• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Preliminary League 2011 Discussion

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wanted to get a discussion going about what people would like to see happen with the 2011 Pokecharms league. This is by no means the end-all-be-all of what will be decided - that will ultimately be determined by myself and KoL - but let's generate some ideas. :)

* What kind of league (Gen IV or Gen V) would you like to see run this year?
* Singles or doubles?
* When do you think the sign-ups should begin, and when should they end? Should there be restrictions on who can compete and who can't?
* Should we do full 6 on 6 teams again, or less?
* Should the league matches stick to one vs each competitior, or be changed to best two out of three?
* Anything else you'd like to discuss?

These are just some ideas to generate some discussion. The general league rules were altered after the 2010 league ended, so here's how they stand as of now:

Standard League Format
  • The league will run annually over the summer months of July and August. Registration dates will be provided by league organizers.
  • Each season will follow a specific Pokecharms battling rules set. You are not required to register your team, but you are required to adhere to the chosen rule set for the season.
  • Each competitor must battle every other competitor who's taking part in that season.
  • We'll be running on a points system. A win is worth 3 points, a tie is worth 2 points, and a loss is worth 1 point. Whoever has the most points once the season is completed will be crowned league champion.
  • League Battles between participants may be freely arranged and fought at any time within the span of the season. However, while competitors are responsible for actively organizing their battles themselves, league organizers may step in under special circumstances to make sure all matches are completed.

League Battling Rules & Guidelines
  • It should be decided by both competitors before a match begins whether it will be a league battle or a friendly battle.
  • Once a league battle is completed, both battlers should post on the forums stating who won/lost the match or whether there was a tie. A topic for this will be provided by league organizers.
  • Cheating of any sort is prohibited. This includes using hacked Pokemon or those obtained via the RNG method. Anyone caught doing so will be kicked out of the current season and potentially banned from the league.
  • How competitors organize their matches is up to them. The #PokecharmsWFC IRC channel is a great meeting place both during the week and on the weekends, so it's requested that people take advantage of it. Another useful way to contact fellow competitors is through private messages on the forums.
  • Competitors are expected to take part in at least one league match per week. Additionally, it's requested that they attend the Saturday group meetings at least once every two weeks. Exceptions may be made for competitors who actively battle and frequent the WFC chat.

DoctorOak said:
Gen IV, Singles, 6vs6 and I'd be open to a best of three set up.

Basically this. Even though I'll have had White for a couple months by this time, I won't be completely familiar with Gen V. I'd do a lot better with it being restricted to Gen IV. I'd also prefer Singles and 6vs6. I was unable to participate last time, so I don't know how well one battle worked, but 2 of 3 might be better because it'll eliminate flukes.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
To be honest, I'm rather leaning towards best out of three myself. I wanted to see what you guys felt about it, tho, because you'd be the ones actually battling those extra matches.

Thanks for the comments so far, and keep 'em coming. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The biggest problem I can see with 6vs6 best of three is that it'll often be stupidly long - are you sure you'd want potentially 3 matches each approximately 20-30 minutes long one after the other?

Also, I fail to see why Gen V seems like such a taboo. You don't have to be completely familiar with Gen V to get into it, in fact the league could serve as a good way to get used to Gen V's new Pokemon, items and mechanics. Besides, it doesn't take months to read up on what Gen V is all about - I knew what I wanted for it after about half an hour of reading.

Honestly, give me a GOOD reason why Gen V is a bad idea, because I've yet to see one reason that doesn't suck.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Because I have a Gen IV team right now. By the time the league comes along, I'll be fortunate to have had the time to have finished the main game of Black, let alone been working on a new competitive team by then.

Originally I'd said to Katie that Gen IV for the league was fairest all around - especially since it seemed likely that in Europe we wouldn't be getting the games at all until very close to the summer anyway. Obviously, that isn't the case in the end - but still, we're talking 2-3 months to play through the games and work on a new competitive team under a new set of rules, opportunities and variables. A meta game nut may be able to crack that out no problem, but for those of us who just want to play the game as something fun in our limited spare time, that's not really enough time to put something worthwhile together.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
DoctorOak said:
Because I have a Gen IV team right now. By the time the league comes along, I'll be fortunate to have had the time to have finished the main game of Black, let alone been working on a new competitive team by then.

Originally I'd said to Katie that Gen IV for the league was fairest all around - especially since it seemed likely that in Europe we wouldn't be getting the games at all until very close to the summer anyway. Obviously, that isn't the case in the end - but still, we're talking 2-3 months to play through the games and work on a new competitive team under a new set of rules, opportunities and variables. A meta game nut may be able to crack that out no problem, but for those of us who just want to play the game as something fun in our limited spare time, that's not really enough time to put something worthwhile together.

Now with this I can see your point quite clearly, the main issue coming to mind being that players such as myself, Bal and Havak will likely clock the game very quickly and be prepared for Gen V play far faster than everyone else, which is certainly an advantage none of us need.

OK, that does definitely change the scene a bit...I'll see what everyone else has to say.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What I was personally thinking is that the League could be Gen IV for the reasons Alex suggested, and the Winter Tournament could be Gen V. That way we'd still have something to do with our Gen V Pokemon this year, and it'd give everyone more than enough time to sort their competitive teams out.

We could also do some smaller tournaments focused on the VGC 11 rules, prior to the big Winter Tournament.

The biggest problem I can see with 6vs6 best of three is that it'll often be stupidly long - are you sure you'd want potentially 3 matches each approximately 20-30 minutes long one after the other?

Yeah, my thinking, too. Consider battling stall teams like Bal's, which can take ages to complete. Would you still want it then?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Honestly, yes. I'd rather be capable of using my full arsenal than being limited to just three - even if it means long battles with a few select people.

There's nothing to say that all three battles have to take place at the same time. If you got stuck in a 20 minute battle and didn't want to do another one there and then, just do it the next time you're both available.

Right I think I will give my thoughts but first...... I had to LOL at two quotes in particular...

King of Lucario said:
Now with this I can see your point quite clearly, the main issue coming to mind being that players such as myself, Bal and Havak will likely clock the game very quickly and be prepared for Gen V play far faster than everyone else, which is certainly an advantage none of us need.

OK, that does definitely change the scene a bit...I'll see what everyone else has to say.

Linkachu said:

Yeah, my thinking, too. Consider battling stall teams like Bal's, which can take ages to complete. Would you still want it then?

I had a feeling I would come into this when talking about time :p (even though my team is actually not a stall team hehe)

Right back to the discussion at hand....

I think for the sake of Charms battling, we should stick with gen IV and have a few mini gen V tournaments so everyone can get used to how the gen V pokemon work and can get a feeling of how they work individually (VGC 11) and in conjunction with the previous generations. Once there is a proper transition into the new gen we can then move forward with the focus we want ie whether we want to have specific VGC 11 style tournaments or whether we will stick with the "all-gen" tournaments.

I guess this will lead to the extra things like banned lists and rulings but i think it will be good to keep with what we know for major things but have little experimental sessions to get everyone up to speed.

Now in regards to the formats I think for Gen 5, I like the current set up as it is currently for gen IV, its pretty solid really I just think we will have to look at the banned list *Really wants Garchomp back :p*. 6 vs 6 matches for me are the matches for tournaments and it should probs be kept to a one match set up whereas 3 vs 3 and possibly doubles will have more scope for best out of 3 since they can be alot quicker *emphasis on can be*

Ps Sorry to all those who have gone through long battles with me lol (it helps to extremely patient hehe) I guess I am the best example for when thinking about rulings on time hehe