• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

OR/AS Primal Reversion

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
GrouKyoIllustration-x500.png

Primal Reversion, much like Mega Evolution, is a temporary evolution that was first introduced within the 3DS remakes Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. When a Pokémon undergoes Primal Reversion it's said to regain its "original power", aka. it gains various stat boosts and other alterations just like Mega Pokémon do.

Many mysteries still surround this new evolution method. It's been teased that Primal Reversion has some sort of connection to Mega Evolution but the exact links have yet to be revealed.

p06_01_jdl.jpg
p06_02_hew.jpg

For the moment Primal Reversion appears to be a plot-specific evolution method unique to Groudon and Kyorge. Through this reversion these two iconic legendaries are able to transform into their new forms: Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.

A legend told in the Hoenn region explains how Groudon and Kyogre originally achieved their Primal forms:
"It was a primal age, early in the world’s history. The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted to them by nature’s energy, their transformation was named "Primal Reversion" by later people. And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre..."

Be sure to check back as more information is revealed!

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If Primal Rayquaza doesn't end up being a thing, I'll eat my hat. :p

I'm intrigued to see if other ancient-ish Pokemon, like the Regi trio and Regigigas, will receive Primal Reversion forms as well. It would suit the lot of 'em. While the majority of our legendaries are considered fairly ancient I have a feeling that if the likes of Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, etc., were to ever receive Mega-ish evolutions that they'd most likely be called something different for plot-related purposes.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Seems to me like Mega Evolution is a controlled version of Primal Reversion. Mega Evolution unlocks a Pokemon's potential on a controlled scale, whereas Primal Reversion sounds like the result of too much power resulting in chaos. I like it.

As I said in the Staff boards, I'd absolutely love for Fossil Pokemon to all go Primal. If any Pokemon should be able to call upon ancient powers it should be those :D

Not because I'm biased about getting some way of removing Defeatist from Archeops *Cough* Not at all...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Seeing the mini-icons that appear by Kyogre and Groudon's names when they Mega Evol- err "Undergo Primal Reversion", it looks like that may have something to do with their respective orbs.

... Tl;dr, it's not likely anything except those two and possibly Rayqueasy will get Mega-Evos-By-Any-Other-Name. Not that I'd mind seeing more fossils go mega, but yeah. I doubt any of them will go primal.

Guess it's still a matter of skill swapping defeatist away xP

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
... Tl;dr, it's not likely anything except those two and possibly Rayqueasy will get Mega-Evos-By-Any-Other-Name. Not that I'd mind seeing more fossils go mega, but yeah. I doubt any of them will go primal.

100% sure that statement is true... but a girl can dream :') And then watch those dreams burn as I play Omega Ruby.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly, seeing how Primal Kyogre turns into an internal-organ-less gelatinous bag monster, perhaps it's a good thing we aren't getting a Primal Archeops. They'd have probably turned it into a glowy rubber ducky with microraptor winglets or something.

Brimming with the overwhelming power granted to them by nature’s energy, their transformation was named "Primal Reversion" by later people. And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre..."
Hmm, since Primal Reversion was also called a form of Devolution, thought they were trying to say that Groudon and Kyogre's primal forms came first, and then they evolved into their normal forms.

Still, this looks like a nice spin on mega evolution, & I agree with Stellar Wind that Rayquaza will more than likely be the only other pokémon to get a Primal Reversion

What's most likely is that Primal Reversion reverts Groudon and Kyogre to their original, ultimate formes, which leads me to believe the orbs were created in order to reign in their power and bring them under some degree of control. If that's the case, it's likely that Maxie/Archie are looking to destroy the orbs in order for the full power of Groudon/Kyogre to be unleashed, which would cause the spread of land/sea as they want.

Very interesting however you look at it. Very interesting.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm, since Primal Reversion was also called a form of Devolution, thought they were trying to say that Groudon and Kyogre's primal forms came first, and then they evolved into their normal forms.

I've been curious about people making statements like this. Has it actually been officially stated anywhere that they're de-evolutions?

I ask because my impressions of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre based on that Hoenn legend are very different. To me it seems like they're saying that Groudon and Kyogre were their standard forms, yet due to the abundance of natural energy in that time period they were able to transform into greater forms. When that energy began to wane they reverted to their previous forms, the forms which we saw in Ruby and Sapphire. Naturally in the time period that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take place, the abundant energy necessary to obtain their Primal Reversion forms no longer exists. I assume that the orbs have something to do with them regaining those forms again.

This is all pure speculation of course, I'm just very hesitant to use any terms such as "de-evolving" until I have a better understanding of what Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre truly are: their original forms or advanced versions of their original forms, aka. ancient Mega Evolutions.

I've been curious about people making statements like this. Has it actually been officially stated anywhere that they're de-evolutions?

I ask because my impressions of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre based on that Hoenn legend are very different. To me it seems like they're saying that Groudon and Kyogre were their standard forms, yet due to the abundance of natural energy in that time period they were able to transform into greater forms. When that energy began to wane they reverted to their previous forms, the forms which we saw in Ruby and Sapphire. Naturally in the time period that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take place, the abundant energy necessary to obtain their Primal Reversion forms no longer exists. I assume that the orbs have something to do with them regaining those forms again.

This is all pure speculation of course, I'm just very hesitant to use any terms such as "de-evolving" until I have a better understanding of what Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre truly are: their original forms or advanced versions of their original forms, aka. ancient Mega Evolutions.
Fair enough. I was only considering Primal Reversions de-evolutions since that's people were referring to them as when the Coro Coro scans were first leaked, but you're right that it's better to wait and see how these evolutions/transformations/whatevers actually work

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fair enough. I was only considering Primal Reversions de-evolutions since that's people were referring to them as when the Coro Coro scans were first leaked, but you're right that it's better to wait and see how these evolutions/transformations/whatevers actually work

All speculation is fair at this point so no worries at all! I'm just intrigued to see what the truth ends up being. :)

Speculation. Wouldn't it be something if Rayquaza's birth/creation was caused by the abundance of natural energy and was, in fact, the event that caused Kyogre and Groudon to revert, bringing a balance to the order of things? We know Kyogre and Groudon fought and then slept for a long time.

On another note, Kyogre VS Groudon is literally the MOST UNFAIR FIGHT EVER, because Kyogre has 4 times type advantage.

I'll bet that if they make a re-make of the Sinnoh region they'll make a primal Version of Dialga, Palkia, and possibly Girantina. It only makes since because Kyogre v.s. Groundon and Dialga v.s Palkia are the two biggest legendary Pokemon rivalries of all time! (not including Generation V and VI) I mean come on, a fight between Primal Dialga and Primal Palkia would be AWESOME and would get MAJOR publicity.

If Primal Rayquaza doesn't end up being a thing, I'll eat my hat. :p

I'm intrigued to see if other ancient-ish Pokemon, like the Regi trio and Regigigas, will receive Primal Reversion forms as well. It would suit the lot of 'em. While the majority of our legendaries are considered fairly ancient I have a feeling that if the likes of Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, etc., were to ever receive Mega-ish evolutions that they'd most likely be called something different for plot-related purposes.

As you see in my post above I totally agree! ( Lightbulb! ) Maybe Mega-Diance is actually a Primal Evolution! Not likely though. o well just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet that if they make a re-make of the Sinnoh region they'll make a primal Version of Dialga, Palkia, and possibly Girantina. It only makes since because Kyogre v.s. Groundon and Dialga v.s Palkia are the two biggest legendary Pokemon rivalries of all time! (not including Generation V and VI) I mean come on, a fight between Primal Dialga and Primal Palkia would be AWESOME and would get MAJOR publicity.

As you see in my post above I totally agree! ( Lightbulb! ) Maybe Mega-Diance is actually a Primal Evolution! Not likely though. o well just a thought.
They have confirmed remakes of diamond and pearl and you are absolutely right it would be AWESOME

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
They have confirmed remakes of diamond and pearl
... no, they haven't. Although remakes of Diamond and Pearl are very likely in a few years' time (think 2018-2019, during Generation 7), there have been no official announcements from TPC or Game Freak. :)