• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Politics and Political Alignments

Since this forum has proven itself to be a generally mature and tolerant bunch, why don't we talk politics? This is a more concrete subject then religion in my opinion.

My political alignment is left-wing, more specifically aligned with the beliefs of the American Green Party. I concern myself both with the issues of the people and of the planet. One of the few exceptions to my left-wing beliefs are in gun laws. I'm fine with restrictions on licensing and such to a point, but guns should still be available to the people to preserve their freedom to live and live safely with the knowledge they can protect themselves.

What do you guys consider yourself?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
My position on politics is that they should be done away with. The people really running the world are slimy narrow minded idiots powered only by self-interest and nothing but, and the few people in power that aren't like that can't do anything about it because of aforementioned narrow-minded idiots powered only by self-interest getting in their way... or worse. They erode and become like that because it's their only way to survive in the political rat-race.

But we can't do diddly-squat about it because the majority of humans who bring these corrupt people to power in the first place are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be second against the wall when the revolution comes. (The first, as we all know, are the Sirius Cybernetics Complaints Division)

So I'm quite apathetic about politics. Sure, I get angry when leaders do stupid shit, but then, I know that a different government would have probably done the same stupid shit. Granted, some stupid shit is inevitable as results of factors that most of us aren't aware of, but most of it really isn't but happens anyway because someone has something to gain from it, and the public is too stupid to kick these arseholes off their high horse. Usually because the other option is either less reliable or because we know can't do anything about anything because of aforementioned someone-having-something-to-gain-from-it.

It's all an illusion. Seriously, who the hell let humans run the planet? >>;

I'm rather politically apathetic.

See, at the end of the day, no matter what, it'll be humans running things. Therefore, there's bound to be major screwups somewhere along the line. There's bound to be corruption, stupidity, and general fail. I figure spending too much energy on all this hubbub is just silly :> We're all just meatbags full of chemicals anyway (scratch that, I'm a meat popsicle).

As for my views on issues, I'm probably all over the place. Generally, though, I'm more of a liberal person- I say let people do what makes 'em happy, as long as they're not hurting others. *shrug*

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
SineCosineTangent said:
As for my views on issues, I'm probably all over the place. Generally, though, I'm more of a liberal person- I say let people do what makes 'em happy, as long as they're not hurting others. *shrug*

^ This.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, let me ask this then. It's easy to say that you don't care about or need politics, but then - what else would you replace them with? Nothing at all? Nobody to oversees health care, education, the conditions we live in, etc.? That's basically saying you'd want Anarchy, and that's always a double-edged sword. =O

As much as I'd jump on the bandwagon and say "humans don't need government because they should all just die!" well, I'm human, lots of my friends are human, and I like us all being alive and healthy, so yeah. I think those sorts of thoughts are kinda missing the point of the topic, too. XD

Lots of philosophers have given interesting insights to different forms of government, or lack thereof. I've always felt that this "philosopher king" answer to who controls humanity is probably better than what we have now, but that's all hypothetical for obvious reasons. Generally I'm just glad that I don't live in a country with a dictatorship (even if the forums feel like one some days... Okay, ALL the time ;D).

But to the point: of our current democratic government, I consider myself either green party or NDP. The first is more geared at keeping the ENTIRE planet happy, and the second is more holistic about meeting everyone's needs. Great ideas in theory, but the last time NDP had power in Ontario they did a horrible job with it. Whether that was their own failure or the fact that their ideals are just not realistic enough I'm not sure. The green party also lost a lot of the respect I had for them in the last election when their candidate made a "deal" with the liberals to get the conservatives out of power. Yay for selling out.

In the end, I'm not a huge follower of politics and generally think most of ours is a joke. Usually it doesn't come down to who I think is better, it comes down to which party is filled with less morons. ;p

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
See, Katie, over here, all parties are equally full of morons. XD I feel that most of my bias against politicians (and my gods I have a LOT of that) is due to the fact the ones we have here all need to be rounded up and shot with double rainbow guns.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
StellarWind Elsydeon said:
See, Katie, over here, all parties are equally full of morons. XD I feel that most of my bias against politicians (and my gods I have a LOT of that) is due to the fact the ones we have here all need to be rounded up and shot with double rainbow guns.

That I can agree with. That and basically everyone else's politicians. 8D

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Quoting one Captain John Sheridan, "I'll tell you one thing. If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the gene pool, they'd have stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea! Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was... overrated!"

Rex

Resident Furry
I'd have to agree with Katie. Most politicians are morons, but without Government, things would fall apart.

Personally, I am a Liberal identifying with the American Democratic Party. They always seemed more generally level-headed then our seemingly insane Republican Party. Statistically, it seems that things are better for our country under a Democrat, but that may be just me interpreting the data wrong. Case in point, under Clinton, the US saw its greatest peace-time economic expansion in its history, and so far under our current president, we are one step closer to the free health care so many other countries enjoy, jobless claims are as low as they've been since 2008, and the stock market is recovering. Those are my reasons, and I believe that they are sound.

I used to stand conservative aligned with Republican, but to my surprise, today's Republican was full of liberals as well, but did that change me? No, after much meditation throughout the last couple of years, I will say I am no longer following politics, even though I still share some of the perspective a conservative would hold, I don't wish to at ALL follow this high school musical.

StellarWind Elsydeon said:
WHOOOAA WHOOOAAA WHOAAAA!!! Double Rainbow all the way!

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I don't really align myself with either of the two major political parties in America, simply because I don't fully agree with either one. I am, however, very liberal (socially). I'm pro gay rights, pro choice, anti war and pretty much agree with the liberal agenda on most topics of this nature.

I pretty much vote Democratic by default, because voting for a third party that completely agrees with me would be a complete and utter waste of my vote (which is a sad, sad thing really...). However, that doesn't mean I agree with the Democrats. I don't care for their need for an overly powerful Central Government, or their economic policies. On both fronts I'm much more Moderate.

But yeah, America is pretty fucked up when it comes to politics. You know it's bad when before Obama was elected the most diverse President America had had was John F. Kennedy. -.-