• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PS3 DELAYED

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The PSP launched in Europe 9 months after it's original launch date. In that period, it also missed a further two dates for launch.

And now Sony have decided to shoot themselves in the foot again by delaying the Playstation 3 in Europe until March. So, out of the three companies - Sony is the one ducking out of the Global launch. They're also effectively handing Europe to the Wii60 this Christmas and continuing their constant self-destruction.

One mustn't forget also, that the Playstation 3 was supposed to launch this Spring in the first place,

Of course, this follows barely a week after they turned up at the GCDC in Leipzig with no playable games, no announcements and basically only having a presence there "because they had to". This being the same conference being touted alongside the Tokyo Gameshow to be the "next E3"....

Oh well.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that the release date for PlayStation 3 in PAL territories has been pushed back until March 2007.

In an official statement, Sony said the decision to revise the launch date was taken following "the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PlayStation 3."

Consumers in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa and Australasia will now have to wait until March to get their hands on a PS3. However, the console is still on track to launch in Japan on November 11 and in North America on November 17. Sony still plans to ship 6 million PS3 units globally before the end of the 2007 fiscal year.

Blue laser diodes are a key component of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive. Rumours of a shortage began to emerge just days ago, with reports suggesting that Sony had suspended shipment of the diodes to customers making standalone Blu-Ray players - but it would seem that wasn't enough to ensure there would be enough consoles to go round in November.

Sony's plans for a global launch in November were first announced by Ken Kutaragi back in March. The announcement came as a surprise to many industry observers who had predicted a staggered release schedule and a 2007 launch date for Europe - but at E3, SCEA president Kaz Hirai confirmed November release dates for all three territories.

News of the delay will no doubt please executives at Microsoft, which managed to pull off a global launch of the Xbox 360 last year. There were problems with hardware shortages but last month, Microsoft Europe boss Chris Lewis pledged that there will be no shortfall this Christmas - and with only the Nintendo Wii to compete against, MS could be set to clean up.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The title of your topic should be "PS3 DELAYED AGAIN" then ;)

This news doesn't really effect me - both because of location and the lack of even wanting a PS3 at this time - so I guess all I can say is that it sucks for diehard European Sony fans who were anticipating getting their PS3's this year. But... yeah. After how they handled PSPs launch, it's not much of a surprise.

I dislike the last sentence of that quote, Oak. I will be surprised if we sell half as many 360s as Wiis at my store this Christmas. Then again, they're not supposed to be competition, are they?

That news makes me laugh so hard. It's like Sony is TRYING to destroy its video game sector.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking the same thing when I read that sentence. After seeing the success of DS it'd be stupid for anyone to underestimate Wii. At least it did say "could" though.

But again... it's the same old thing, and MS knows it. It will always be a competition no matter how different the consoles are. There will always poorer people out there who won't fully support two or more consoles/handhelds. I know I personally don't, or else I'd be picking up a lot more PS2 games this year than I plan to. DS and PS2 aren't even the same platform but DS is still my focus of attention. *Shrugs*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I dislike the last sentence of that quote, Oak. I will be surprised if we sell half as many 360s as Wiis at my store this Christmas. Then again, they're not supposed to be competition, are they?

The quote is a British source talking in relation to Europe. The 360's actually better off in Europe than anywhere else - the Xbox's strongest region throughout it's entire life-span was Europe. It wont be too hard to imagine the 360 having a very strong Christmas.

You have to also remember that the 360 will have a lot more stock available than the Wii, so pure maths would indicate that it would be able to sell more.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I guess, when I read that sentence, it almost sounds like they're saying that Wii wouldn't be as big a threat as PS3 would've been. Maybe I read into it too much and its only saying "one competitor is better than two". If not... meh.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Wii ISN'T as big a threat as the PS3 would have been. Like it or not, more people are going to buy a Playstation than a Nintendo product right off the bat. The DS outsells the PSP here (I think, it was leading last time I checked the figures) but the PSP outsold the DS for a month when it launched here by a mile.

The PS3 would easily do the same to the Wii this Christmas.

But yes, it is also a point that with only the Wii, as opposed to both it and the PS3, the 360 has more units to sell than it's competitors.