• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Public Performance Art

My friends and I have been kicking around the idea of doing some Public Performance Art for a while now. For those of you who don't know what that is, you should click here for an example.

It's basically singing or doing an acting bit in public, surprising nearby people and accomplishing nothing other than just a bit of fun. I've decided where we're doing it, and I have an approximate guess as to who to include, but we have little idea of what to do. This is where you guys come in!

We would need ideas of songs or acts to do, and we'd only be doing it with a small group, so any A Capella stuff would be would have to be reduced to five or six part songs. We're not afraid to do singing in public, though some of us are afraid of acting like that (Myself excluded). We'd likely only have one or MAYBE two male singers, and likely just one of them would be willing to any kind of solo singing or lead acting.

Any suggestions for acts or songs? Things that are publicly known are preferred to obscure hits.

Also, no "Don't Stop Believing". As much as we like the song, it's WAY overplayed and people might get annoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it weren't for the "no obscure hits" I would have suggested re-enacting parts of Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog.

Perhaps something topical? Back when Michael Jackson died (love him or loathe him) there were a couple of flash mobs rocking out to Thriller. So, something similar to the London Underground but without the swearing?

Oh! Or you could dress up as chuggers, or some of you could, and then have a sing off!

I have always wanted to go run into the middle of a crowd and start singing the Turtles 'Happy Together.' Now, if I could come up with a good skit and actor choices, this doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Tatile said:
If it weren't for the "no obscure hits" I would have suggested re-enacting parts of Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog.

I don't even care that it's kind of obscure, do it Kal! It's too amazing to not do. Honor NPH, I implore you, kind Sir! (Honestly though, I had thought of Dr. Horrible as soon as I read this topic last night. XP)

But slightly more seriously, Queen is always a good option. If you have six minutes or so to waste Bohemian Rhapsody it up. :3

Uh.

I checked and none of us know any of Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. :x

BUT YEAH MAN, Queen would rock my socks off. And most of the socks of everyone around at the time. |D

Ooohohohohoh, do Bohemian Rhapsody! The song could be sung by girls + guys combo (I've heard it that way in a talent show once) and you guys could do some crazy dancing with it!

But if that's a little nuts, Eleanor Rigby would be freaking amazing a capella and also recognizable.

Monster Mash would be freaking hilarious in October.

YOU SHOULD DO THE POKEMON THEME.

A CAPELLA.

No, but seriously, that'd be ♥

(and the concept of Public Performance Art sounds really awesome ♥ Good luck~)

Ah, Improv Everywhere. I love that group to death. XD

I was in an improv group in school, and we toyed with the idea of doing public bits (we called them capers) every so often. On Halloween, a bunch of our people convened on the main area of campus and participated in a giant zombie battle. It was pretty cool. P:

We also wanted to try one that I think we called the Time Warp. Basically, you get a group of people in a coffeehouse or something and give them a 10-minute schedule, then have them repeat that schedule for an hour. So, for example, someone would walk in with a boombox, someone would spill something, etc., 6 times in a row, exactly the same way every time.

Ah, I see Improv Everywhere has actually done that one - called it the Moebius.

Anyway, improv is super-cool, so you've got my support. Don't limit yourself with what you want to do - if you want to do it, do it, even if you don't think people will get it. Just get out there and sell it the best you can.

Good luck!

Edit: My vote's for 'You've Got a Friend in Me.' Spanish version or regular.

Well, with a group of friends and someone that's good in props and costumes, this would be an epic idea:

Like TBA, I'm in an improv group at school. Well...still in it, he was. Anyway, improv is teh best thing ever.

I love Improv Everywhere so much xD

Anyway, for ideas...Improv Everywhere once did a suicide jumper skit once, except the jumper was only about three feet up. I feel like doing something over-dramatized like that could get some good laughs...but I've got nothing specific...

Anyway, remember to stay in character! Breaking character during one of these public performances would just ruin everything.