact same day the following titles are out. None of which I intend to buy but all of which deserve a mention nonetheless, just to get a feel of how EVIL November is:

(on the 17th) Peter Jackson's King Kong - Looking to be the greatest movie liscence ever. Even better than Spidey 2.
James Bond: From Russia with Love - Yes, still under EA control but it has Sean Connery in it!
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Smash Football - Neither of which interest me, but will sell decently.
Tony Hawk DS/GBA - The DS one will be online.

So, now onto the most evil of days in this evil month. The 25th.

Gun for the Cube is out. (But wont be counted twice obviously)
Mario Kart DS is out - And is online
Sonic Rush is out - And is the best Sonic game in years if reviews are to be believed
Then it gets worse...

Kirby: Magic Paintbrush is out
True Crime 2: New York City.... is out.

That's a minimum of 4 fantastic games all out on the same God-damn day!

MKDS, Sonic and Kirby will all cost me £29.99 each. True Crime would cost £35.99 at least.

:cook:

By the end of November, with Animal Crossing DS coming out 5 days later on the 5th December, i'll be looking at a game bill of the following:

£269.92

Ouch.

What an evil, evil, evil, EVIL fecking month.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... According to Planet Gamecube's November NOA release lists:

Shadow the Hedgehog is out on the 15th (I don't really care about the other GCN releases).

DS has Mario Kart on the 14th, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on the 28th, and Sonic Rush on the 30th (EDIT: IGN claims it's out on the 22nd o.o).

GBA's Nov releases sound a bit boring to me but Final Fantasy IV is supposedly out December 12th O_O

Between November and December there's no way I can get everything I want. The most I'll probably be able to get this November is Mario Kart DS (that's a MUST) and possibly Sonic Rush. Animal Crossing Wild World on December 5th is another must, and I'll probably ask for FF IV and Shadow for Christmas. If I don't get Shadow from someone else I may not buy it until it comes down in price.

That's not counting all the PS2 games, though, and there are quite a few of them coming out or already out that I extremely want. Guess I'll just have to weigh choices and determine which are the ones I really want now and which can wait for used sales.

I've already got most of my pressing games. The only ones I want that are coming out soon are Mario Kart and Mario & Luigi. And I already have enough money for them. Final Fantasy IV sounds interesting, though.

Not only November, but also December! Just look at all these games!

-Animal Crossing: Wild World
-Donkey Kong Country 3
-Final Fantasy IV
-Legend of Heroes, The
-Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
-Mario Kart DS
-Mario Party 7
-Mario Tennis: Power Tour
-Super Mario Strikers
-Tokobot
-Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

Averaging out $39.99 per DS game, $49.99 per GBA game and $59.99 per GC/PSP game, that works out to (including tax)...

$588.38, which works out to about 104% of what Dr. Oak is spending (sorry to have to outdo you like that, dude).

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hmm. Well, I work on the basis that I can only play 1 or 2 new games at a time. If I bought 4 games at once, 3 of them wouldn't get played for a couple of weeks anyway.

So I buy the one or two I want the most first. Then by the time I've finished or got bored with them, the others might have come down in price, and/or become available in one of the second hand shops. (We have 2 in Kingston itself, and several more in London). Game does second hand, which might be £5 off the price new, or more if you're lucky. Plus there's eBay, although it's occasionally dubious for video games.

So rather than getting stressed out about THE NEED TO BUY EVERYTHING, concentrate on what you most want. Ask for the rest as Christmas presents, or whatever :D.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
And therin lies the problem...

I NEED, and by NEED, I mean NEED (ON DAY OF RELEASE NEED), to have XD, Shadow, MK DS, Sonic Rush and GTA PSP.

I quite seriously, WILL DIE without them. ^^

I'm even thinking of applying to have my week off from work for the week following the 18th just to dedicate my nights to XD and Shadow.

Even if you take stuff like Gun and True Crime out of the equation to wait for later, we're talking about 5 must-have releases in the space of 3 weeks.

THAT'S evil. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
"baratron said:
So rather than getting stressed out about THE NEED TO BUY EVERYTHING"]

I'm with you. At times like these I know I don't have the time or money to get everything I want, so I focus on key titles instead. I really love Sonic games but that doesn't mean I'll be getting Shadow or Rush launch day. Leaving them until the holidays is a better choice because then I'll actually have a bit of time to enjoy them. Still... Rush looks so awesome I may just have to get it as soon as possible ^_^;

Mario Kart on the other hand IS a must, because it'll be my first experience with an online handheld or even online gaming system for that matter (minus PC). As for AC... AC is like a new Pokemon game to me. I loved the first game far too much to allow a sequel to be released yet not in my hands that very same day :p

Linkachu said:
I loved the first game far too much to allow a sequel to be released yet not in my hands that very same day :p

That's exactly how I am with Mario and Luigi. The DS one is going to rock out loud; thus, I need to buy at as soon as possible.

'Tis indeed an evil month, having any of the games however would kick ass.

No idea how many games I'll actually get out of the ones I want. Thank Jebus for new DS games though, shops around here have very few on sale right now.

I need to buy a PSP at some point too, GTA is unmissable. It may have to wait till christmas but meh, that's less than a month away ^^

All in all, looks like there is gonna be a lot of gaming to be done in the coming year, bring it on ;P

I must be the only PSP owner who thinks that GTA would be a huge waste of money. I use my PSP for music and movies (it helps that I got it for super-cheap), but the games interest me about as much as a birthday card with no money inside.

"Doctor Oak said:
I NEED"]Shadow,[/b] MK DS, Sonic Rush and GTA PSP.

Now Sonic Rush I can understand, but Shadow? I can't see it being that great to be honest. This picture pretty much sums up the idea of it for me:

shadow-gameplay01.gif

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
XD

But pushing all the sad-but-true Shadow jokes aside...

Whether we want to admit it or not, the gameplay style of Shadow is exactly the same as Sonic's gameplay in SA2B (not counting the firearm additions). Gun or no gun, though, we all know Sonic's levels have been by far the best throughout both Sonic Adventure games, so a game based on that type of gameplay with no bloody filler characters could be awesome. I'd be much, MUCH happier if this was simply a Sonic-only game, but if this is the closet we'll get to that I'll take what I can get.