• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS rate my team please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright i need help with my team for the Pokemon league for the 4Th time

please use criticism lightly unless the team really sucks here's my team:

infernape -- amulet coin -- Lev 94 moves flare blitz shadow claw
close combat thunder punch

staraptor -- no item -- Lev 55 fly (not used) close combat
brave bird

garchomp -- leftovers -- Lev 71 earthquake surf
dragon rush dragon claw extra accuracy

please post extra Pokemon i can catch to help cover up for weaknesses

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Um... I think before we even start criticising, you need to read the sticky message at the top of the forum called Explanation: Basics to a Competitive Team.

Basic problems with your team:
1. You only have three Pokemon! (OK, you admit you need to improve that).
2. Your levels are all over the place! They should ideally be within 10 levels of each other.
3. Amulet Coin is a useless item unless you're desperately short of money. It does not boost your Infernape's attacks or defenses. It does not help protect it from supereffective hits.
4. Staraptor doesn't have an item! Even a berry would be better than nothing!
5. Staraptor doesn't have a Normal-type move. As a NORMAL/FLYING type, it should have both a Normal move and a Flying move. Assuming you've been training it since level 4 and it has very high friendship, Return would be excellent on it. But other Normal moves are possible.

Most importantly:
6. Your Infernape has two Fire moves. Your Staraptor has two Flying moves. And your Garchomp has two Dragon moves.

You only need one move of each Type on each Pokemon (with the exception of moves like Substitute or Roost that are status moves rather than attacks).

What is it about Infernape and Staraptor? I posted a moveset for each of them earlier on today. Have a look at how I described building the Infernape moveset with strengths and weaknesses. It should explain how to think about these things.

As for extra Pokemon to catch, well - you could do with a Grass-type and with a Psychic/Ghost/Dark-type at the very least. And you could do with someone who can learn an Ice move. Look through your Pokedex for Pokemon that you like the look of, then look them up in an online Pokedex or FAQ to see how powerful they are.

i said im not sure about the 4th move for staraptor and my other 3 pokemon i have left open as i am not sure who to go for i have also changed fire blast to thunder punch

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If I may interject...

Baratron has pretty much said it all here - the sticky topic she pointed out is by far the best place to go for you now to improve your team.

Also, your team and moves will be much, much easier to read if laid out like so:

Pokemon @ Hold Item
Nature
Ability

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Much tidier and much more friendly on the eyes.

As for the league, well...I actually have no comment this time.

I know this doesn't help much and I apologize, but how are so many people having that much trouble with the league?

im not having troble its just that its the 4th 5th time and i believe they get tougher each time

ok i have a lapras lv 55 that knows ice beam if that covers the pokemon that knows an ice type attack

There is one major problem with your team and thats that there are only three pokemon. I think You could use a fighting type, a ground type, and a grass or water type in your team. Also don't use an amulet coin as a held item try somethingthat regains help or raises defence on infernape.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The number of Pokemon in a team is completely irrelevant to success in-game - I've beaten both Sapphire and FireRed before using only my starter Pokemon for battling.

Read the Clinic rules - poor advice is not tolerated here, Superlugia1.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You can lock topics that you made yourself if you feel the need to.

I'll lock 'er up for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.