• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Pokemon Twisted Beige: Kanto journey with a twist! (Discussion)

Thanks for replying, though a lot of that comes from the original post, which I read. Let me ask another way. Okay, so Red wants rule and order, and he kills people who defy him. So did one Abraham Lincoln. But we know Lincoln didn't do it because "muahaha, most powerful man on earth," he did it to make his nation one again, where people could be equals. Motives matter. Red's got power; what's his motive for using it? Is he trying to make his country objectively better than it was, or does he just want to be worshiped like a god? If the former, what makes a country "good" or "bad"? If the latter, are all his true followers basically atheists and hedonists? I'm not trying to be a smartypants, but this is essential to my character's foundational mindset.

I asked about the point of the pokemon journey because the original one had purpose. "Fill up this hi-tech pokemon encyclopedia." Now its purpose is "pay tribute to Red," but how do you go about doing that correctly? Maybe Red gets annoyed when people pick any starter but Charmander. Maybe Red arranges you to have an "unfortunate accident" if you fumble too many gyms, or by contrast, beat a gym more gracefully than he did in his time. And what do trainers think is waiting at the end? An offer-you-can't-refuse to join Red's Honor Guards? The promise that your family will be fed for life? A wad of gum Red once chewed? I'm looking for some cake that definitely isn't a lie.

Finally, do we act like we normally would, or are there certain subtle "understandings" that this dystopian future holds? Y'know, things everyone knows not to say or do?

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
Thanks for replying, though a lot of that comes from the original post, which I read. Let me ask another way. Okay, so Red wants rule and order, and he kills people who defy him. So did one Abraham Lincoln. But we know Lincoln didn't do it because "muahaha, most powerful man on earth," he did it to make his nation one again, where people could be equals. Motives matter. Red's got power; what's his motive for using it? Is he trying to make his country objectively better than it was, or does he just want to be worshiped like a god? If the former, what makes a country "good" or "bad"? If the latter, are all his true followers basically atheists and hedonists? I'm not trying to be a smartypants, but this is essential to my character's foundational mindset.

I asked about the point of the pokemon journey because the original one had purpose. "Fill up this hi-tech pokemon encyclopedia." Now its purpose is "pay tribute to Red," but how do you go about doing that correctly? Maybe Red gets annoyed when people pick any starter but Charmander. Maybe Red arranges you to have an "unfortunate accident" if you fumble too many gyms, or by contrast, beat a gym more gracefully than he did in his time. And what do trainers think is waiting at the end? An offer-you-can't-refuse to join Red's Honor Guards? The promise that your family will be fed for life? A wad of gum Red once chewed? I'm looking for some cake that definitely isn't a lie.

Finally, do we act like we normally would, or are there certain subtle "understandings" that this dystopian future holds? Y'know, things everyone knows not to say or do?
The journey is like the original one where the trainer aspires to fill the pokedex, battle and become the best trainer and as you say, most of these trainers are seen as people who will end up as Red's guards by people like Stephan. Red isn't so much worshipped like a god, but more like a Jesus, where he was thought to save the country, whilst still being human. Even the people that know Red personally and work for him don't know the full truth and follow his word as the law. Red was used as the 'perfect' role model by the state, to discipline people.

Everyone in the rp is lied to, essentially. Think of it like after the gen 1 game, where people looked up to Red and we see him as a hero. Now take that and make it into an elliaborate lie that is told to the people and everyone on the planet. Think of this as 'gen 1 remakes' but what we have been told isn't true. People still have the same goals as before, it's just there are hidden goals employed by the state. People know from counterless years of propaganda (which they are not aware is even propaganda) not to question Red and not to criticise him. There isn't a body that regulates criticism but they do hold penalties for people they have evidence of criticisising. If your character doesn't comform to the social norms that society restricted upon it, then it's likely your character is from another region, preferably not Johto, as it is also being controlled by Red, since they share an elite four.

It's very hard to reply to you in trying to give you an answer that you are looking for. I find it very hard to explain.

We just wanna know Red's ideals.
Red wants to continue controlling the region without a large opposition. He wants people to use him as a role model and he wants to control people in Kanto. I've mentioned this in earlier posts, I believe. Red also wants to still be the strongest trainer. Part of the 'journey' is to get rid of opposition as in, if someone was to challenge the league and get to Red, he would remove them out of the picture by defeating them in his champion defence title.

So he just wanna control a region? He'll never get bored of that?
Well, currently in the rp yes, but he has dreams of taking over the other regions. He has taken Johto actually thinking about it, since they share the same League. Part of his inspiration to go on is the delight he takes in crushing opposition. There's actually a fair deal of opposition that is silenced. Noone knows about except for Red and his 'minions.' Maybe the RP will shed more light on this. He does enjoy a challenging battle mind you, which explains why he had the professor give out starters and initiate a journey for some young trainers. Prehaps another secret pleasure of his will be to choose a successor, incase he does die unexpectedly.

If Lt. Surge or Koga were asked to describe Red, besides "strong," what five synonyms would THEY attribute to him? Again, not who he actually is, but how he is perceived to be? Because these will be their values as well. Here's a list:

Adaptable, adventurous, affectionate, ambitious, compassionate, considerate, courageous, courteous, diligent, empathetic, frank, generous, impartial, inventive, modest, passionate, persistent, practical, rational, reliable, resourceful, sensible, sincere, unassuming, witty

(I'm curious as to why Red feels he must lie about who he really is, since it creates a country that, in the end, isn't in his image at all. But I get the feeling I've already asked a lot.)

What's his team? and "levels" (if that's a thing)
I plan on his team being like his ingame teams-the three fully evolved starter pokemon: Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaur. He will also have a Snorlax and a Pikachu/Raichu (He'll be a Raichu by the end).Then, I'm trying to deciede should he have Lapras and repeat a type. I honestly don't think it matters but his levels will be like ingame when you challenge him on Mt.Silver or maybe bump the levels down a bit to match how Blue and Lance's levels were. It may be that the levels are the same as his pokemon when you fight him in Mt.Silver, just to make him stand out and point him out as one of the greatest trainers on the planet.

If Lt. Surge or Koga were asked to describe Red, besides "strong," what five synonyms would THEY attribute to him? Again, not who he actually is, but how he is perceived to be? Because these will be their values as well. Here's a list:

Adaptable, adventurous, affectionate, ambitious, compassionate, considerate, courageous, courteous, diligent, empathetic, frank, generous, impartial, inventive, modest, passionate, persistent, practical, rational, reliable, resourceful, sensible, sincere, unassuming, witty

(I'm curious as to why Red feels he must lie about who he really is, since it creates a country that, in the end, isn't in his image at all. But I get the feeling I've already asked a lot.)
I guess the words 'adventurous' and 'ambitious' would come to THEIR minds, but they would never be asked that question, because to them, they don't question their leader or answer questions about how they think of Red to be, they just do what they're told. If you ever did ask them, both of them would just say something about how much respect they've got for him.

Think of the USSR's Stalin and the state he created, or Hitler and his Facist German state. That is what I am trying to depict Red's regime and Kanto like. He is trying to exercise control over the people and he is toying with their freedoms to try and make them think they have freedom. If they knew the full truth, more people would rise up and remove Red, meaning he would not longer be in power.He needs the people as much as he needs the pokemon.

It's worth pointing out that in the games, he doesn't say anything. His dialogue is literally just '...' after another.

Also, when Red just randomly appears in the overworld, this kind of song plays:

Just before you battle Red at the end, between Lance and Red-there is a group of long hallways. They will also have this theme!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dudes. I've thought it over, and my mind's made up. Looks like I'll be joining you guys after all. After today, expect me to post once per day regularly, until the story is over. As I said before, please feel free to use my character, Hibiki, to progress the story as you see fit. I'll be updating his personality profile in a few minutes.

Also: I've got two proposals I'd like to set before you guys.
1. After the first or second page, I'd also like a small amount of control over your characters. I won't make 'em do anything stupid, I just think it would make story points flow a bit smoother.
2. In that same vein of logic, I also propose we have a TIME SKIP option now and then, so that events don't drag on in real time, but go from plot point to plot point like you see in shows and movies. I've witnessed the action drag out in a bunch of failed RPGs, and I think that as long as we give a warning of a TIME SKIP in advance, it might be a good idea.

Just something to mull over. I'm gonna edit Hibiki's profile now.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Cool beans. I don't care if people auto my characters as long as... well... people should know the limit is all I'm gonna say.

Last edited:

Hey dudes. I've thought it over, and my mind's made up. Looks like I'll be joining you guys after all. After today, expect me to post once per day regularly, until the story is over. As I said before, please feel free to use my character, Hibiki, to progress the story as you see fit. I'll be updating his personality profile in a few minutes.

1. After the first or second page, I'd also like a small amount of control over your characters. I won't make 'em do anything stupid, I just think it would make story points flow a bit smoother.
2. In that same vein of logic, I also propose we have a TIME SKIP option now and then, so that events don't drag on in real time, but go from plot point to plot point like you see in shows and movies. I've witnessed the action drag out in a bunch of failed RPGs, and I think that as long as we give a warning of a TIME SKIP in advance, it might be a good idea.

My only problem with you controlling characters is first of all, which ones will you control specifically? I do have plans for the gym leaders, elite four and Red, not to mention, I wanted there to be a Team Rocket encounter in the sewers of Celadon City, where we find out Giovanni ISN'T dead and is actually good. I would be for the time skip, so long as we get every gym leader battle in. The reason why I question the autoing is because you have only been a member since yesterday, according to your profile. Now, you seem like the kind of person that wouldn't screw things over, you actually seem knowledgable compared to some of the newer RPers around here. I will allow you to control certain NPC characters that I will control so long as you ask for each specific one and say what you are going to do.

PopeyPenguin

Previously Mecha Who

I don't care for autoing with my character, really don't. But please I don't want anyone autoing with my character to do something really important. I'm going to be TRIGGERED if you do this, but I have a really good reason to.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
LOL ASH JUST GOT EPICLY TROLLED
Professor Ash was angered when he saw Chris dissappear. "Hold up!" He shouted. He looked at the other trainers. "So you've decieded to pick Bulbasaur! Good choice." He said to Karma. "I was going to give that guy two more things before he left. I was going to give him 5 pokeballs and a pokedex. Will you catch up to him and give it to him?" Ash said to Karma, handing her a box full of the items missed. "Oh here are your stuff!" Ash also handed a seperate Pokedex and pokeballs for Karma herself.
lmao anyways I want everyone's phone number. why? cuz I have a watch phone that's cool so wynaut?

Our characters, yes. I'll try to minimize it into the automatic stuff, such as shaking hands- aaaaand Cosmic beat me. Dang, you guys are going so fast that I can't keep up. And though I didn't mean gym leaders and their actions, I am curious to see how that will play out. I was in a couple of games where the story's leader would issue EVERY move the gym leader made, whereas in others, s/he would tell us what pokemon the gym leader planned on using, then left it to us to cover the battle. I can say this much: the former always took days longer to get through.

PopeyPenguin

Previously Mecha Who
Yap, ya can, @CosmicDreams!!
Name: Mike (I'm in love with this name)
Sex: Male
Hometown: Pallet Town (I'm too lazy to think in other town)
Starter (Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander): Squirtl

Our characters, yes. I'll try to minimize it into the automatic stuff, such as shaking hands- aaaaand Cosmic beat me. Dang, you guys are going so fast that I can't keep up. And though I didn't mean gym leaders and their actions, I am curious to see how that will play out. I was in a couple of games where the story's leader would issue EVERY move the gym leader made, whereas in others, s/he would tell us what pokemon the gym leader planned on using, then left it to us to cover the battle. I can say this much: the former always took days longer to get through.
I can't keep up...but you seem to write differently to some people. You call RPs 'RPGs' and you use the word 'games' which suggests a different kind to what this site offers, in a way.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
And he'll get BOTH Hitmonchan and Hitmontop from the Fighting Dojo (now a gym, btw) and he'll make sure noone can get one!
you got it buddy. if he can only get one he'll probs steal the other and expose the gym leader by being a douche and blackmailing him or something.
Forget one letter, sorry.
*Squirtle.
i was just trolling lol

Okay, a half-hour later the opening post is up. Again, I'm slow with my posts because I make myself think through what I want to put down, so . . . sorry about any real-time pacing. It didn't help that the red flag in the upper righthand corner kept alerting me to updates. I finally gave up and made my intro in Word. Hopefully I didn't present Gold as too out of character to what Johnson had in mind. I like to think that, hardassed as he is with his image to the rest of the world, Gold has a soft spot for family.

After re-scrolling through the topic, I think everyone's cool with their character being auto-ed except 9012_dirt, who hasn't written one way or the other here. But now I must ask an obvious question. Johnson's been gone for, like, an hour, and I'm pretty sure Professor Ash qualifies as an NPC character we probably won't see again for a while. It's kind of a given that, based on his past behavior, the good Professor is going to give Hibiki a Charmander, a Pokedex, five balls, and send him on his merry way. Buuuut I'm still very new in most senses, so I'm thinking I'd better hold off on Hibiki catching up to Karma and Chris.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Why must Karma be so mean. It's quite funny. Karma can be annoying when it's an abstract noun, and now she's an annoying person. No offense, but when you're like "what a brat" people don't really wanna hang out with you. Then again, when you're all huffing and the person's like "can we get this over with?" that person is annoying too.