• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Other Potential VGC2019 Team

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I don't know how to preface this so let's just cut right to the chase.

Kyogre@Blue Orb
Modest Nature
Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Moves:
-Origin Pulse
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Since cover Legendaries will be allowed in VGC next year, I've chosen Primal Kyogre to be the crux of my team. The EV spread is for bulk and to make sure Kyogre is slower than an invested Primal Groudon so that rain gets set last which will either force the switch or leave Groudon helpless. Origin Pulse is for spread damage, Water Spout is to try for first turn KOs before Kyogre takes any real damage, and Ice Beam is for Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Mega Rayquaza, and coverage against Grass-types or anything that would resist water.

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Timid Nature
Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Moves:
-Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Dazzling Gleam
-Protect

Typical Koko set only I replaced Thunder Bolt with Thunder for more power and the 100% accuracy it'll get under Kyogre's rain. Tapu Koko is necessary for dealing with other Kyogre and bulky Water-types in general.

Metagross@Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
Clear Body/Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moves:
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Protect

Mega Metagross synergies well with Kyogre as Metagross answers the threat presented by three of the four Tapus while the rain nullifies Metagross's weakness to Fire. Starting the match with Clear Body will negate Intimidate users thus preserving Metagross's Attack stat. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are for STAB while Ice Punch is to take out the same threats as Kyogre's Ice Beam should the latter not be on the field. Running Jolly instead of Adamant lets Metagross outspeed most of its threats.

Swampert@Swampertite
Adamant Nature
Damp/Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Yes, I know only one Mega can be used at a time but hear me out. Mega Swampert's Swift Swim will make it a terror in rain as its otherwise mediocre speed will be doubled allowing it to hit fast and hard. Earthquake is for STAB, spread damage, and to make any Electric and Steel-types think twice before taking on the King of the Sea. Rock Slide is even more spread damage against all Flying-types, especially Thundurus and Celesteela who avoid Earthquake. Waterfall offers up some Physical Water to breakthrough Special walls. Swampert makes for a viable substitute should I decide to leave Metagross on the bench.

Kingdra@Waterium-Z
Modest Nature
Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Moves:
-Surf/Muddy Water
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
-Flash Cannon
-Protect

Kingdra would be my Sweeper should I keep Swampert on the bench and use Metagross as my Mega instead. As for the moveset, Muddy Water would be good for its spread damage that doesn't hurt its partner along with dropping the accuracy of its foes but I don't like the low accuracy of the move which could easily miss at the worst possible moment. Surf is the stronger move with better accuracy but I'd have to have Kingdra's partner use Protect to avoid damage. Waterium-Z gives me a one time use of perfectly accurate high power STAB attack to hopefully KO one opponent. The Draco Meteor vs Dragon Pulse debate comes from wanting more power at the cost of crippling Kingdra's Special Attack or using the weaker move that won't force me to switch out. Flash Cannon is for coverage.

Kartana@Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Moves:
-Leaf Blade
-Smart Strike
-Night Slash
-Sacred Sword

Kartana is another one who synergies well with Kyogre in that the rain cancels out Kartana's crippling Fire weakness while Sacred Sword eliminates Ferrothorn, Smart Strike takes care of the Tapus, Night Slash is for the Lati's and Giratina, and Leaf Blade removes Bulky Water-types. All the while Beast Boost continues to crank up its already formidable Attack stat. The main thing Kartana needs to watch out for are any Special Attacks coming its way because even with that extra point it'll still fold like tissue paper.

For the team as a whole I'm already aware of two glaring weaknesses. The first and biggest one is that the team can only function so long as Kyogre is on the field. Once Kyogre is removed either by fainting or by a forced switch, the Swift Swimmers lose their speed and Koko's Thunder loses its accuracy. Basically the only ones who can survive outside of rain without suffering too much are Mega Metagross and Kartana.

The other weakness is my use of two Megas. I want Swampert for its access to strong spread moves but Metagross is also useful for the aforementioned reason of not needing rain to do its job and not being susceptible to Intimidate before Mega Evolving like Swampert is. If I'm using Swampert then Kingdra becomes redundant since that'll just be another Water-type with similar moves to Kyogre and Swampert. If I'm using Metagross then Kartana is redundant for the same reasons; similar moves and weaknesses.

And that is why I'm here. Do I need to replace a Pokemon or two? If so, then who do I drop and who would be better suited in their place? Or is this team good as is and just requires a bit of rearranging/polishing to make it better?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll just go over a few general things:

- Skill Swap works brilliantly with the Primal weather effect since it can allow you to re-activate them without having to switch out the Primal weather user. This works especially well with Kyogre since it lets it turn an otherwise threatening Primal Groudon switch-in into a free KO for you as long as the Skill Swap user goes before Kyogre, which is fairly easy to manipulate with EVs. Water Spout is rendered obsolete by Origin Pulse on that set mostly since you don't really have any ways to ensure Kyogre doesn't get hit before it can get an attack off, and it isn't exactly the quickest thing in the world.

- Two Mega Stones on a VGC team is actually fairly common since it allows a team more flexibility with its picks.

- Tapu Koko has access to Taunt, Sky Drop and Nature's Madness, which are all worthy of consideration.

- Something with Lightning Rod can combo well with Kyogre to keep it safe from Electric-type moves. Keep in mind though that if you do have a Lightning Rodder, it will end up screwing over half of your own Tapu Koko's moveset as well.

- Ludicolo is typically more popular than Kingdra in the doubles Swift Swimmer department due to Fake Out.

- I'd avoid revolving your entire team around Kyogre's weather effect since it leaves you shit out of luck if the rain is removed and you have no way to bring it back on the field, and since your nature doesn't drop your speed Groudon can still undercut you and leave you in the sun. Also note that your speed won't stop Mega Rayquaza from removing your rain effect for strong winds, since the Delta Stream effect goes off when it Mega Evolves. Having a few team members who can take advantage of the rain is fine, but the most crucial thing is ensuring the team can still function without it.