• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Questions from a Newb

I'm about... ten minutes old in this forum/site, so...

Anyways, is there any set rules regarding Pokémon Battles when/if it occurs in RP?
Is it like in the Manga (where it's actually pretty brutal with Pokémon actually dying at times) or is it closer to the Anime/Games where it's child friendly?

Edit: REMEMBERED SOMETHING AFTER PICHU'S POST.

Do some people battle in the way they do in Pokken Tourn- wait isn't that basically the same as in the Anime/Manga....

Last edited:
It can go either way in terms of content. The rules just state to not go too into detail in an RP about this kind of violence, unless it is welcomed and there is the appropriate age warning on the RP thread itself. It is mostly towards the anime/manga's way of battling, where battling is not turn-based, Pokemon can learn more than 4 moves, they can jerry-rig different types of moves together to form one, and some more differences between anime/manga and games. Your Pokemon can die in very serious conditions, but they mostly faint from exhaustion from the battle (unless you are actually wanting a bloody war between the two 'mons XD).

It can go either way in terms of content. The rules just state to not go too into detail in an RP about this kind of violence, unless it is welcomed and there is the appropriate age warning on the RP thread itself. It is mostly towards the anime/manga's way of battling, where battling is not turn-based, Pokemon can learn more than 4 moves, they can jerry-rig different types of moves together to form one, and some more differences between anime/manga and games. Your Pokemon can die in very serious conditions, but they mostly faint from exhaustion from the battle (unless you are actually wanting a bloody war between the two 'mons XD).

Really? In the manga it was kinda gruesome.... At least in the beginning, I believe. A Charmeleon used Slash on (Either it was an Arbok or Ekans) and it was.... super effective... >.>

That was a decaying, zombified Arbok brought back by the Ghost-Types of Pokemon Tower, so the scales and flesh were quite easy to slice through, but yes. Although, it is more child friendly, mainly because the majority of people here are 13-17 year old or people who don't like to see or read that kind of stuff XD If the RP creator allows it, the battles can be gruesome. Although, they are mostly PG-13 or PG-15 in terms of violence.

Yikes..... Y'gotta admit though if some poor guy picks a fight with someone who has way stronger Pokémon (like in the game, lul) there is actually a chance of accidental deaths. Do people use rolls for attacks and such in battles?

Nope. We just judge what is realistic and go from there. When you battle, you direct an attack toward an opponent, but the opponent has to say whether or not the attack hit. Some people (like myself) will use the random number generator to see if an attack hits or if a certain status has been afflicted, or I forego that entirely and just see what position my Pokemon are on the field in relation to them and if whether or not I should let the status effect be in effect. Even attacks that "don't miss" can still miss. Although, the stronger Pokemon have a way of holding back, so as to not incur any deaths (Or I'm pretty sure they do XD).

EDIT: The answer to that question of your EDIT is a yes.

EDIT 2: Some people also use Showdown to create a skeleton of what happened or they plan out who wins or loses in advance if it's a tournament RP.

Some people just want to watch the Grass Ty- I mean world burn.

You have a point though, was in an RP with a friend (guild wars 2) and our characters were sparring. We were doing rolls for whether or not something would hit, our characters ended up headbutting each other. And she rolled for damage done (I don't know why) and it was 9/10 so her character's face was cracked open from my character's skull making contact.

Showdown is that one thing where it sometimes gives you an RNG of Pokémon to use in fights with random people right??

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear god XD LOL

To get rid of the hassle of making a character sheet with lots of technical voodoo commonly found in actual tabletop RP games, we forego damage and integers in the 6 main stats, including evasiveness, critical hit ratio, and accuracy. We just say that a Pokemon has trained in that field, since levels are also a concept unused here. Levels, I think, are a concept of how strong or baseline their power is, but Pokemon can vary in strength by either holding back (not the move XD) or going full force.

And kind of. Showdown lets you make a team of Pokemon and you can fight either random strangers or find someone else's handle and fight them. But they do help in giving random RNG when people don't trust their opponents or themselves with their own kind of self-inflicted "RNG" XD