• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Announced for 3DS

Yes & no. They are giving Necrozma the same treatment they gave Kyurem, but we're still not sure if this a sequel like BW2 or a retelling like Crystal, Emerald, & Platinum
You do have a point. I think, however, that the whole fusion concept is a creative idea, and that's not all that's new! Whatever kind of sequel game this is, I like it! Heck, it can be extremely similar and fine for me if they fill some of the plot holes they left in Sun/Moon like the whole Mohn and Ultra Beasts thing.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
It's a remake of sun and moon
What I meant to say is that it's not really officially a remake in the way that FRGL, HGSS, and ORAS were, which were old games remade for newer systems (with added features and the like). This is why I'm assuming USUM will be a "third" game more akin to Crystal/Emerald/Platinum: a retelling of the original story as opposed to a sequel, but with some nice new features and stuff.

Well, even though this game is going to be released three days before my birthday... I just have a feeling that the hype from the general public is soon going to be like a mob in the streets of Manhattan...

*Jigacho sits down in the corner nervously sipping his bottle of water*
I'm not too sure. Most stuff I've been seeing on the internet shows that half of the fan base is upset either because we didn't get Pokémon Stars for the Switch, or because we didn't get Diamond & Pearl remakes. If anything, the hype may only be half of what Sun & Moon was

Welp, it looks like its time to burry myself in all of the videos and articles in the worlds. I really want to find out the connection between Lunala, Solgaleo and Necrozma orrrrr maybe I'll just ask MatPat for it

what the... ok i'm really unimpressed with these necrozma forms,, really just looks like some crazy armour on their faces... but telling a different Alola story sounds good, I just want some less irritating characters.
It does bug me that these are on 3ds not switch, I really felt like sun and moon were very bad with their use of the dual screens, removing the menu features from being instantly accessed was a bad decison in my opinion, and i always feel the rotom dex staring back at me is secretly judging me :p
Yay to new alolan pokemon, i want new forms for the whole of gen 4 please ^_^

Welp, it looks like its time to burry myself in all of the videos and articles in the worlds. I really want to find out the connection between Lunala, Solgaleo and Necrozma orrrrr maybe I'll just ask MatPat for it
I doubt he would make a video on it before the game is relased, at which point we probably already have the answer, much like with Black and White 2. :?

*sigh*
It's like, I don't have a 3DS, so I cant get any of the games, but THEn they release a new Pokémon Game ON THE SWITCH, another platform I DONT HAVE AND NEVER WILL T-T

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
*sigh*
It's like, I don't have a 3DS, so I cant get any of the games, but THEn they release a new Pokémon Game ON THE SWITCH, another platform I DONT HAVE AND NEVER WILL T-T
I mean, Pokémon games have always been exclusive to Nintendo handhelds, that's not likely to change anytime soon, I'm afraid. You can pick up a 3DS/2DS system very cheaply now, though – it might be worth looking into for Christmas? :)

Only DS Pokémon games – so Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. You wouldn't be able to play anything newer, like XY, ORAS, Sun/Moon, or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.
Ah well, at least I've got SoulSilver and HeartGold to keep me company

I'm just gonna warrant a guess here and say that USUM utilizes Ultra Wormholes for some timey-wimey stuff to put us into some altered Alolan timeline where we probably arrive after the Ultra Beasts, or they've always existed and are considered a natural part of life but a very select few people know that something is actually wrong here and we need to fix the timeline.

Probably like Dragonball Xenoverse. Only actually decent.

Hopefully this puts the whole "traversing into the other game" aspect that SM only somewhat did post-game to like, good use.

I really don't like these Necrozma forms, they just look kinda awful to me so... not a good first impression. But I guess there's just so little information at this point in time that I can't really feel any hype to begin with... Hopefully that will change with time though.

shut up and take my money! Good thing it releases 16 days after my B-day, gonna have a lot of money to spend after that. Though I may look into getting a new 3DS, my old one currently sits in the corner with the broken screen and the unfunctionable bottom screen. Seems like a lot of people were born in november. Go winter!

DA HYPE IZ REEEAAALLL

Right back at ya, Typhlo.sion, except for the DS part. I depend on my friend for Pokken Tourny. '~'

I gotta be honest... I'm not hyped for this. I beat Moon and started catching Ultra Beasts and then... I stopped. It just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Too many cutscenes and the game was too easy. It didn't feel like much of an "upgrade" from gen 6 in terms of mechanics. Then again, I don't battle much competitively. Haven't touched Moon in a couple months now. I did the same with ORAS. 400+hrs on my X version, barely 60hrs on Omega Ruby.

And with all the good-looking games coming out on the Switch (METROID PRIME 4!!!:D:D:D) my game time is going to be pretty full in the coming months. I still haven't beaten BotW yet. I think I'll pass on these.

Gold/Silver's re-release however... I'll make time for that. I can always make time for that. ;)

@glaman5266 I agree
Pokemon games have gotten to bland. Too easy, dumb story, and no interesting characters. Game Freak must use a fill-in-the-blank template to make these games. Like this:
You are a young trainer in the _______ region. You are given a pokemon by professor __________ and must collect all gym badges in that region. You meet you friend _______ who gets a pokemon with you and becomes your rival. After defeating the first gym you meet grunts of Team ______. Blah blah blah more gym battles blah more grinding blah blah more grunts. The player finds out that Team ________ will use the legendary pokemon _______ to take over the _______ region. After stopping the evil team you capture the legendary _______ and battle the (Painfully easy) Elite four and become champion of the _______ Region.
You could play that. Or you could play original titles like Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, or Metriod this holiday season. What do you think people will choose? Even stupid Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle is more original than this.
I'll buy silver again because it's banking on nostalgia. USUM is trying to make me buy a new fill-in-the-blanks version of SM. No. I will never buy this game.

@Skybeast621 It's not that I didn't like the story or characters. I just didn't like the game throwing cutscene after cutscene at you and that the game was too easy. I always kinda wanted a game where you start in some remote village as a complete nobody/orphan/poor kid with not a dime to your name and you try to make a name for yourself and build up your life/riches/village. A rags-to-riches story with village-building simulator in it or something. Like that circle town/online friend room thingy in S&M (can't remember what it's called, it's late) bit with a lot more control. Think Sim City lite (building placement and such). Tailor it to your taste and play style.
And take away the Exp. Share until you beat the game. Seriously. The games are too easy now. What's wrong with a little grinding and challenge? That's part of the traditional JRPG experience and it's what I want.

I'm withholding judgment on that Mario+Rabbids game. It's original alright. But I'll bet it's probably a blast to play despite the oddball mashup.:D

Last edited:
@Skybeast621 Given I have absolutely zero interest for Mario, Splatoon or Metroid it's pretty clear to me which new Nintendo title I'm going to play. :p Admittedly a lot of the stuff in recent Pokémon games is recycled, but I'll give Ultra versions a try regardless. To be fair though, to me Sun and Moon felt quite different from other Pokémon games; however what made the games less compelling to me was all the information that was out before Sun and Moon were even released.

(Waiting for the trailers timeskip...)
When it came out:
I'm waiting, I'm waiting!
Now:
I'm waiting... *Crumbles into dust.*

Also, would you stop crying about gen 4? To be honest, it's my 5th favorite region. Thank god for Hoenn remakes. That boosted my favorite region way up. I wouldn't mind gen 4 games, I just hate how people are crying and saying gen 4 is the best region. If you look carefully, you know it's gen 3. That's why they made a gen 3 game instead, ya losers.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Also, would you stop crying about gen 4? To be honest, it's my 5th favorite region. Thank god for Hoenn remakes. That boosted my favorite region way up. I wouldn't mind gen 4 games, I just hate how people are crying and saying gen 4 is the best region. If you look carefully, you know it's gen 3. That's why they made a gen 3 game instead, ya losers.
As much as Sinnoh is my least favourite region, that argument just doesn't hold up - you can present subjective arguments as to why any given region is the best if you "look carefully." If you can't find any facts to debate with (and there aren't many against Sinnoh remakes here), you probably shouldn't try to call an opinion a fact.

Also, calling people "losers" isn't the best way to make friends. Food for thought.

Last edited:
@Teapot yeah, sorry. I just hate how people are yelling about Sinnoh all the time. I really want to play it again, but my brother is 'Using it.' It's just, I feel like they're trying to say sinnoh is superior in every way to other regions. I mean, come on. I hoped Gen 1 sequels for the next game.