• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Announced for 3DS

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Today, Game Freak have announced two new games for the 3DS: Pokémon Ultra Sun, and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Not a huge amount is known about the games so far, but they will be released worldwide (finally!) on 17th November 2017, exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family.

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are, as you'd expect, "powered up" versions of Pokémon Sun and Moon, with new additions to the story and features. Rather than being a straight third version or sequel, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon apparently set out to tell an "alternative version" of the Sun and Moon story. The video reveals that they include two new formes of Solgaleo and Lunala – which appear to be fused with parts of Necrozma, and expanded character customisation options and an altered Alolan Pokédex, with Pokémon not previously found in Alola.

Attachments

• DBpNGg8XoAAwo_8.jpg
    DBpNGg8XoAAwo_8.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
HOLY YES! Oh, this looks awesome. I'm psyched we're already getting the next Pokemon game, even if it's mostly a remake. And hey - it releases just a week after my birthday!
Dunno if it counts as a "remake"; some of the previous third versions (like Emerald) serve as a way to sort of fix holes in the story. I'm expecting Ultra Sun/Moon to do the same, along with some added new content.

Today, Game Freak have announced two new games for the 3DS: Pokémon Ultra Sun, and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Not a huge amount is known about the games so far, but they will be released worldwide (finally!) on 17th November 2017, exclusively for 3DS.

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are, as you'd expect, "powered up" versions of Pokémon Sun and Moon, with new additions to the story and features. Rather than being a straight third version or sequel, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon apparently set out to tell an "alternative version" of the Sun and Moon story. The video reveals that they include two new formes of Solgaleo and Lunala – which appear to be fused with parts of Necrozma, and expanded character customisation options and an altered Alolan Pokédex, with Pokémon not previously found in Alola.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yup. Just. This. Ho-ly-AHEMFGRGRFRGFR. *dies* Anyway, so extremely goddamn hyped for this! Can't wait till November to buy Ultra Moon of course, since I bought Moon. Or maybe Ultra Sun? Like I did with Sapphire, but then choose Omega Ruby? Idk. But still, it looks awesome to have a Totem Lycanroc or something. Let's wait until more info comes out! :D

I feel so weird. I'm not actually that hyped. I'm loving my current (AND FIRST) playthrough of Sun. But a big reason is the fact that it's all so new. The Ride Pokemon, the new Alolan Pokemon (I LOVE ROCKRUFF), trials, different islands. I feel like that "new" vibe will be lost if they just do another batch of more of the same. At the same time, I LOVED Black 2/White 2, and I'm getting that sort of vibe from these games. I'll wait to see more of the trailer, considering they're promising MORE new Pokemon. So I guess I'm like 78.4821% hyped. Don't ask.
I have seen a few episodes of a Sun Playthrough, so I know that Lilly leaves for Kanto. At the time, I thought ever actually owning Sun was an unreachable dream. Luckily, I resourced, and have it now. But that's besides the point! I'm thinking that maybe we'll see more of Lilly. Possibly have a throwback to Gold/Silver considering they're having a re-release, and we might head to Kanto after Alola. Anyhoo, that's just my take.

Looks like Project "Stars" was real! Also, the creature under Mimikyu's disguise looks a lot like Marshadow...

Plus, those new forms for Solgaleo and Lunala look a lot like the Radiant Sun and Full Moon Forms.

Last edited:
If the games take place in an alternate universe to go along with the Ulttra Wormholes & the multiverse concept they've been pushing for a while, I'd like it if they mixed up some of the characters' personalities like the do with AU tropes on TV to try and shake up the plot a little more. For example, Lillie could be a tough and serious trainer who takes Gladion's role in US/UM or Sophocles wold become a sports fanatic who loves social interaction

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I expected good things today. I was not disappointed at all! For most of the trailer I was intrigued by the new Pokken game on Switch. Not enough to run out and get a Switch right away mind you, but it still got my attention. Then the scene with the kids happened and maniacal laughter broke out. As I was watching the announcement live while on break, one of my coworkers came in to see if I was ok. I most certainly was! Aside from theorizing about them bringing back the DNA Splicers to merge Necrozma with Solgaleo/Lunala, I'll withhold all speculation until they announce more information in the next few months.

Also really looking forward to Gold and Silver on Virtual Console. I'm disappointed at there being no Crystal to round out the trio (and Crystal being awesome anyway) but oh well. It saves me $5 or how ever much it would have been. :/

Well, even though this game is going to be released three days before my birthday... I just have a feeling that the hype from the general public is soon going to be like a mob in the streets of Manhattan...

*Jigacho sits down in the corner nervously sipping his bottle of water*