• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed PokéSync: Discussion Thread

What region should the Rp be held in first?

• Kanto

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Johto

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Unova

• Kalos

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Alola

• Galar

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think some weather conditions are harder to combine. A hail storm would suggest clouds which would block the sun and prevent it from being sunny. If it's possible for there to be a hailstorm without clouds then we'd have to look into that.
A possible way to go is to develop more custom weather conditions and effects. For example snow is very reflective so harsh sunlight hitting fresh snow tends to cast a glare. I hear you can even get sunburn in that way because of how much light is reflecting.

So for a situation like that it could trigger a field effect like 'strong glare' which would lower the accuracy of pokemon on the field.

A possible way to go is to develop more custom weather conditions and effects. For example snow is very reflective so harsh sunlight hitting fresh snow tends to cast a glare. I hear you can even get sunburn in that way because of how much light is reflecting.

So for a situation like that it could trigger a field effect like 'strong glare' which would lower the accuracy of pokemon on the field.
This could also arguably buff certain moves, such as flash. Which, under those conditions, may lower accuracy by 2 stages instead of one. Really just depends on how creative we get.

I was just wondering since protect was brought up as a way to counter certain moves with high pp cost. It would've sucked if someone could just spam protect to defend against those attacks until they run out of pp lel
Well, tbf since protect and detect are different moves, if a pokemon has both of them then...yea, they kinda could >~>

Cause you'd only have 2 pp for a move like Fire Blast.

Of course, there's a debate to be had over how that could or should be handled. There are...a few moves that go through protect/detect after all.

Well, tbf since protect and detect are different moves, if a pokemon has both of them then...yea, they kinda could >~>

You'd only have 2 pp for a move like Fire Blast. Of course, there's a debate to be had over how that could or should be handled. There are...a few moves that go through protect/detect after all.
Should just have it where detect can't be guaranteed right after protect. Give it the same chances as a consecutive protect.

I mean Wonder Guard is different, you have to hit it with super effective moves only or chip damage, from weather, poison, burn, etc... It's not exactly a protect and the one Pokemon that has it, only has 1 hp, so not much to worry about there.

Also spamming Protect and Detect is fine to me, you get like four in total? While your enemy can have multiple heavy attacks which stock up to a total of more than four in the end

I think the easiest solution is just to leave abilities as they were but negative abilities are forced to take effect. Perhaps an immense use of energy could bypass the negative effects
Yea, but I don't think that scales well later on, and I don't want to allow too much 'brute forcing your way through negative effects', or otherwise selectively activating effects only when it benefits you.

I think it plays into self-balancing, because once you know what effects an ability has and it has to take effect then both the trainer and their opponent will have to work with those limitations. Either to make the best use of such effects or try to use the effects of their opponent's abilities to their advantage.

Yea, but I don't think that scales well later on, and I don't want to allow too much 'brute forcing your way through negative effects', or otherwise selectively activating effects only when it benefits you.

I think it plays into self-balancing, because once you know what effects an ability has and it has to take effect then both the trainer and their opponent will have to work with those limitations. Either to make the best use of such effects or try to use the effects of their opponent's abilities to their advantage.
Then I would just say make it so negative abilities are forced to activate and leave normal ones the same as before. I like the system we had at I don’t think it really makes sense to change it.

The only other way would be making them passive and having them always active for everyone, which throws a wrench into things because I think in rp the applications would be different from an in game battle. I think it’s far more logical that a Pokémon could activate intimidate multiple times throughout a battle vs them only being scary to the first Pokémon they’re up against. Also the weather and terrain inducing abilities creating weather conditions just feels like something you’d choose to activate

Then I would just say make it so negative abilities are forced to activate and leave normal ones the same as before. I like the system we had at I don’t think it really makes sense to change it.

The only other way would be making them passive and having them always active for everyone, which throws a wrench into things because I think in rp the applications would be different from an in game battle. I think it’s far more logical that a Pokémon could activate intimidate multiple times throughout a battle vs them only being scary to the first Pokémon they’re up against. Also the weather and terrain inducing abilities creating weather conditions just feels like something you’d choose to activate
While it might be sensible it skews the balance, certain abilities would simply still need to be restricted. As Hec pointed out you could Intimidate a physical attacker into a non-threat with repeated intimidates.

There would have to be some sort of control in place.

While it might be sensible it skews the balance, certain abilities would simply still need to be restricted. As Hec pointed out you could Intimidate a physical attacker into a non-threat with repeated intimidates.

There would have to be some sort of control in place.
I thought we had agreed intimidate could lower one attack stat per Pokémon. It can’t intimidate you more than the first time

League Announcement: Energy, Health, and the Defensive Matrix

Alright, since there's quite a bit of confusion on this topic, let me provide an explanation.

Forget about Pokemon for a moment. Let's paint a picture.

Imagine a warrior wearing a set of full plate armor and welding a heavy weapon. Simple enough, yes?

Now, his opponent is another warrior with the same equipment: A full set of armor and a heavy weapon.

These two warriors engage in combat, but it's meant to be friendly, so they're going to try to avoid maiming/killing each other.

To achieve this, the warriors trade blows until either: A) one warrior's armor is hit enough times that it's defensive abilities are compromised or severely damaged, such that any further fighting will result in harm or injury to the warrior's body; B) one of the warriors runs out of stamina, the weapons they're swinging around are quite heavy and they don't have endless strength/stamina to fight for 10 hours straight.

These win conditions are separate from each other, meaning they can occur independently.

Now, let's make some parallels.

The two warriors are Pokemon.

The suit of armor is their defensive matrix/defensive energy.

The heavy weapons are their moves.

The stamina is their energy.

An official league match is considered a friendly spar where you're NOT trying to kill/maim your opponent.

So in an Official League Match, Pokemon can continue to fight until either: A) they are hit with enough moves to deplete their defensive matrix, at that point they'd be considered 'Fainted', not because they're unconscious, but because any further attacks will start doing permanent damage to the Pokemon's body; B) they run out of energy or PP and can no longer utilize moves to deal damage.

This distinction is made because when you're in the wild, when you're exploring ruins, when you're in the middle of a rabid pokemon horde, when you're fighting villains, there's absolutely no guarantee your opponent will stop after your Pokemon's energy is exhausted. In fact, you should straight up assume that your enemy's goal is to try to kill/main you and your pokemon.

Remember, pokemon are creatures who can level mountain and punch through steel plates. In a 'realistic setting', this is what happens when Pokemon fight:

arbok_slashed.png

Untitled-design-44.jpg

and sorry fam, but Nurse Joy isn't healing that.

These are the risks you assume whenever you, as a trainer, decide to go out in the wild and try to 'push your limits'. Wild Pokemon can be very strong, stronger than you in some cases, and death/maiming of your OC or your Pokemon is entirely possible. Make no mistake, the likes of ruins and even certain events possess danger that can take your life. I don't discourage flirting with death though, just remember you do so at your own risk.

Your defensive energy is that suit of armor, it keeps the stakes in a battle to just the outcome of the battle and possible prestige and rewards from winning. In most desperate situations, when your defensive energy is exhausted, choosing to fight means being willing to bite the bullet and decide which limb you want to lose when your opponent lands a 'Slash' attack.

But anyways, Have fun exploring~ :blush:

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul
@Godjacob
@Tortles
@Grand Master Koop
@MegaAbsol
@kyuukestu
@Foxex
@YoKaiKingEnmaDaiyou
@JadeStar
@ThAtGuY101
@Malcolm102
@OmnipotentOnion
@Chiphead_

Can Weather change anility still be used outside battles?
Well, I'll make another announcement on it once we've come to some kind of conclusion on how abilities work.
Also if I'm correct about the math of repeating moves like Protect more than once, the second time gives it a 1/3 chance to fail and the the next time is 2/3 and the fourth time is a guaranteed fail.
In gen 8 the chance of protect or any such move succeeded is divided by three after each successful use.

First - 100%
Second - 33%
Third - 11%
Fourth - 3.6%
Fifth - 1.2%

so on and so forth.

can someone give me a rundown of what I've missed exactly here?

League Announcement: Reminder

A few things, please keep track of your transactions in your posts. Ideally as a foot note towards the end. If you buy 5 pokeballs then you simply put something like:

Pokemon x 5 (-$1,000)

It's easier for everyone if you keep a good record of your inventory and transactions.

Another is, please keep track of the date and your character's location on your post. Mix-ups with time are something I plan to avoid and I noted some people haven't been nothing the dates/locations. Please correct this going forward.

Regarding gym aides, remember that these are all Gold trainers at worst and the should have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Be careful not to undersell them. If you'd like to request someone control the aide during your battle then feel free to take a request.

Regarding battles against other RPers. To make things more realistic, both trainers will send out their pokemon at the same time without knowing what the other's pokemon is. That's to sya you won't be able to observe your opponent's choice in pokemon and then choose a pokemon that has a type advantage.

To achieve this, all participating trainers will privately send the name of whatever pokemon they're using to an non-affiliated third party before the battle starts.

For example, if Hecto and I were battling and we chose Mango as the third party, we'd both privately send him the Pokemon we were going to send out first before the battle began. Then Hecto would be able to hold is to our word.

That'll be all for this announcement, have fun~

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul
@Godjacob
@Tortles
@Grand Master Koop
@MegaAbsol
@kyuukestu
@Foxex
@YoKaiKingEnmaDaiyou
@JadeStar
@ThAtGuY101
@Malcolm102
@OmnipotentOnion
@Chiphead_

League Announcement: Regarding Abilities

We had said prior that abilities were trigger-able similar to in the anime, but we may need to make some adjustments to this. It's come to my attention that abilities, specifically ones with negative effects, like Truant, Defeatist, etc. could become easily abusable with the current system. So we'll need to revamp it.

My current thoughts are to say that by default abilities will be passive, meaning they're always in use. However, certain abilities would be actived/triggered upon entering battle or the pokemon satisfying some kind of condition.

For example, a Pokemon with Sand Stream won't always trigger a sandstorm just be existing but it will trigger a sandstorm upon entering a battle. With that in mind, the energy cost for abilities will be mitigated.

Thoughts? Opinions? Counter-Points?

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul
@Godjacob
@Tortles
@Grand Master Koop
@MegaAbsol
@kyuukestu
@Foxex
@YoKaiKingEnmaDaiyou
@JadeStar
@ThAtGuY101
@Malcolm102
@OmnipotentOnion
@Chiphead_

League Announcement: Energy, Health, and the Defensive Matrix

Alright, since there's quite a bit of confusion on this topic, let me provide an explanation.

Forget about Pokemon for a moment. Let's paint a picture.

Imagine a warrior wearing a set of full plate armor and welding a heavy weapon. Simple enough, yes?

Now, his opponent is another warrior with the same equipment: A full set of armor and a heavy weapon.

These two warriors engage in combat, but it's meant to be friendly, so they're going to try to avoid maiming/killing each other.

To achieve this, the warriors trade blows until either: A) one warrior's armor is hit enough times that it's defensive abilities are compromised or severely damaged, such that any further fighting will result in harm or injury to the warrior's body; B) one of the warriors runs out of stamina, the weapons they're swinging around are quite heavy and they don't have endless strength/stamina to fight for 10 hours straight.

These win conditions are separate from each other, meaning they can occur independently.

Now, let's make some parallels.

The two warriors are Pokemon.

The suit of armor is their defensive matrix/defensive energy.

The heavy weapons are their moves.

The stamina is their energy.

An official league match is considered a friendly spar where you're NOT trying to kill/maim your opponent.

So in an Official League Match, Pokemon can continue to fight until either: A) they are hit with enough moves to deplete their defensive matrix, at that point they'd be considered 'Fainted', not because they're unconscious, but because any further attacks will start doing permanent damage to the Pokemon's body; B) they run out of energy or PP and can no longer utilize moves to deal damage.

This distinction is made because when you're in the wild, when you're exploring ruins, when you're in the middle of a rabid pokemon horde, when you're fighting villains, there's absolutely no guarantee your opponent will stop after your Pokemon's energy is exhausted. In fact, you should straight up assume that your enemy's goal is to try to kill/main you and your pokemon.

Remember, pokemon are creatures who can level mountain and punch through steel plates. In a 'realistic setting', this is what happens when Pokemon fight:

arbok_slashed.png

Untitled-design-44.jpg

and sorry fam, but Nurse Joy isn't healing that.

These are the risks you assume whenever you, as a trainer, decide to go out in the wild and try to 'push your limits'. Wild Pokemon can be very strong, stronger than you in some cases, and death/maiming of your OC or your Pokemon is entirely possible. Make no mistake, the likes of ruins and even certain events possess danger that can take your life. I don't discourage flirting with death though, just remember you do so at your own risk.

Your defensive energy is that suit of armor, it keeps the stakes in a battle to just the outcome of the battle and possible prestige and rewards from winning. In most desperate situations, when your defensive energy is exhausted, choosing to fight means being willing to bite the bullet and decide which limb you want to lose when your opponent lands a 'Slash' attack.

But anyways, Have fun exploring~ :blush:

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul
@Godjacob
@Tortles
@Grand Master Koop
@MegaAbsol
@kyuukestu
@Foxex
@YoKaiKingEnmaDaiyou
@JadeStar
@ThAtGuY101
@Malcolm102
@OmnipotentOnion
@Chiphead_

Instead of the traditional PP increasing items, I think it’d be cool to link them to the trainers as they attempt to increase their fortitude/capacity for certain moves. I also think this could come naturally with using the moves frequently. If they work it out a ton and it becomes more natural it should be easier to use.