• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Rain Dance Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
So I finally got my hands on a Drizzle Politoed (with a Special Attack IV of 31 no less! Hooray!) so I'm brainstorming pokemon that could go into a Rain team.

This isn't a set team, but rather a collection of pokemon that could go into the team. I'll probably think of more right after posting this.

(Note: All of these are pokemon and abilities I have access to, as opposed to things I intend to catch/trade for, so some natures or abilities wont or can't change)

Politoed@Rocky Helm
Modest
Drizzle
252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Spd

Surf
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Hypnosis/Perish Song

As far as I can tell, pretty standard for a Drizzle Politoed. Focus Blast is subject to change since it's inaccurate and Surf has been working just as well for now. Rocky Helm for any Sturdy leaders (has worked pretty well against certain things in the PWT)

Ludicolo@Life Orb/Leftovers/Shell Bell
Modest
Swift Swim
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Spd

Surf
Ice Beam
Energy Ball
Leech Seed/Toxic

While not the fastest thing in the world, Swift Swim lets it outspeed most things in the mid-speed range and hit for either STAB with Surf and Energy Ball or slower Dragons with Ice Beam (lookin' at you, Altaria). Again, Leech Seed/Toxic are filler depending on what Ludicolo's up against/whether it will live past the first hit/etc. Hold item is constantly subject to change.

Ludicolo@Big Root/Life Orb
Bold
Rain Dish
128 Sp. Atk, 128 Sp. Def, 252 Def

Leech Seed
Toxic
Substitute
Surf/Giga Drain

Meant as a staller, rain and Rain Dish heal HP every turn, then Leech Seed sets up MORE healing (then couple it with Toxic). Surf/Giga Drain so it can actually attack and Sub so it can set up Leech Seed. Walled by Ferrothorn and Leech Seed is no good against any Grass types.

Kabutops@Choice Band
Adamant
Swift Swim
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def

Waterfall
Night Slash
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

Choice Band locks Kabutops into whatever move but it's sheer power and speed don't really limit it that much unless it runs into a Dragon or Steel type and he's using Waterfall. Hits everything for at least neutral, can deal OHKOs with surprising regularity.

Jolteon@???
Modest/Mild
Volt Absorb
252 Spd, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP

Thunder
Signal Beam
Volt Switch
Shadow Ball

Primary use is Thunder for 100% accuracy in rain. Volt Switch lets it switch out against anything it can't out-muscle, Signal Beam for pesky Grass types and Shadow Ball for general coverage. Item still undecided, possibly Wise Glasses (or whatever they're called).

Magneton@Salac Berry
Timid
Sturdy
252 Spd, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Def

Thunder
Tri-Attack
Flash Cannon
Signal Beam

A less effective Jolteon, basically, but it can last longer than just one attack. Sturdy kicks in which triggers the Salac Berry. Magneton might not be the fastest thing to hit back, but the extra speed boost can't be a bad thing. Attacks are for general coverage, hitting everything for at least neutral unless I'm forgetting a type.

Starmie@Life Orb
Modest
Natural Cure
252 Spd, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def

Surf
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunder

General sweeper, Surf boosted by the rain, Thunder accuracy.

Scizor@Focus Sash?
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP

Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Night Slash
Agility

Focus Sash to ensure it gets an Agility use (though how useful this is, I don't know). Bullet Punch for STAB and Technician, plus priority. Bug Bite for STAB and Technician. Night Slash for any pesky Ghosts floating around. Focus Sash and Agility are definitely subject to change.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Brave/Sassy
Iron Barbs
128 Def, 128 Sp. Def, 252 Atk

Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Poison Jab
Spikes/Stealth Rock

Bulky, and rain lowers its Fire weakness. Sets up Spikes/Stealth Rock, then starts fighting back. Poison Jab so that it can actually fight against Fire types for at least neutral, otherwise STAB moves.

Dragonite@???
Adamant
Multiscale
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Waterfall
Earthquake

Marvel Scale lets Dragonite get a Dragon Dance off, at which point it starts sweeping. Dragon Claw for STAB, Waterfall for rain and flinching, EQ for Steel and Electric types. Alternatively...

Dragonite@???
Modest
Multiscale
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Thunder
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Hurricane

More of the same, but without Dragon Dance. Dragon Pulse and Hurricane for STAB, Surf and Thunder for Rain.

Latias@Life Orb
(I have no idea what nature my Latias is but I'm 90% certain it's Sp. Atk increasing)
Levitate
252 Spd, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP

Psychic
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Thunder

Basically the same as Dragonite, but with a bit more firepower to back it up. Hits everything for at least neutral and is fast enough to deal with a lot of the higher-end Dragon types.

I have to say that is an amazing line up of what could go in, politoad + rocky helm is good against physical sweepers you may need a bug or flying type to counter grass though since fire types will be less effective in drizzle but grass and maybe also a ground type to counter any electric type moves.

That is my opinion on politoad anyway!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Jolteon is actually a great Choice Specs user, especially with Volt Switch. I ran mine with it, and it swept beautifully with HP Ice whenever a ground type came in and tried to counter it. However, if yours doesn't have HP Ice, Shadow Balling or Signal Beaming things in the face will usually catch people off guard, especially with the choice scarf boosted special attack. Jolteon is also great to switch in on other offensive electric types with Volt Absorb. I honestly would prefer Jolteon over Magneton in general because I prefer hard and fast hitters, but it does take a bit more skill to use, prediction-wise. Also, if you can breed for Timid, that would be great to take even greater advantage of its 130 base speed, but Modest will probably do fine.

If you don't like Focus Blast on Politoed, try maybe Psychic or, if you're desperate, Hidden Power.

If you're running offensive Ludicolo, I might suggest Life Orb over the other two simply because I personally like more power, and possibly give it Rain Dance in case Politoed faints. Defensive Ludicolo might do better with Leftovers for even more healing alongside Leech Seed. But yes, it is walled by pesky Ferrothorn, and honestly the only way to fix that is giving it Focus Blast/Ice Beam or something similar.

Starmie seems to be a bit redundant if you already have Politoed and Jolteon providing similar, if not the same coverage. Running Rapid Spin on it might help clear away entry hazards if you do want to keep it, but if anything I'd rather keep the spot for Kabutops.

I would probably prefer having Ferrothorn in the group as well, since right now most of your team seems to be mostly offensive, and while I'm all for hard hitters, sometimes a good wall can make or break a fight. If you want to deal with fire types, Bulldoze might be a good move then as opposed to Poison Jab since it can also get rid of electric types. Rocky Helmet on this thing could also be pretty nasty against physical attackers, but leftovers also work. You can also consider leech seed on this thing if you don't plan on putting it on/using Ludicolo. Or you can have it on both. I'm not too familiar with leech seed, so someone else will have to help me here XD

I think for your last slot could do well with Dragonite, which is somewhat bulky while still hitting hard, especially as a physical attack. As for held item, I'm not sure. Yache Berry?

As for worrying about grass types, most of your things are capable of knowing an ice or a bug move or, if not, then just resists the grass type anyways. Electric types might be peskier, but again, Volt Absorb Jolteon can come in on electric attacks, or you can EQ/Bulldoze them to death with Ferrothorn or Dragonite.

... just my 2 cents I had instead of doing homework. << Not sure if any of this was helpful, but yeah.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Holy fucking gravedig, Batman, Jesus Christ.

Kunahawk gets a warning. Always check the dates of topics and posts before adding your own to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.