• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon X And Pokémon Y Legendaries Named

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Now, most Pokémon fans will know by now that yesterday saw one of the biggest Pokémon announcements for quite some time with Nintendo revealing Pokémon X and Pokémon Y for the Nintendo 3DS. Now, in the trailer we saw yesterday we got to meet the three starter Pokémon, but we were also shown two legendary Pokémon who will seemingly be the mascots for the two games. At the time details on the two weren't given, but today their English names have been revealed!

PokeacutemonXandYNames_zps91f00b43-1_zpsc9140043.jpg

The deer-like Pokémon will be going by the name of Xerneas (ZURR-nee-us) and is thought to be the mascot for Pokémon X, while the red bird-like Pokémon will go by the name of Yveltal (ee-VELL-tawl) and is thought to be the mascot for Pokémon Y. Oddly enough the two names were first revealed by Pokemon.com's official Pokémon X and Pokémon Y website and their English language Facebook page, while the Japanese side of the franchise has yet to reveal them.

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nice to have the names. They certainly do sound legendary-ish~

I still can't decide which of the legendaries that I like more, so chances are they alone won't be what determines which version of the games that I play first.

They sound like they could be romanized versions of the japanese names (as per usual), and therefore speculation is useless without knowledge of japanese, but Xerneas makes me think of Herne, a cognate of the deity Cernunnos, who is generally associated with deer. And Yveltal, I saw pointed out on another site, sounds a bit like "Eiffel" (ee-VELL --> ee-FELL) which is mildly interesting given the France region speculation.

Oh my goodness there are 2 new pokemon games coming to the world not only this it may have the ability to dress up your trainer and instead of walking and running you should be able to roller skate this is going to be very fun but could use a better names such as pokemon crimson or pokemon majestic :D