• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Raising my Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on the old forums, and I'm posting it again. I want to perfect my Miltank for online play, so what should I do with it? Here is it's current status:

241.png

Item: Leftovers
Attacks: Earthquake, Body Slam, Heal Bell, Milk Drink
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Lax

Tell me if you need more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Re: Raising a Miltank

The key to Miltank is knowing exactly what you want from her. Are you wanting your Miltank to be purely defence/cleric based, or more of an attacker? She's known as a bit of a tank (and rightly so), but she has a good base speed and decent attack.

Lax isn't the best nature, because even though her Sp. Defence is no where near as good as her defence, she can still take Sp. Attacks quite well with a small EV investment - Lax hinders her ability to do so and will do her no favours. Impish is a much better nature, as it lowers Sp. Attack which Miltank certainly has no use for anyway. Thick Fat is worth a mention too on a Defensive set, as it will halve damage from Fire and Ice attacks. However, you'll be walled by Ghosts to some extent.

Your current two attacks are walled by Steels such as Skarmory and Levitating Bronzong, as well as bulky waters like Swampert for the most part. Gyarados, especially a Dragon Dancing one, will take the opportunity to set up on you.

My Miltank's moveset looks like this:

Body Slam
Milk Drink
Heal Bell
Stealth Rock

She's really great at supporting the rest of my team with Heal Bell, as well as taking physical hits. Stealth Rock supports my attackers and Body Slam has a nice added effect of possibly inflicting paralysis, which helps them again. If you're going for an attacking Miltank, then Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm and the Elemental Punches may well be worth a look, although I feel that Miltank shines best as a tank. Your moveset is okay as far as defence goes, but your nature could be better. Finally, Curse is another option on miltank. If you get the chance to set up a couple of those then Miltank will be a force to be reckoned with.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

A bit of both?

Then you'll certainly want to keep Milk Drink and Heal Bell, so that she can take all those hits and provide healing for your team mates. You two attacks are fine, although like I said before you may want to consider your other options. Earthquake is fine and will make stuff like Metagross, Electrics such as none-Magnet Rise Magazone and Heatran easier to handle. Hammer Arm will take out the likes of Tyranitar and be more useful against Levitators such as Bronzong. Scrappy means that your Body Slam will hit Ghosts, so that's certainly the best ability for your Miltank to have. If you want more power, Return is an option, although you'd be trading in more power for the nice paralysis possibility. Tanky also has the Elemental Punches if you find a certain type of Pokemon is causing you problems. Obviosuly I don't know the rest of your team, but if say - Dragons caused you problems then a nice Ice Punch from Miltank would be a nasty surprise for them.

Miltank@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Scrappy
~Body Slam/Return for STAB
~Milk Drink for healing
~Heal Bell for removing status
~Earthquake/Hammer Arm/Elemental Punch

As for EVs they're really down to your preference. She's a sturdy Pokemon, but without a hefty EV investment in HP and Defence her ability to take physical hits from the powerful sweepers out there will be severely decreased. Without a good investment in Attack, she's not going to do much damage to any Pokemon with a bit of Bulk of their own. Ideally I'd suggest either picking her for a defensive role or an attacking role, but if you are wanting her to do a bit of both you're best investing in Defence and Attack, with a bit of HP for good measure. Her Nature though really needs changing from Lax, however you have her.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

You'll need to breed for it. The father will have to be either Rhydon (who oddly enough is the Pokemon on the bottom of this page as I type. :O), Ryperior, Ursaring, or Slaking. So happy baby-making, young one. :3

Raising a Pinsir

Ok, maybe I should stop making new topics. Could the mods merge these topics into one with the subject "Raising my Pokemon"? Alright, here is the Pinsir I want to train:

127.png

Item: None
Nature: Lax
Ability: Mold Breaker
Moves: Focus Energy, Bind, Seismic Toss, Harden

I just recently caught it.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Re: Raising a Pinsir

If you knew you were making too many topics, why on earth did you make this one?

As for your Pinsir, one word: Re-breed. Lax Nature is horrendous on everything since it increases your Defense and lowers your Sp.Defense - not helpful on anything. As a rule, you're far better off breeding potential team members as opposed to just randomly catching them since you can get far greater control over your natures and IVs, on top of acquiring Egg Moves where able as well.

You still dont think about movesets, and just ask us to make them for you.
Thats a Problem.
What you need to know is, that you will want your Pinsirs to have Mold Breaker and one move that can abuse that. Like Earthquake, as you will be able to hit Levitating Pokemon with it, and you will be able to hit stuff like Shedinja.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

7. Finally, don't just post a team of 6 Pokemon and expect us to make all your movesets from scratch - at least go as far as to suggest your own ideas for movesets, as well as making sure we know exactly what you want each Pokemon to do for you. Going back to the point about asking us to pick your team members for you, the Clinic is for giving advice and helping people along, not for people to ask for other members to make all their movesets from scratch because they're too lazy to do it themselves.

Taken straight from the Clinic rules.

Basically, what Fuman said. All it seems like you've been doing Zoroark, is catching Pokemon and immediately going "caught this, moveset please." The rules state that I want you to at least think about making movesets yourself instead of just asking for advice out of sheer laziness, and apparently, you've not even taken a second to try and do anything off your own back.

If I see another topic like this of yours Zoroark, where you blatantly haven't tried to come up with a moveset of your own, it'll be an instant lock and a warning.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Topics merged as requested.

What I said before still applies here - do not just go catching random Pokemon and instantly asking for a moveset in this topic without even trying to make a set yourself. It is against the Clinic rules and a further offense will get this topic locked and you slapped with a warning.

Ok, now I'm going into my dream-team. Here is my idea of what I want to do with Tyranitar:

248.png

Nature: Adamant
Item: Liechi Berry
Moves: Crunch for STAB, Aerial Ace to keep Fighting and Bug types under control, Thunderpunch to keep water types under control, and Fire Punch to keep grass and ice types under control.

... I have no freaking clue how Tyranitar can learn Aerial Ace, but still, all of Tyranitar's weaknesses are covered. Is that a good idea?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
You're pretty much going to want Stone Edge for a Tyranitar. STAB Rock move that packs one hell of a punch when it hits (and it'll take care of the rare Ice type that you might run into in the metagame, but you're not too likely to see too terribly many Ice types so don't waste too much time worrying about them). Earthquake is anther good option for a move, powerful and can take out quite a few Pokemon. Pursuit can be a good alternative to Crunch, as well.

If nobody else on your team is already carrying it, Stealth Rock could work well for it. Dragon Dance is another decent option if you want to try and sweep (although you'd need to breed for that). Protect could also be useful to scout Fighting moves, seeing as those are what give Tyranitar the most trouble seeing as they have 4x effectiveness against it.

Also, the Sand Stream will help you against a lot of Special Sweepers, so you won't have to worry too much about Special Water users and the such. You can take a hit from them if you have to, or switch to a more viable option to counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.