• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Rate my New OU team

Machamp(M)
Attacking Lead
Adamant
No Guard
Lum Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Dynamic Punch
Payback
Stone Edge
Bullet Punch

Bronzong
Screener/Tank
Sassy
Levitate
Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
Stealth Rock
Light Screen
Reflect
Explosion

Jolteon(F)
Choice Sweeper
Timid
Volt Absorb
Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Thunder Bolt
Baton Pass
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice

Gyarados(F)
Bulky Dragon Dance
Jolly
Intimidate
Wacan Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Dragon Dance
Thunder Wave
Waterfall
Bounce

Sceptile(M)
SubSeeder
Timid
Overgrow
Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
IVs: 7 HP
Substitute
Leech Seed
Grass Knot
Hidden Power Fire

Gallade(M)
Swords Dance Sweeper
Adamant
Steadfast
Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
From a personal perspective, I must say I like this team here quite a lot. Now for the good stuff:

- Lead Machamp is awesome, I don't think any common lead is guaranteed victory against him thanks to his raw power and DynamicPunch's hax confusion. Ice Punch is a viable option over Stone Edge if you find Gliscor leads crawling about everywhere, but Stone Edge works just as well (if not better due to the superior power and crit chance.) One issue I can see with lead Machamp (in general) is that while he is all but guaranteed victory (or at least a tie, if the opponent immediately explodes in your face or something) against almost every common lead in the game, he is very likely to be revenge-killed easily by whatever ends up coming out after your opponent's lead has bit the dust if Machamp has taken prior damage, which is a shame since you can never have enough Machamp really, and he could quite easily become very useful later on in a match - more on this later.

- Bronzong seems to be spread out a bit thin here defense-wise, but since he's not your lead you can get away with this somewhat since you'll be sending him out on your own terms. I'd be wary of Ghosts with Explosion though, since a mispredict on your part could result in a fruitless and rather embarrassing suicide, and Bronzong will likely want to set up early which gives no time to scout your opponent's team for said Ghosts, unless you save Explosion for a, uh, good time?

- This may be a stretch, but I'd love to put Wish on that Jolteon of yours - while it may force him to switch out immediately with the Choice item upon use, Machamp, Bronzong and Gyarados would all love Wish support since it'd grant them far greater potential longevity, Machamp especially - wiping out an opponent's lead, finding an opportunity to withdraw Machamp and then healing him with Wish later on in the match (if he took damage, of course) could really throw a wrench in an opponent's game plan - lead Machamp is definitely not a Pokemon your opponent will want to see more than once in a match. Wish is a very hard move to fit onto Jolteon, but if you managed it you could really throw off an opponent by reviving a powerful threat they assumed was no longer a danger to them, especially since Jolteon isn't expected to carry Wish.

- Gyarados...needs work. Wacan CAN work on the bulky DD set, but the offensive DD set generally gets better use out of it since it's likely to get a stronger sweep out of it at the end of it all. Ironically, the Leftovers you used on your previous, offensive Gyarados could come in handy here, and since you have no duplicate items at the moment you can use Leftovers on Gyarados and Sceptile (one duplicate item is allowed here.) The moves are what kill this though - Dragon Dance renders Thunder Wave a bit redundant...the paralysis could help out Gallade I guess, but it's still redundant when Gyarados could just pull the sweep off himself, and having a move that increases your speed and one that drops your opponent's speed is rather pointless at the end of the day - Thunder Wave isn't necessary here. Waterfall and Bounce don't provide particularly good coverage either by themselves (Bounce's paralysis hax renders Thunder Wave even more redundant, I should add,) and having only those two for attacks is practically begging for every single Pokemon that threatens Gyarados most to murder him even more severely than they would have normally - Vaporeon and Zapdos would both have a field day with you, Empoleon walls you as well, Lanturn (if you encounter one) destroys you with ease...you get the point. Waterfall + Stone Edge/Earthquake is probably the best choice to go for as far as coverage goes, and Taunt would serve you far better than Thunder Wave would, since Thunder Wave isn't likely to aid Gyarados very much at all against anything likely to wall it whereas Taunt is a very different story.

- You've definitely got a nice set for Sceptile here, but I'd be careful with your Substitutes here since Sceptile without a Substitute is likely going to be very dead, very quickly if things don't pan out well for it. Even with HP Fire, Grass-types could still be an issue due to their Leech Seed immunity, and HP Fire, once seen, would become an extremely predictable response to Grass-types as well as Scizor. The set itself is A-OK (most of the things you'd have trouble with would cause issues regardless of what attacks you used, and HP Fire at least puts off Scizor, who would be this set's worst nightmare otherwise) but be careful with how you use it.

- Attempting a sweep with Gallade is a very risky proposition since it's very easy to revenge-kill Gallade mid-sweep, especially without Shadow Sneak on your set. Even though Shadow Sneak is weak at best, it's better than nothing as far as dealing with revenge-killers goes, and Swords Dance could make it surprisingly powerful - either way, I'd be a lot more reliant on Gyarados for end-game sweeps than Gallade simply because Gallade is a lot easier to stop than Gyarados is, and I'd think a little on what else Gallade could do for your team here since end-game sweeping isn't really his forte.

This team definitely isn't one that will do all the work for you, but teams like that tend to be the most dangerous ones when employed correctly. As I said, I personally like this team of yours, and hopefully the advice given can help you make it even more deadly.