• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Question about Canon Characters

Hi, good morning ^_^ this is a question that I have on the characters rules on this site. I've been looking for the answer to this and I have not been able to find it so I realized I might just have to make a thread and ask it here.
Sorry if it seems obvious, but I've only been here a day and I've been wondering what is this forums policy on roleplaying as canon characters?
Thanks in advance :]!

So canon characters are a bit iffy. Depending on the creator of the RP thread, they'll either allow or not allow people to play canon characters. They encourage others to create an OC.

The reason why is because headcanons exist and the way you play a canon character may differentiate from how others perceive the character. Some people don't know how to differentiate between headcanons or actual canon information.

While it is okay to play canon characters, it is generally looked down upon. It doesn't help that the bad eggs who play canon characters basically destroy them when they RP as them, making it difficult for others to RP with the player of the canon character they so mercilessly destroyed. XD I have seen it done very well though, so it is fine. Just be careful when treading in canon information and trying to incorporate headcanons that may or may not seem logical to flesh out the character more.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ahem.
While you've got the gist of it basically right, @Merciless Medic - kindly leave answering questions about actual forum policy and/or rules to actual members of the staff. I know you're trying to be helpful, but it really isn't your place to do so with a definitive, authoritative tone like that. This isn't the first time you've basically mini-modded, and that's against our rules too.

Anyway, yes. The Official answer is that we don't have an explicit rule against RPing as canon characters or as OCs related to which in some way - but keep in mind that your interpretation of a canon character may vary from someone else's and these interpretations may clash - in other words, it is preferable you refrain from doing that unless you're in an RP where everyone is on the same page and is fine with it.