• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Raising Two Starters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I wish to train my two starters, Charizard and Sceptyle. Here are their current statuses:

6.png

Item: None
Nature: Mild
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Strength, Hidden Power (grass), Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast

254.png

Nature: Bold
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Leaf Blade, Screech, Absorb, Quick Attack

Charizard is pretty good, but Sceptile leaves a lot to be desired. So... what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like for your Charizard you are going for a mixed set and the Fire Blast and HP Grass is pretty good. I would suggest replacing Strength with Brick Break so you can brewak through reflect and light screen. You might also want to think about using Roost so you can heal or getting air slash for STAB.

Now Sceptile. You seem to be trying to use a physical set which can be used on a Sceptile but your nature lowers your attack so unless you want to re-breed I would stick with special attack. If you were to re-breed I would keep leaf blade for STAB, have Swords Dance instead of SCreech so if they switch in you will still be able to do damge to all of their pokemon instead of just the one you Screeched. Then you could get rock slide as a flying counter and then maybe Earthquake for power?

If you dont want to re-breed then your best bet is to go with using Special Attack. You could go for a full Special set and use Leaf Storm, HP Ice, and maybe Focus Blast. It would be better to have a Speed boosting nature for this but I guess you could do it with Bold.

Hope this helps :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
'Zard's only issue is Strength, everything else is A-OK besides his lack of a hold item. Either Air Slash, Focus Blast or Focus Punch will work best over Strength - my personal nod would have to go to Air Slash here for the flinch-hax.

Sceptile needs a re-breed to make the most of its potential. My personal favourite Sceptile set is this one:

Sceptile @ Petaya Berry
Timid
Overgrow

- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Sub up against anything you predict will try to status you or use something that isn't an attack, then proceed to attack. If you pull off a certain number of Substitutes, you'll trigger your Petaya Berry to boost your Sp.Attack and activate Overgrow at the same time, resulting in some very powerful Energy Balls. Not much to say than that really

'Zard can make good use of Substitute as well in a similar manner, especially since Stealth Rock slicing his HP in half combined with a single Substitute will push you into Blaze.

AmethystDragon said:
Ok, I wish to train my two starters, Charizard and Sceptyle. Here are their current statuses:

6.png

Nature: Mild
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Strength, Hidden Power (grass), Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast

254.png

Nature: Bold
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Leaf Blade, Screech, Absorb, Quick Attack

Charizard is pretty good, but Sceptile leaves a lot to be desired. So... what should I do?

Try using some TMs on Sceptile. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Not only was your advice completely and utterly redundant (use TMs? Wow, that's about as helpful as telling him to switch on his DS to play the game) but you also failed to notice that the person who made this topic is now banned.

Warned for breaking Clinic rules and general lack of common-sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.