• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Re: Pokemon Planning

Are you buying the new upcoming pokemon emerald or some other pokemon game, Are you planning on which pokemon your getting and which moves to teach them if so post here,

I decided to make this a new topic because when a new pokemon game comes out me and my friend make lists on what were going to get and what were going to teach them. So far the total lists my friend has made is around 20

The ones I'm getting are:
Marshstomp
Gardevoir
Feraligater
Jynx
Delibird
Walrein

theres probabliy one more I'm going to get when I get bored

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have a team planned out for Emerald, but I haven't thought up any solid movsets except for a couple:

Swampert
Breloom
Electabuzz
Houndoom
Xatu
Tyranitar

Only solid moveset I have is for Swampert, but I have a few ideas for Breloom and Electabuzz:

Swampert
Surf
Ice Beam (Good for more than just Grass-types)
Earthquake (all three standard)
Mirror Coat (works awesome in NetBattle, so I'm definitely breeding it on)

Breloom
Sky Uppercut (possibly Focus Punch)
Giga Drain
Spore (I'll be able to have it at level 5, too. My work will finally pay off ^^)
Facade (?)

Electabuzz
Thunder Bolt
Ice Punch
Brick Break/Psychic
Barrier/Counter

Iffy. Depends on what Nature/style of EV training I want to go with. Also, I'm not sure about Counter because Electabuzz doesn't have good defences. Chances are it wouldn't be able to survive a strong physical hit to pull the Counter off.

And that's it. As of now it doesn't really matter what the movesets are because all I need to focus on is Natures and Eggmoves (although, Natures are influenced by movesets...).

For me I haven't thought pn what I'm going to teach them yet cosidering my team is basicaly water ice and psychic .The frontier brains look funny to me kogomi looks like mysty wearing a ninja outfit and a wig. Azami looks like sabrina after shes joined the goth club. The guy wearing a fairy outfit looks like giovonii in a bad halloween outfit gone wrong and Dazula well lets just say mario grew up a little fast. I can't wait for the episode of pippi the drugged up clefairy that talks :lol: oH thanks for the edit

A

Anonymous

Well I know what I'm going to teach them now

Gardevoir
Thunderbolt
Dreameater
Calmind
Hypnosis(obviously)

Feraligater
Brick break
Hydro pump
Strength
Surf

Delibird
Present
Blizzard
Fly
Attract

Jynx
Ice punch
Psychic
Toxic
?

Marshstomp
Earthquake
Waterpulse
Muddy water
Dig

Walrein
Icebeam
Waterfall
Iceball
Shadow ball(if it can learm it I don't remember)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
I don't plan teams. I train every single Pokemon. :D

Tried that once... Got bored very, verrry quickly x.X

I like training various teams of 6/7, though. Gives me a reason to replay the games.

And Alex, I'm not sure why it isn't popping up. Try posting your question in the feedback forum for the Doc to read.

My team has changed a bit and the moves I 'm teaching have changed to here's the current team

Feraligater
Irontail
Hydropump
Brickbreak
Screech (or Icebeam depends)

Gardevoir
Shadowball
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Thunderpunch

Teddiursa^_^
Icepunch
Dynamicpunch
Subsitute
Faintattack

Thats the basic changes I will probably change some of marshstomps moves and I'm still keeping Delibird but Jynx and Walrein are out and I'm going to trade for that horsea in pacificlodge and evolve it to Kingdra. I also want a pokemon from that battle tent were you can pick one of your opponents Hopfully my opponent will have Lunatone or something else I would or might want

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Alex Bock said:
My team has changed a bit and the moves I 'm teaching have changed to here's the current team
Dunno if you're actually looking for advice, but here's some anyway - feel free to ignore it ;).

Feraligater
Irontail
Hydropump
Brickbreak
Screech (or Icebeam depends)
You have a mix of normal and special attacks on Feraligatr. According to my book'o'Pokemon, Feraligtr has higher Attack than Sp Atk anyway, so the idea of 2 or 3 normal Attacks plus Hydro Pump is good.

I do think you should probably replace Iron Tail. Water is weak to Grass and Electric, so I'd recommend having something that can take down either of those. Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying and Bug moves are all super effective against Grass. Obviously you can't use Fire or Bug with Feraligatr, but you could use Aerial Ace or Toxic TMs. Ice Beam would possibly be more powerful, but it depends on your Feraligtr's Sp Atk stat, and may be unnecessary if you have Delibird.

Gardevoir
Shadowball
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Thunderpunch
Uh... what's going on here? Thunderbolt AND Thunderpunch - do you really mean that? I'm also not convinced by the idea of putting Shadow Ball on a Pokemon with much higher Sp Atk than normal Attack. If your Gardevoir is still in the Kirlia stage, it might be worth trading it across to Fire Red/Leaf Green so it can learn Magical Leaf. Alternatively, you could try Hidden Power and seeing if it comes out as a Special Attack type of move.

Teddiursa^_^
Icepunch
Dynamicpunch
Subsitute
Faintattack
Did you know Teddiursa can learn Crunch as an egg move? Crunch has a base power of 80 - it's "only" 100% accurate as opposed to never-miss, but unless you're fighting something that's Double Team-ing, the extra power is probably worth more.

Also, at the moment, you have no Normal attacks on Teddiursa, so you're not making use of its STAB. Slash, Facade or Strength would all be reasonable replacements for Ice Punch:

Slash - free (learned at lv 37), base power 70, goes up to 105 with STAB
Facade - TM, base power 70 & 105 with STAB - but power is doubled if user is Poisoned, Paralysed or Burned
Strength - HM (so basically free), base power 80 & 120 with STAB

Also also, if you have Substitute already, you may as well make use of the Substitute + Focus Punch combination, because that's fantastic - Focus Punch from my Snorlax can 1 or 2 hit KO almost anything.

Thats the basic changes I will probably change some of marshstomps moves and I'm still keeping Delibird but Jynx and Walrein are out and I'm going to trade for that horsea in pacificlodge and evolve it to Kingdra.

OK, well I'm going to assume you're starting with the Marshtomp you originally said:

Earthquake
Waterpulse
Muddy water
Dig

At the moment, you've got 2 x Ground moves, and 2 x Water moves. Seems a bit pointless having Dig as well as Earthquake, and having Water Pulse and Muddy Water together. I'd scrap Dig, and choose one of Water Pulse or Muddy Water to go with.

Water & Ground type is 4 x vulnerable to Grass, so you really do need something that can knock out Grass, unless you'll switch if you're fighting a Grass pkmn (be careful of Fire types with Solarbeam). Again, Ice Beam would do the trick. Or you could use Rock Tomb or Rock Slide to attack Flying types that can't be hit by Earthquake, your choice :).

Thank you for the advice. you know alot about pokemon and remind me of my friend. You see baratron I taught feraligater Iron tail for a reason I looked through the combat chart and saw I didn't have a super affective hit on ice and Feraligater has high attack thus me teaching it iron tail. Your right about marshstomp and thats why I was going to change its moves in the first place. I really can't find what I'm going to teach shadowball but I have an idea. and I would like to get crunch for teddiursa but I don't know how to get egg moves. There will probably be another upgrade on my team taking these things in for consideration and I'll tell you guys what I'm teaching Kingdra :wink:

baratron

Staff member
Heh - I didn't know much about Pokemon until a few months ago, when I started coming here. My original Gardevoir moveset was:
Calm Mind
Confusion :oops:
Psychic
Reflect :shock:

I pretty much only used attacks of the same type as the Pokemon to get the Same Type Attack Bonus, and I wouldn't use a move that didn't give the pkmn STAB. Hence my movesets had a lot of unnecessary duplicated moves (like keeping the weak Confusion when I already had the powerful Psychic). Ugh.

Super effective hit on Ice? Hmm... remember that Fighting and Rock are also Super effective against Ice. So if you followed my advice and used Focus Punch on Teddiursa, or Rock Slide/Tomb on Marshtomp, you'd have that Super effective already. I'm not keen on Steel moves because they have a whole bunch of not very effectives. In fact, I just thought - how many Pokemon are purely Ice type? Aren't most Water/Ice? If so, Steel is no use, because the Not very effective against Water cancels out the Super effective against Ice, making it just normal effectiveness. (I hope you understand this rather muddled paragraph).

To get egg moves, you need to breed a female Pokemon of the type you want (Teddiursa or Ursaring) with a male Pokemon who's learnt the move you're trying to get (Crunch). The male Pokemon must be in the same Egg Group as the female Pokemon for breeding to happen. Teddiursa is in Ground group, so any Ground group male Pokemon that can learn Crunch would do. Use this table from Pokemon Forever to figure out who the father should be. Girafarig, Snubbull, Granbull, Houndour, Houndoom, Poochyena, Mightyena, Mawile and Seviper all learn Crunch by Level Up, and to check which level they learn it at use this table. Seviper apparently learns Crunch at level 28, which is the lowest of the Pokemon in Ground group, so probably the easiest one to use unless you already have a high level male Granbull, Houndoom, Mightyena or Mawile.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
"baratron said:
Or you could use Rock Tomb or Rock Slide to attack Flying types that can"]Swampert[/b]
Surf
Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Earthquake

Breloom
Giga Drain
Sky Uppercut (Focus Punch and Spore go together better, tho...)
Sludge Bomb (Kinda defeats the purpose of Spore, but it's a nice powerful attack. Not really much else to choose from)
Spore

Ninetales - I cut Houndoom to reduce my weaknesses
Flamethrower
Confuse Ray
Will-O-Wisp
..... Meep? (I bred Faint Attack onto it but anything could fit into this spot)

Tyranitar - Gave it a Sp. Attack sacrificing nature, so no T-Bolt or Thunder for me
Aerial Ace
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dragon Dance (Breeding fun!)

Xatu
Confuse Ray
Drill Peck
Psychic
Psych Up (Meep? I've never tried it, but does Psych Up work for 2 on 2 battling? Just Psych Up your team mate for easy status boosts ^^)

Electabuzz - With an Attack-down, Defence-up nature
Barrier (No idea... Might dischard it later. Gonna test it out and see how it fairs. Counter may be a better idea)
Ice Punch
Psychic (Or Fire Punch...? A better idea would be welcome. I just chose Psychic for its base damage)
Thunder Bolt

And that's that. If you've trained any of those Pokemon before, feel free to suggest stuff. Unless it's a final attack for Ninetales (or possibly Buzz), though, I'll probably stick with these sets until I can test 'em out.

You guys in the emerald disscussion make me want emerald even more. Well its time to tell you the final list of my pokemon and their moves

Feraligater
Hydropump
Brickbreak
Screech
Strength

Gardevoir
Thunderbolt
Icepunch
Calmmind
Psychic

Delibird
Fly
Attract
Blizzard
Present

Marshstomp
Rocktomb
Icebeam
Earthquake
Muddywater

Kingdra
Dragondance
Waterfal
Hyperbeam
Dragonbreath

Teddiursa
Subsitute
Crunch
Dynamic punch
Return

Feel free to put advice but personally I like what I'm teaching them. whats a water 1/Dragon that can learn dragonbreath?

baratron

Staff member
Alex Bock said:
whats a water 1/Dragon that can learn dragonbreath?
You don't get a huge amount of choice. The only two that learn it by Level Up are Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence and Altaria. Bagon learns it at lv 33 while Altaria is at lv 35, but Altaria is also much easier to catch (Bagons are found wild in a really small part of the game).

It's annoying that Kingdra can't learn Dragon Claw :?.

Theres a new a recriut for my team introducing shellgon. I decide if I'm going to get a bagon and train it to get dragonbreath why not keep it?

Shellgon
Aerial ace
Flamethrower
Dragonclaw
Double edge

Alot of pokemon I'm getting I'v never got before here's a list of the pokemon I'v never got before.

Kingdra
Shellgon
Delibird
Teddiursa(I'v caught a ursaring but never got teddiursa)

When the battle Frontier comes Delibird will still be trained but won't enter because it's not the best pokemon ever but cuttness counts.Shellgon will takeover Delibirds spot and help for the battle frontier.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Pokes hopes and dreams* Emerald makes me a very sad Katie :cry:

If anyone read my post in the "official Emerald" topic, you'll notice what I wrote about trading eggs to Emerald at the beginning... As in, you can't. B00 programers! You ruin all my fun and replay value :p

I still plan to use the team I listed above (I have 'em all breeded n' all) but when I use 'em I have no idea. For now I'm taking a very different route, minus the useage of a traded Mudkip with Mirror Coat.

Current team is Marshtomp, Kirlia, and Gloom, and I plan to get a Torkoal very soon. After that I'm not sure what to train... Only want to train Pokemon I haven't used this Gen, and I'd rather not overlap types if I can help it. Maybe Seviper? Or Lunatune/Solrock, whichever is in this game? That'd give me two Psychics, tho... Same problem I have with using something like Sandshrew. Ah well... I'm sure it'll all fall into place as interesting wild Pokemon pop up.

Hah everyones talking about not beeing able to trade kantos and johtos and me and my friend just realized this at school. I'm still sticking with my planned team and I'll still be good of without my trades my friend is screawed though because she's getting all the eevee forms plus sceptile Delcatty and Crobat. For the league she'll only have 3. I've decided to add baltoy to the team. It originaly was going to be for the lv 50 colosseum battle but now I've decided it'll be in my team and after the league will be put in colosseum plus it saves me the trouble of training it later.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've got my 5th Pokemon in mind now - Magneton - but I can't decide on the 6th. I want it to compliment the Pokemon I already have but it'll be hard to do that and stick to my only-unused Pokemon plan. My team thus far (fully evolved forms):

Swampert
Gardevoir
Vileplume/Bellossom (still undecided which)
Torkoal
Magneton
??????

If I go with Vileplume I'll have nothing resistant to EQ (which we know how much everyone loves nowadays) and I currently have nothing to defeat Dark-types... Not that there are many pure Dark-types to worry about (minus Absol). Besides Swampert, none of these Pokemon really have wide move pools to work with either.

So, any thoughts on a sixth? Anyone? It has to be catchable in Emerald and the more obscure it is, the better (less chance I've trained it then).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Personally I'm going for my Cori team... aka:

Swampert:

- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Absol:

- Slash
- Sword's Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Shadow Ball

Gardevoir:

- Magical Leaf
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

For the game, that's pretty much all that I need. ^^; Probably will toss in a few Utilities, but that's it...

The only hole I see in this team is that I have nothing that has any usable dragon moves...

Hmmm I think you should get bellossom I don't really like them that much but at least it wont be vunrable against psychic. For another pokemon you should get a ghost,dark or ice unless your teaching a pokemon of yours one of those type moves. Out of the three ice is the most important for drake of the elte four and is super effective against mant types.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote name='"Alex Bock"]Hmmm I think you should get bellossom I don't really like them that much but at least it wont be vunrable against psychic. For another pokemon you should get a ghost' date='dark or ice unless your teaching a pokemon of yours one of those type moves. Out of the three ice is the most important for drake of the elte four and is super effective against mant types.[/quote']

Swampert will have Ice Beam, and if worst comes to worst Mirror Coat will probably take 'em out.

I might get a ghost, depending on which on Emerald has. I'd rather Banette over Dusclops. Absol would be perfect, but since I've already trained one I'm gonna pass for now.

Emerald has both ghosts, but I think Shuppet is more common. After Mt. Pyre, I wanted to strangle that thing so much... almost as bad as the Tentacools.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alex Bock said:
... and two more moves for Igglybuff that are good cute contest moves.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of combo these attacks produce, but a few to consider are:

- Charm and Sweet Kiss/Rest* (All are "Cute")
- Pound and Double-Slap (These are "Tough" moves)
- Rest and Sleep Talk/Snore (Emerald Move Tutor)* (All are "Cute")
- Defense Curl and Rollout (Defense Curl is "Cute", Rollout is "Tough")
- Any two of the Elemental Punches (All three are "Beauty")

*Combos Igglybuff can learn one way or another. The rest you'd need Jigglypuff for.

EDIT: ... And now your post is gone. What gives? Did someone delete it or are the forums screwing up again o.O

I also feel really stupid for writing all that out because they're clearly not all Cute-related attacks ^^;