1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokemon XD gale of darkness

Discussion in 'Pokémon Games Discussion' started by Uki, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Uki

Uki

Well, I have seen this game before and now I am actually thinking of buying it.

Please post a review of this game if you have it in this format:

How many stars (Out of 5):
    What is good about this game:
    What is bad about this game:
    What you liked:

2. Magpie

Magpie Feathered Overseer
    Staff Member Moderator

How many stars (Out of 5)

I liked the general game play, it flowed quite nicely and kept me interested. I love the double battle aspect to the game, like Colosseum if you've played it, it's different to the Gameboy/DS games which are generally single battle based. The catching of Shadow Pokemon is fun and the game improved soooo much from Colosseum, like you can save whenever you want, not just at PC checkpoints.

The pokemon available to play the game with are limited to those that have been turned into shadow pokemon, and a small selection of pokemon found at Pokeblock sites. Some of the Pokemon are only available near the end, like Magmar for example, who I wanted on my team - but couldn't really as I needed a full squad to play the game. The battles can be a little slow - the dialog can take ages to move on and some moves are just annoying when the graphic is played for each Pokemon. Weather is annoying too. Also, if you miss something in the storyline, it can be very hard to know what to do next.

What you liked:
    Overall I really enjoyed the game. I like the Pokemon being in 3D and the 3D places etc. Like I said above, the game is very enjoyable and different to play, so I'd recommend it ^^

3. KoL

KoL Expert FPS Player
    Staff Member Moderator

How many stars (Out of 5)

The overall difficulty is very well balanced - it isn't too easy nor is it too hard, and the difficulty curve does go up at a very good rate, keeping the game challenging but never unfairly difficult. This is definitely the strongest point.

It was far too short. One day I was in the shop buying it, a few days later I was staring at the credits screen wondering if that was really all there was to it (which it was.) This was a shame because I enjoyed it a lot while it lasted, but it just didn't last long enough. You'll probably beat it within a week.

What you liked:
    It was a step up from Colosseum, which disappointed me on quite a few levels. Graphics and sound really aren't big factors for me, and since XD was fairly average in both areas, I overlooked it. It's a fun game and well worth playing, but if you have a friend who owns this game, borrow their copy and save yourself the cash. The length of the game is too short to keep you occupied for long.