• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Sword/Shield's first DLC pack to launch on the 17th June

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
dlc1-date.png

Meeting their original promise to release the first of two DLC expansions for Sword & Shield "before the end of June", the Pokémon Company has announced today that The Isle of Armor will be available to download from the 17th June.

A few new details about the expansion have also been announced, including the first information on Galarian Slowbro.

As well as the new story content, new wild area and new and returning Pokémon already confirmed for the first DLC, several new moves and features will also be introduced and exclusively available within this area.

6_02_p12_02.jpg

The Cram-O-Matic is a device available within the Dojo on the Isle of Armor. If you feed it four items, a new item, such as PokéBalls, PP Ups and even rarer items will be coughed up in return. If you've wound up with a huge collection of unused items thanks to Max Raids, this could be a great opportunity to convert them into something more useful instead.

A new, awkwardly named, item 'Armorite Ore' can be acquired through Max Raid Battles in the new Isle of Armor 'wild area'. This can then be exchanged for new tutor moves, including Burning Jealousy - a Fire type attack that deals damage to all opposing Pokémon, while burning any that had their stats boosted in the previous turn - and Grassy Glide - a new Grass type attack that has a boosted priority when Grassy Terrain is active.

6_02_p14_01.jpg

A 'Max Soup', made of rare ingredients you must gather around the island, will also be available to treat your Pokémon to. This will allow you to, at the very least, give your starter Pokémon the ability to Gigantimax. We'll have to wait a couple of weeks to find out whether this is only available once for this purpose, or if it will allow you to make any Pokémon with a Gigantimax form capable of using it.

Finally, a new 'Restricted Sparring' battle style will also launch with the DLC. This limits the Pokémon types you'll be able to use in that battle, requiring some strategic choices in your teams and attacks.

pokemon_slowbro_2x.png

Galarian Slowbro
Type: Poison / Psychic
Ability: Quick Draw

After Galarian Slowpoke was introduced alongside the announcement of the DLC itself, its evolutions, Slowbro and Slowking, have both remained a mystery. While Galarian Slowking won't be available until the Crown Tundra pack releases later in the year, the Isle of Armor will finally allow Galarian Slowpokes to evolve into Slowbro.

Moving on from Galarian Slowpoke's pure Psychic type, Galarian Slowbro is part Poison thanks to a Shellder bite setting off a "chemical reaction with the spices inside Galarian Slowpoke’s body" (the same spices that turned Slowpoke yellow).

6_02_p05_01.jpg

Galarian Slowbro has a signature attack, Shell Side Arm, a Poison move in which it fires poisonous liquid from the tip of the Shellder attached to its arm. As well as potentially poisoning its opponent, it also inflicts either physical or special type damage depending on which would harm its target more.

pokemon_gvenasaur_2x.png

Gigantimax Venusaur

Gigantimax Venusaur's G-Max move is Vine Leash. As well as dealing damage when used, this move also continues to deal damage for four turns afterwards to any Pokémon that isn't a grass type.

pokemon_gblastoise_2x.png

Gigantimax Blastoise

Gigantimax Blastoise's G-Max move, G-Max Cannonade, has the same effect as Venusaur's attack, except for any Pokémon that isn't a water type.

Both Gigantimax Venusaur and Blastoise will be available with the Isle of Armor DLC.

Any new and returning Pokémon, or new Max Raids, will be available to anyone that doesn't buy the DLC by trading with anyone that does, or joining their Raids.

6_02_p15_02.jpg

We also got some of the first concrete details about the second, Crown Tundra pack, due out this Autumn.

6_02_p27_01.jpg

In Dynamax Adventures, you'll be able to team up with three other players to fully explore Pokémon Dens. As you progress, you'll encounter a number of Dynamax Pokémon, including potentially a large range of legendaries. Unlike the recent Mewtwo raid events, however, you will be able to capture these Pokémon... if you can beat them...

6_02_p28_02.jpg

Once you complete the adventure in the Crown Tundra, you'll be able to participate in the Galarian Star Tournament in Wyndon City. Much like the Pokémon League battles you can continuously retry after beating the main game, this will see you fighting rematches with the cast of Gym Leaders and more from the rest of the game. In this mode, however, you'll be able to choose one of them to team up with in a series of 2 vs 2 matches.

Finally, we got some firm details on the new Legendary Pokémon being introduced in this second expansion:

pokemon_regieleki_2x.png

Regieleki
Type: Electric
Ability: Transistor (NEW - Effect currently unknown)

One of two new 'Regi' Legendaries introduced in this expansion, Regieleki brings with it a new Electric attack, Thunder Cage.

6_02_p17_02.jpg

As well as causing immediate damage to its opponents, they will then find themselves trapped within this electrified cage for four-to-five turns, causing damage and trapping them in play.

We don't yet know exactly what Transistor does, but Regieleki is described as both "absorbing" electrical energy and its Electric attacks "pack the greatest power of any used by Electric-type Pokémon" - suggesting that it at least directly boosts Electric type attacks, as well as perhaps providing Regieleki with immunity to them itself.

pokemon_regidrago_2x.png

Regidrago
Type: Dragon
Ability: Dragon's Maw (NEW - Effect currently unknown)

Supposedly created by Regigigas itself, Regidrago was sealed away unfinished by people fearing its destructive power should it ever have been completed. Regidrago is said to be able to use Dragon type attacks with greater power than other Pokémon, suggesting that its new ability - Dragon's Maw - also boosts its Dragon type attacks.

One of those attacks is its new signature move, Dragon Energy.

6_02_p19_01.jpg

The more health Regidrago has remaining, the more powerful this destructive beam will be.

pokemon_articuno_2x.png

Galarian Articuno
Type: Psychic/Flying
Ability: Competitive

As well as a new type-pairing, Galarian Articuno has a new signature attack: Freezing Glare. This Psychic type special attack can also potentially freeze opponents.

pokemon_zapados_2x.png

Galarian Zapdos

Type: Fighting/Flying
Ability: Defiant

Galarian Zapdos's signature move, Thunderous Kick, is a fighting type physical move that can also lower the target's Defense stat.

pokemon_moltres_2x.png

Galarian Moltres

Type: Dark/Flying
Ability: Defiant

Fiery Wrath, Galarian Moltres' new signature attack, "transforms its wrath into a fire-like aura" to attack with. It can also make its opponent flinch.

The full trailer can be seen below:

So my group did a Random Monotype tournament tonight, and in my first round against AJ... well, it was amazing. It’s the first comment on my current status, and if you have time to check it out I think you’d enjoy it.

I'm really really psyched to know we only have to wait a couple more weeks for this.

Questions I have about what's to come.
1: If there's a Galarian Slowbro, what are the chances on there being a Galarian Slowking too?
2: With the two new Regis revealed, do you think there may be a Galarian Regigigas?

I also think it's fitting that their new types stay like one of those Rock, Paper, Scissors things like the Kalos starters; Dark, Psychic and Fighting.

Galarian Slowbro also has one hell of an interesting move; I heard that it can either be Physical/Special depending on what'll hurt more.

My slow bro is looking pretty good. Cant w as it to see the slow king.

I like the water urshifu because it makes a lot of sense. A lot of chinese martial arts like wushu(the style urshifu and kubfu inspired from) like many king fu styles theres a lot of fluid movements.

I like the stance the dark type one sits in. Horse stance is the english translation of it. It's very defensive in nature while the water type stands on one leg. This stance is only useful for kicking or transitioning between stances. The stance the dark type sits in is more useful. Obviously this will have little to no effect on stats or anything ,but its the little things ya know?...

I like the fact that they chose stances from actual martial arts.

The name references are cool.

Kubfu - kung fu (chinese martial arts)

Urshifu - shifu (kung fu instructor)

so i have a bad feeling that i wont be able to bring my Volcorona in this game and breed it :p also i cant wait for this to come and my uncle leave to not know anything about this T~T